Old July 8th 05, 02:04 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Where are the jokes about the tube bombs?

"Jack Jack" wrote in message
Hi guys, I too live in London and when the bombs went off I said "bad
**** happens" like so many others must have said.

This is definitely a grim situation. Of course we are all shocked.
But at the same time maybe we should take a little break and be less
dour.

In the Blitz, Londoners had countless jokes about their situation.
It's not inappropriate but it's a way of coping with the situation.

So where are the jokes about these London terrorist bombings? I
can't find a single thing on the Net.

This one was in my inbox this morning:

Whats the difference betweens cockneys and smarties?

Smarties don't blow up in the tube

Old July 8th 05, 02:40 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Sideshow" wrote in message

"Jack Jack" wrote in message
Hi guys, I too live in London and when the bombs went off I said "bad
**** happens" like so many others must have said.

This is definitely a grim situation. Of course we are all shocked.
But at the same time maybe we should take a little break and be less
dour.

In the Blitz, Londoners had countless jokes about their situation.
It's not inappropriate but it's a way of coping with the situation.

So where are the jokes about these London terrorist bombings? I
can't find a single thing on the Net.

This one was in my inbox this morning:

Whats the difference betweens cockneys and smarties?

Smarties don't blow up in the tube

maybe it's just a bit too early for this.

Old July 8th 05, 02:47 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Smarties don't blow up in the tube

maybe it's just a bit too early for this.

I think you may be right.

--
Peter

Old July 8th 05, 03:08 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Sideshow wrote:
"Jack Jack" wrote in message

Hi guys, I too live in London and when the bombs went off I said "bad
**** happens" like so many others must have said.

This is definitely a grim situation. Of course we are all shocked.
But at the same time maybe we should take a little break and be less
dour.

In the Blitz, Londoners had countless jokes about their situation.
It's not inappropriate but it's a way of coping with the situation.

So where are the jokes about these London terrorist bombings? I
can't find a single thing on the Net.

This one was in my inbox this morning:

Whats the difference betweens cockneys and smarties?

MOst of those in the tube were middle class commuters, not cockneys,
but the desire of the middle class to cheer themselves up at the expense
of cockneys, is noted.

Old July 8th 05, 03:18 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Peter Goodland" wrote in
message ...
Smarties don't blow up in the tube

maybe it's just a bit too early for this.

I think you may be right.

ISTR seeing Tsunami, Columbo, Challenger etc jokes within hours of the
respective events - humour is how humans deal with tragedy.

Old July 8th 05, 03:35 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Richard Collier" wrote in message
"Peter Goodland" wrote in
message ...
Smarties don't blow up in the tube

maybe it's just a bit too early for this.

I think you may be right.

ISTR seeing Tsunami, Columbo, Challenger etc jokes within hours of the
respective events - humour is how humans deal with tragedy.

I see -- and that humour was from the people directly involved was it?
Funny that - I never saw the families of the challenger victims cracking
jokes..... nor any Tsunami victims. I live in the East End - I married an
East Ender.

My wife, my stepdaughter and I all work near major targets in Central
London.

Haven't seen anyone round here cracking jokes about it. I have seen people
scared and apprehensive about using public transport - even know one person
that got a cab to work today.

The streets are empty enyhow - compared to what they usually are.

FFS give us a chance to get over the shock and anger before you start
cracking jokes about it.

Old July 8th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

No you ****! that's just cruelty

Old July 8th 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"J Barry Galbraith" wrote in message

"Sideshow" wrote in message

"Jack Jack" wrote in message
Hi guys, I too live in London and when the bombs went off I said "bad
**** happens" like so many others must have said.

This is definitely a grim situation. Of course we are all shocked.
But at the same time maybe we should take a little break and be less
dour.

In the Blitz, Londoners had countless jokes about their situation.
It's not inappropriate but it's a way of coping with the situation.

So where are the jokes about these London terrorist bombings? I
can't find a single thing on the Net.

This one was in my inbox this morning:

Whats the difference betweens cockneys and smarties?

Smarties don't blow up in the tube

maybe it's just a bit too early for this.

I agree. It is far too early.

Andrew

Old July 9th 05, 03:39 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
JB JB is offline

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
.li...

Shock and anger? What shock and anger? Yes, we were shocked on thursday,
but we'd been expecting this for months, years even. Yes, we'd rather the
terrorists hadn't done this, and we hope they're brought to justice, but
that's not anger. You make out like the people of London are on the brink
of collapse, but they're not - anything but. Life goes on as normal.

I agree. Even on Breakfast TV yesterday they were going on about the
"chaos" in London this morning and when they showed shots of people they
were acting normally. I blame the 24 hour TV news culture - all trying to
out dramatise each other.

Oh, and i think that joke is bloody funny.

It's not that funny, but at least people are trying to get a grip on it with
humour.

Old July 10th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Oh, and i think that joke is bloody funny.

It's not that funny, but at least people are trying to get a grip on it

with
humour.

Fair enough,humour to ease the tension is one thing,but not 36hrs after
multiple bombings in a city of approx.8-million.Nerves are still pretty raw
at that time....Agreed on the point that it's a relief valve for many,and
when there's not lives and missing people,most anything is fair
game....IMHO,it's pretty sick under the circumstances as they stand,even
today almost 5 days later....I LOVE a good joke as much,if not more than the
next guy,but try cracking one off to somebody whose loved one is still in
the tunnel.

All I'm pointing out is tact,and decorum....Jokes at this point until
everyone's found and/or identified and families notified is if nothing
else,in bad taste.
Glen