Old July 15th 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Why can't the Picc terminate southbound at Wood Green?

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:09:03 GMT, Stuart
wrote:

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

Nothing has run through since Thursday. Hence we have 73 stock parked
up all over the place, South Harrow & Ealing Common for two and I
suspect Uxbridge, although I've not been there since I left my train
there on the day.

Oops, pressed send too early

So there's too many trains in the wrong places. Are there any other
routes to transfer them from the Arnos Grove end to the section west of
Hyde Park corner?

No - regrettably the Picc Line is a "trunk route" between key depot
locations like Ruislip, Acton and Lillie Bridge and other tube lines
like the Northern and Victoria. The key crossovers and junctions are at
Kings Cross and Finsbury Park.

I can't see how you get the trains rebalanced until the Picc Line is
available again to move stock through the tunnels.

What's to stop some of those at the east end being moved wrong road from
Arnos Grove to HPC?

Old July 15th 05, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
No - regrettably the Picc Line is a "trunk route" between key depot
locations like Ruislip, Acton and Lillie Bridge and other tube lines
like the Northern and Victoria. The key crossovers and junctions are at
Kings Cross and Finsbury Park.
I can't see how you get the trains rebalanced until the Picc Line is
available again to move stock through the tunnels.

And presumably no engineers' trains can be transferred to the north end of
the Picc or indeed the entire Northern Line while this situation continues.

Old July 15th 05, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

[...]

But if stock is "parked up all over the place" in West London, the
problem would seem to be where the drivers are based, not where the
trains are.
--
Richard J.

Old July 15th 05, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

If you say so. I thought it was also said that reversing at Uxbridge was
simpler than doing it at Rayner's Lane but there you go. I appreciate the
trip length is greater which may upset other calculations though.

As restoration of the full Piccadilly service is likely to be some months
away, presumably someone is working on the rostering as we write?

I believe so.
Old July 15th 05, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Stuart
writes

So there's too many trains in the wrong places. Are there any other
routes to transfer them from the Arnos Grove end to the section west of
Hyde Park corner?

Unfortunately no.

As there are enough trains in the right places to run the services that
are being run, I doubt that's in anyone's mind at the moment.
Old July 15th 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:03:48 GMT, Stuart
wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

Are the platforms at Ally Pally long enough for more than 2 x 313 units
anyway?

No idea what a 313 unit is,

The 3-car trains used on the WAGN inner suburban service.

but I was talking about more trains stopping
rather than longer ones.

Ah, but the extra trains you were talking about stopping are sometimes
8 cars in length (and maybe 12?), so they might not fit in a platform
if it's only designed for 6-car trains (like the surburban platforms
at Kings Cross).

The platforms are quite long though, the 6 carriage trains fit in thre
with plenty of room to spare

In which case it wouldn't be a problem.
Old July 15th 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , David Splett
writes
And presumably no engineers' trains can be transferred to the north end of
the Picc or indeed the entire Northern Line while this situation continues.

Or the Victoria Line.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old July 15th 05, 10:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , asdf
writes
Ah, but the extra trains you were talking about stopping are sometimes
8 cars in length (and maybe 12?), so they might not fit in a platform
if it's only designed for 6-car trains (like the surburban platforms
at Kings Cross).

The Ally Pally platforms are between 167m and 170m (the same length as
Biggleswade) and so can hold 2x365 (i.e. 8 cars).

The suburban platforms at KX are between 163m and 166m and hold 2x365
quite happily.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: