Old May 26th 05, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Jubilee Line Closure

On 26 May 2005 21:45:07 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Presumably to protect against a situation where the JLE doors "think" it's
a long train, but it isn't.

Good point, hadn't thought of the PEDs.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Old May 26th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Oh. Hardly peak time. Panic over.

Glad I've got a car - if I relied on public transport to get to work It'd

be
a nightmare.

Funnily enough, where I work far more car drivers are late for work than
those who come in by PT...
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

Old May 27th 05, 07:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Barry Salter
writes

Doesn't really surprise me, especially for those based at Arnos Grove.
The North Circ's a nightmare most of the day, and Bowes Road ain't much
better...The sooner it gets widened, the better.

I thought it had been decided not to actually widen the NCR but to do an
assortment of 'improvements' to the various junctions as that would be
cheaper?
Old May 27th 05, 07:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Steve
Dulieu writes

Funnily enough, where I work far more car drivers are late for work than
those who come in by PT...

Hah! - you don't call that work ;-)
Old May 27th 05, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Steve
Dulieu writes

Funnily enough, where I work far more car drivers are late for work than
those who come in by PT...

Hah! - you don't call that work ;-)

Hmmm, good point Steve. OK, funnily enough, where I spend my days in relaxed
indolence far more car drivers etc, etc...:-)

Old May 27th 05, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Funnily enough, where I work far more car drivers are late for work than
those who come in by PT...

I arrived 20 minutes early for work at 11PM last night. Had I gone via
train I'd have had to leave 15 minutes earlier and (as it turns out)
would have been late.

Of course this morning I left at 11:20, and even after stopping for
petrol and heavy traffic in chiswich, I was home 20 minutes before I'd
have been via the train - assuming a tube to Ealing had turned up on
time.

How would I get to work (Shepherds Bush) on Boxing Day if I lived at
stanmore without a car?

Public transport is great for the 9-5 masses, but for the rest of us
the complete closures at various weekends means that it's simply not
reliable.

Old May 27th 05, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 27 May 2005:

Funnily enough, where I work far more car drivers are late for work than
those who come in by PT...

I arrived 20 minutes early for work at 11PM last night. Had I gone via
train I'd have had to leave 15 minutes earlier and (as it turns out)
would have been late.

However, you are only one person. I could give a counter-example, in
that it takes my husband approximately 45-50 minutes, door-to-door,
going to work by public transport. On the rare occasions he takes the
car, it takes him at least 1 1/2 hours.

[Snip]

How would I get to work (Shepherds Bush) on Boxing Day if I lived at
stanmore without a car?

Public transport is great for the 9-5 masses, but for the rest of us
the complete closures at various weekends means that it's simply not
reliable.

I think I've missed something here - why would people not use public
transport most of the time, but occasionally use the car when they had a
good reason to do so, such as PT not running?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old May 27th 05, 02:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

However, you are only one person. I could give a counter-example, in
that it takes my husband approximately 45-50 minutes, door-to-door,
going to work by public transport. On the rare occasions he takes the
car, it takes him at least 1 1/2 hours.

Why would he take the car?

I think I've missed something here - why would people not use public
transport most of the time, but occasionally use the car when they had a
good reason to do so, such as PT not running?

Once you own a car, the cost of a journey collapses dramatically
(insurance, tax etc doesnt increase per mile), and ends up below that
of P.T. For the majority of the country a car is always faster than
P.T. London is a special case, as it's such an overcrowded ********,
but even in London its faster offpeak to travel by car.

I agree I will subject myself to the train if I have to get into work
for some unusual time like 9AM, however those are few and far between
(and last time I drove in for arround 9AM - as there were 2 trains an
hour peak time when there's normally 6) I went to heathrow, and it
ended up faster anyway.

Old May 27th 05, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Dulieu wrote:

Funnily enough, where I work far more car drivers are late for work than
those who come in by PT...

Surely it's those Train Ops who drive in who can use the excuse "sorry
I'm late, bl**dy traffic at Staples Corner, Hanger Lane, M1" etc
without any expectation that the truth of this can be verified, whereas
those using LU services know any such false claims of disruption are
far more easily exposed? Thus PT users are more likely to leave for
work with time to spare.

Call me a cynic ("You're a cynic....")

Kim Rennie

Old May 27th 05, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 27 May 2005:

However, you are only one person. I could give a counter-example, in
that it takes my husband approximately 45-50 minutes, door-to-door,
going to work by public transport. On the rare occasions he takes the
car, it takes him at least 1 1/2 hours.

Why would he take the car?

If we are going on somewhere after work - most usually, it is more
convenient for both of us for him to meet me at the station (not
necessarily near his work, often near where we are going) so that we can
drive home together afterwards, usually late at night.

I think I've missed something here - why would people not use public
transport most of the time, but occasionally use the car when they had a
good reason to do so, such as PT not running?

Once you own a car, the cost of a journey collapses dramatically
(insurance, tax etc doesnt increase per mile), and ends up below that
of P.T. For the majority of the country a car is always faster than
P.T. London is a special case, as it's such an overcrowded ********,
but even in London its faster offpeak to travel by car.

Depends on when off peak, and where you are going! In the small hours
of the morning, I'd be inclined to agree. But at 2.00 or 8.00 pm it can
be very slow going. Our car tends to live in the garage and only come
out for the occasional evening trip (and the occasions described above,
which are not frequent) and on weekend mornings.

I agree I will subject myself to the train if I have to get into work
for some unusual time like 9AM, however those are few and far between
(and last time I drove in for arround 9AM - as there were 2 trains an
hour peak time when there's normally 6) I went to heathrow, and it
ended up faster anyway.

But if you were going to Heathrow to fly on, then it works out more
expensive since you have to pay for car parking! There are times it's
worth doing that, but not often.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/