Old May 9th 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default WWII Bunker

there would be if they hung fairy lights up

Old May 9th 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

what is RTTC?

Old May 9th 05, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

lonelytraveller typed:
there would be if they hung fairy lights up

There would be what? For goodness sake, please quote enough of the text
to which you are replying so as to make your post meaningful to others.
You claimed earlier that Google groups would not allow you to do that,
but other users seem to manage. It's not that difficult just to copy
and paste the relevant paragraph. You should not assume that others
will read the post you are replying to immediately before yours.
--
Richard J.

Old May 9th 05, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

lonelytraveller typed:
what is RTTC?

The book "Rails Through The Clay", already mentioned in this thread.
--
Richard J.

Old May 9th 05, 10:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 May 2005 00:44:47 -0700, "lonelytraveller"
wrote:

None of the northern line ones mention that the old interchange
concourse at euston is still there below the modern one, but it is
nethertheless - the books don't tell you everything, only the stuff
thats obvious and everyone else knows

You know, I've tried to think of a suitable response to your latest
example of bull**** statement - especially your final "**** you" to
all the writers doing original research, who are definitely _not_ (as
you suggest) reguritating all their predecessors - but really I can't
be bothered any more.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Old May 10th 05, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

JRS: In article ,
dated Mon, 9 May 2005 21:16:33, seen in news:uk.transport.london,
Richard J. posted :
lonelytraveller typed:
there would be if they hung fairy lights up

There would be what? For goodness sake, please quote enough of the text
to which you are replying so as to make your post meaningful to others.
You claimed earlier that Google groups would not allow you to do that,
but other users seem to manage. It's not that difficult just to copy
and paste the relevant paragraph. You should not assume that others
will read the post you are replying to immediately before yours.

Keith Thompson wrote in comp.lang.c, message ID
:-
the "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options"
at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of
the article headers.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
Old May 10th 05, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Please excuse and forgive me if this is VERY old hat but I have been away
from the Newsgroup for a long time.

As I understand it a certain length of additional tunneling was done on the
central line way back with a view to having extra tracks. This work was
abandoned and I know one section was taken over by what was then the GPO
(BT) as an underground exchange. This is mentioned in one ofJames Herberts
books (Domain or Lair). At the time I worked for BT and asked my boss about
this and he confirmed the details mentioned in the book. He also said that
at the time when it was being used London Underground even used to make them
buy platform tickets when they needed access via the station!

Steve

"Kat" wrote in message
lonelytraveller wrote:
I had read that there were some shelters built under some of the
central tube stations, but that the planned one at St. Pauls was never
actually built.

Now, I was passing through St. Pauls this morning on an eastbound
train, and happened to stand at the back (west), which is unusual for
me, and when we got to St. Pauls, I noticed that there seemed to be a
series of several black doors at the west end of the platform. I would
guess this is pretty close to where the old post office building was,
near the bombed church, and there seems to be a wierd blockhouse in a
similar position in the middle of the road on the surface.

Did they build it after all, as it would have been good for the Post
office, but keep it secret, or are these doors something completely
unconnected?

According to our duty manager, who used to work on that group, the doors
do lead to what was going to be a shelter. He said that while the
excavating was taking place local people complained about the noise and
got the work stopped by finding some ancient law forbidding any tunnelling
under St Paul's Cathedral. The excavated area is now a ventilation shaft
and the block house thing you describe is the top of it.
That was what I was told.....
--
Kat

Old May 10th 05, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I think other users subscribe via the medium of e-mail and so can quote
the text. I reply via google, so don't get the option.

Old May 10th 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I suppose that could have been the cavern then.

Old May 10th 05, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

lonelytraveller typed:
I think other users subscribe via the medium of e-mail and so can
quote the text. I reply via google, so don't get the option.

You are mistaken. If you don't know how to drive Google Groups, you
could at least have the courtesy to copy and paste.
--
Richard J.