Old June 9th 05, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Overground Network progress (was London Connections Map)

Dave Arquati wrote:

The ON map is very similar, just adding in the useful frequency element.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what's happening to the ON? The
website has never been updated, but I've noticed the orange and grey
information boards appearing at Tulse Hill and Gipsy Hill (albeit
without ON branding) and Brockley and New Cross Gate seem to have the
line diagrams (though I don't think they were on the original routes).

Old June 9th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Rupert Candy wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

The ON map is very similar, just adding in the useful frequency element.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what's happening to the ON? The
website has never been updated, but I've noticed the orange and grey
information boards appearing at Tulse Hill and Gipsy Hill (albeit
without ON branding) and Brockley and New Cross Gate seem to have the
line diagrams (though I don't think they were on the original routes).

The announcement of funding for minor ON improvements to Earlsfield,
Tulse Hill, Hayes, West Wickham, Eden Park and Norwood Junction was made
in September last year. As for the other stations, I have no idea. I
think the aim is to get the improvements (i.e. CCTV, lighting, cycle
parking and improved information) rolled out to most of the stations
marked on the ON map.

On an ON note, one problem that appears to me is that part of the
original South London Metro idea which this is based on was to promote
better use of trains around South London itself, rather than just for
journeys to and from the centre. The ON is centred around journeys
to/from central London termini.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old June 9th 05, 10:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 9 Jun 2005 05:24:24 -0700, "Rupert Candy"
wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote:

The ON map is very similar, just adding in the useful frequency element.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what's happening to the ON? The
website has never been updated, but I've noticed the orange and grey
information boards appearing at Tulse Hill and Gipsy Hill (albeit
without ON branding) and Brockley and New Cross Gate seem to have the
line diagrams (though I don't think they were on the original routes).

Orange/grey info boards and line diagrams on the platforms and
footbridge appeared at Honor Oak Park a few weeks ago.

It's a shame, because I think the Southern green/white is the best
mainline signage in my lifetime.

Old June 9th 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Most Mid-Kent line (Lewisham - Hayes) stations have now had most of the
work done. Lighting, CCTV, Help Points, better noticeboards, LUL style
line maps of the stops from each platform. New ticket machines are
being fitted this week.

I'm not totally convinced by the ON brand but it is certainly allowing
significant improvments to stations to take place. I guess once the
work is done, some publicity would be good to tempt casual users onto
trains for some local journeys.

regards
HN28

Old June 10th 05, 06:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default London Connections Map

In message , at 09:21:11 on Tue,
7 Jun 2005, gwr4090 remarked:
There's a new London Connections map out .....

But no services shown out of St Pancras ?

First stop Luton Airport Parkway, which is off the edge of the map.

But yes, I think StP is the only terminus with no services, shown on the
map.

Old June 10th 05, 06:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 17:20:47 on Tue,
7 Jun 2005, Theo Markettos remarked:
St Pancras was only shown as having Thameslink services during the
blockade. |I've just checked and the pre-blockade London Connections
map (June 2004) shows St Pancras in the same manner as this new (May
2005) map, i.e. without any services running from it.

Though the map now shows services to Nottingham, Derby, Sheffield etc as
extensions of Thameslink from West Hampstead.

To be consistent with most [1] other terminii in naming only directly
served destinations, it should really say "Luton, Airport, Bedford and
The East Midlands".

[1] The FGWL box would need Swindon, Bath and Bristol removing, too.
Old June 10th 05, 07:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Have you seen our frequency mapmovie?

http://www.quickmap.com/map2tt.htm

Andrew

Matthew Dickinson wrote:
There's a new London Connections map out with Heathrow Connect
depicted as a seperate service between Ealing Broadway & Heathrow
Terminals 1,2 & 3.

The BAA stations are depicted outside the Zone 6 shading.

It also has updated the opening dates for Shepherds Bush & Imperial
Wharf to 2006.

(These two stations were listed as calling points for the Silverlink
service on the platform indicator at Clapham Junction yesterday)

Old June 10th 05, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

James Farrar wrote:

It's a shame, because I think the Southern green/white is the best
mainline signage in my lifetime.

That's true - though presumably the station names and 'general' signage
are still in the green and white (if they've been changed over yet)?
Gipsy Hill has the lovely new signs attached to the crumbling old
footbridge, where almost every step has now come loose...

Old June 10th 05, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 10 Jun 2005 00:59:15 -0700, "Rupert Candy"
wrote:

James Farrar wrote:

It's a shame, because I think the Southern green/white is the best
mainline signage in my lifetime.

That's true - though presumably the station names and 'general' signage
are still in the green and white (if they've been changed over yet)?

Yes, indeed. The grey just intrudes, IMO.