Old July 21st 05, 09:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Drivers refusing to work

Joe wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
BBC reports that the Bakerloo and Piccadilly lines are shut
because drivers are refusing to work:

Obviously RMT members.

Apparently so.

"The Rail Maritime and Transport (RMT) union has pledged to back any
employee who refused to work normally on grounds of safety following the
latest explosions. Bob Crow, of the RMT, said "enormous pressure" was
put on Tube workers to continue working as normal following the blasts
and that staff had expected the entire network to be shut down. He
added: "At the emergency meeting today we were told that lines
apparently unaffected by the attacks should continue running." He said
they would be discussing these issues in a meeting with the mayor on
Friday."

LU say that the Bakerloo is running normally, but that the Piccadilly is
running only from Arnos Grove to Cockfosters.

Any comment from Arnos Grove staff on why the Piccadilly drivers are
taking a different line from their colleagues?

Crossposted to u.t.l
FU set to u.t.l
--
Richard J.

Old July 21st 05, 11:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...
Joe wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

All staff are trained what to look out for, how to determine if a package is
suspect (or at least what is not normal for the area). A driver has to check
their train each time they change ends usually for mundane stuff like lost
property but also train defects and anything out of the ordinary. If they
suspect that the item is not all it seems to be then there is a process to
deal with it. I.e., get it check by station staff. If they are not happy
then a call to the BTP will usually sort it out. Station are trained in
where to look, what to look for and what to do if they suspect something,
well suspect. I hear that after the last bombings, drivers refused to drive
trains until their trains were inspected by a professional. What the hell
are drivers if not professionals. Would LUL staff like all buildings and
infrastructure checked before the start of the day by the bomb squad? What
do they want? And, if is suspected, the original bombers were suicide
bombers, then what. An armed guard at each location and on each train? What
about the other staff. I didn't hear any signalling staff not working. I
didn't hear any train technicians refusing to work. What about nurses? No.
What about the police? No. Yes most of us in London were affected in one way
shape or form (and I thank my lucky stars neither my friends, family or I
were hurt) but to then go on and make a mockery out of the LUL workers who
worked so well of July 7th and returned to work and today, just makes me
sick. Will LUL discipline these militant staff? I think not

Rant over, beer being taken to calm nerves. Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Loony T

Old July 22nd 05, 05:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:52:55 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Joe wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
BBC reports that the Bakerloo and Piccadilly lines are shut
because drivers are refusing to work:

Obviously RMT members.

Apparently so.

"The Rail Maritime and Transport (RMT) union has pledged to back any
employee who refused to work normally on grounds of safety following the
latest explosions. Bob Crow, of the RMT, said "enormous pressure" was
put on Tube workers to continue working as normal following the blasts
and that staff had expected the entire network to be shut down. He
added: "At the emergency meeting today we were told that lines
apparently unaffected by the attacks should continue running." He said
they would be discussing these issues in a meeting with the mayor on
Friday."

This "enormous pressure" would therefore not resemble the "enormous
pressure" that the TU head offices are placing on their LU officials to
get staff to not drive trains due to "security concerns".

The TU leaders need to seriously rethink their approach before this
backfires on them.
--
Paul C

Old July 22nd 05, 06:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Joe wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

I thought the Piccadilly line was still closed south of Arnos Grove
due to the bombed train still being in the tunnel at Russell Square
from 7/7.

Crossposted to u.t.l
FU set to u.t.l
--
Richard J.

Old July 22nd 05, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Joe wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

It's closed from Arnos Grove to Hyde Park Corner, but there should be a
service from Hyde Park Corner to Heathrow and a shuttle from Acton Town
to Rayners Lane. It appears from the LU website that these services are
now working again. Victoria & Northern Lines back in business too
after yesterday's incidents.
--
Richard J.

Old July 22nd 05, 08:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ken Ken is offline

wrote:

LU say that the Bakerloo is running normally, but that the Piccadilly is
running only from Arnos Grove to Cockfosters.

Any comment from Arnos Grove staff on why the Piccadilly drivers are
taking a different line from their colleagues?

Because the Piccadilly is still shut, following the Russell Square
bomb?
Old July 22nd 05, 08:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Joe wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

Only from Arnos Grove to Hyde Park Corner.

The rest of the closure is down to Crow and his agitators. Surprise.

--
James Farrar

September's coming soon
Old July 22nd 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

This "enormous pressure" would therefore not resemble the "enormous
pressure" that the TU head offices are placing on their LU officials to
get staff to not drive trains due to "security concerns".

They seem to forget about the pressure normal commuters are under. The
bombs are in the passenger section of the trains , not in the drivers
cab. They're probably in the safest part of the train.

The TU leaders need to seriously rethink their approach before this
backfires on them.

Its the RMT. Who expected anything different?

B2003

Old July 22nd 05, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:

This "enormous pressure" would therefore not resemble the "enormous
pressure" that the TU head offices are placing on their LU officials
to get staff to not drive trains due to "security concerns".

They seem to forget about the pressure normal commuters are under. The
bombs are in the passenger section of the trains , not in the drivers
cab. They're probably in the safest part of the train.

The TU leaders need to seriously rethink their approach before this
backfires on them.

Its the RMT. Who expected anything different?

Apparently the unrest isn't about their own safety, but because of the lack
of communication from those on high during recent incidents.

Old July 22nd 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:02:45 +0000, Brimstone wrote:

Boltar wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:

This "enormous pressure" would therefore not resemble the "enormous
pressure" that the TU head offices are placing on their LU officials to
get staff to not drive trains due to "security concerns".

They seem to forget about the pressure normal commuters are under. The
bombs are in the passenger section of the trains , not in the drivers
cab. They're probably in the safest part of the train.

The TU leaders need to seriously rethink their approach before this
backfires on them.

Its the RMT. Who expected anything different?

Apparently the unrest isn't about their own safety, but because of the
lack of communication from those on high during recent incidents.

Which means they can't drive trains?