Old May 16th 05, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Adverts at TCR

The advertising posters alongside the main escalator bank at Tottenham
Court Road have all been replaced by flat screen displays, showing
adverts of course.

There's some advantage been taken - there was an advert involving water
flowing down several screens - but I'm not convinced it's worth it.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old May 16th 05, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:52:10 on Mon, 16
May 2005, Clive D. W. Feather remarked:
The advertising posters alongside the main escalator bank at Tottenham
Court Road have all been replaced by flat screen displays, showing
adverts of course.

There's some advantage been taken - there was an advert involving water
flowing down several screens - but I'm not convinced it's worth it.

Maybe it's a trial. I can thing of many reasons why they'd choose TCR
for such a thing.
Old May 16th 05, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
The advertising posters alongside the main escalator bank at Tottenham
Court Road have all been replaced by flat screen displays, showing
adverts of course.

There's some advantage been taken - there was an advert involving water
flowing down several screens - but I'm not convinced it's worth it.

Presumably TfL aren't losing out financially on this (otherwise there
wouldn't be any point!), so if it's going to swell their coffers a bit,
it probably is worth it...

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 17th 05, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
The advertising posters alongside the main escalator bank at
Tottenham Court Road have all been replaced by flat screen
displays, showing adverts of course.

How many of them have been vandalised? Considering the state of many of
the paper adverts I wonder how durable these screens are.

Old May 17th 05, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
The advertising posters alongside the main escalator bank at Tottenham
Court Road have all been replaced by flat screen displays, showing
adverts of course.

There's some advantage been taken - there was an advert involving water
flowing down several screens - but I'm not convinced it's worth it.

Well, I suppose it depends how much extra TfL [1] can charge advertisers
for such a "premium" service.

[1] Or is it Viacom now?

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old May 17th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
The advertising posters alongside the main escalator bank at

Tottenham
Court Road have all been replaced by flat screen displays, showing
adverts of course.

There's some advantage been taken - there was an advert involving

water
flowing down several screens - but I'm not convinced it's worth it.

I remember a TV-based advertising scheme on the Piccadilly westbound
(?)platform at Leicester Square, and also at Heathrow T4 platform -
don't think these lasted longer than a few years.

Also, the Paris Metro in the 1980's had something on a couple of dozen
platforms if I remember rightly - called 'Tube' I believe - that was
removed in the early 90's.

I don't know if the economics of this type of display has improved
enough for it to be financially viable long-term - it may well have
done, but durability is surely going to be an issue.

Old May 17th 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Newt wrote:

I think it was Rue Montmartre (now Grands Boulevards) metro stop that

had, in about 2000, TV screens hanging down along the platform

showing
news, weather, ads, film clips etc.

Thinking about it, I remember now on the Madrid metro in 2002 they had
something similar at a couple of stations (at least) - weather was the
one thing that I found useful.

Old May 17th 05, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:34:54 on
Tue, 17 May 2005, John Ray remarked:
In some of the stations in Sydney (NSW), e.g. Kings Cross, they have
white-painted sections of tunnel wall with images projected on to them
from what looks rather like a slide projector. If I remember correctly
they were advertising new cinema releases.

What happened to the plan to project adverts onto the walls of tube
tunnels so that commuters could see them out of the windows?

No wi-fi for TCR; and a map problem Offramp London Transport 1 May 31st 16 10:48 AM
Bank in 3D / TCR lonelytraveller London Transport 1 March 12th 12 12:26 PM
Projector adverts London Transport 14 January 11th 07 01:03 PM
St Pauls Station, no adverts? Kevin OShea London Transport 0 August 30th 04 01:38 AM
No platform adverts at St Paul's Vic London Transport 2 August 1st 03 03:48 PM