Old July 15th 05, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Why can't the Picc terminate southbound at Wood Green?

In message . com,
Boltar writes

Does sound a bit of a mare. Though I'm surprised the siding isn't set
up to
allow this as this isn't the first time the line has been closed from
Hyde park
to arnos grove and I'm sure it won't be the last so it would certainly
add a bit
of extra flexibility to the service not to mention making commuters
lives a bit
easier.

More useful might be reinstating the crossovers at York Road (disused)
and Covent Garden.

Old July 15th 05, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

More useful might be reinstating the crossovers at York Road (disused)
and Covent Garden.

Is there much chance of that ever happening? (I won't hold my breath)

B2003

Old July 15th 05, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , ] (Steve
Fitzgerald) wrote:

In message , David Splett
writes
you lose the ability to transfer trains from Northfields to
Cockfosters via the northbound line (has this been happening, or vice
versa?) or to run (engineers?) trains out of the bomb site.

Nothing has run through since Thursday. Hence we have 73 stock parked
up all over the place, South Harrow & Ealing Common for two and I
suspect Uxbridge, although I've not been there since I left my train
there on the day.

If that is the case, why no Rayner's Lane to Uxbridge service then?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 15th 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

Nothing has run through since Thursday. Hence we have 73 stock parked
up all over the place, South Harrow & Ealing Common for two and I
suspect Uxbridge, although I've not been there since I left my train
there on the day.

If that is the case, why no Rayner's Lane to Uxbridge service then?

This has been rehearsed here before...

Because it's being provided by the Met., and we don't have the capacity
to turn that many trains at Acton so it's a basic 10 min ACT - RLN
service in the KISS fashion. If they start adding additional clever
bits it will, as sure as eggs is eggs, fall apart in short order due to
lack of trains/drivers/paths. At the moment, the staffing of these
trains is still being done on the hoof and doesn't have the benefit of
utilising staff right to their booking off time that you get from
pre-planning the service as is normal.

We might have loads of trains sat about but all the drivers are in the
wrong places too - Arnos being the bigger depot have more drivers than
Acton, we're having to be taken to the other end of the line to provide
cover. We're also double ending the HPC reversers to get them tipped
out and reversed in 5 minutes and providing the AGR - CFS shuttles. So
there isn't a huge surplus of staff there either...
Old July 15th 05, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , ] (Steve

*From:* Steve Fitzgerald ]
*Date:* Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:48:49 +0100

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

[...]

If you say so. I thought it was also said that reversing at Uxbridge was
simpler than doing it at Rayner's Lane but there you go. I appreciate the
trip length is greater which may upset other calculations though.

As restoration of the full Piccadilly service is likely to be some months
away, presumably someone is working on the rostering as we write?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old July 15th 05, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

Are the platforms at Ally Pally long enough for more than 2 x 313 units
anyway?

No idea what a 313 unit is, but I was talking about more trains stopping
rather than longer ones.

The platforms are quite long though, the 6 carriage trains fit in thre
with plenty of room to spare

Old July 15th 05, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

Nothing has run through since Thursday. Hence we have 73 stock parked
up all over the place, South Harrow & Ealing Common for two and I
suspect Uxbridge, although I've not been there since I left my train
there on the day.

So there's too many trains

Old July 15th 05, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

Nothing has run through since Thursday. Hence we have 73 stock parked
up all over the place, South Harrow & Ealing Common for two and I
suspect Uxbridge, although I've not been there since I left my train
there on the day.

Oops, pressed send too early

So there's too many trains in the wrong places. Are there any other
routes to transfer them from the Arnos Grove end to the section west of
Hyde Park corner?

Old July 15th 05, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:09:03 GMT, Stuart
wrote:

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

Nothing has run through since Thursday. Hence we have 73 stock parked
up all over the place, South Harrow & Ealing Common for two and I
suspect Uxbridge, although I've not been there since I left my train
there on the day.

Oops, pressed send too early

So there's too many trains in the wrong places. Are there any other
routes to transfer them from the Arnos Grove end to the section west of
Hyde Park corner?

No - regrettably the Picc Line is a "trunk route" between key depot
locations like Ruislip, Acton and Lillie Bridge and other tube lines
like the Northern and Victoria. The key crossovers and junctions are at
Kings Cross and Finsbury Park.

I can't see how you get the trains rebalanced until the Picc Line is
available again to move stock through the tunnels.
--
Paul C