Old July 31st 05, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Automatic tubes?

Certainly if (as is likely outside the UK) people are disciplined and
refrain from blocking sensors to hold doors open.

Easily solved - make the doors close harder as they do in some other
countries so if you block them it actually hurts. People would soon
refrain from doing it.

B2003

Old July 31st 05, 10:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
could see, on platforms. Even at the terminus, if you fail to
alight, they take you into the reversing siding for a few minutes
before starting the return journey.

The HSE would be wetting their nappies over that if it happened
here. Don't forget on the tube we have to have the farce of a
driver walking down the train checking its empty and closing each
carriage one by one before he takes it out of service.

That's because the car-end doors can be opened by passengers. On Line
14 in Paris, there are full-width gangways between cars, so there's no
risk of a passenger getting on to the track. (And on other lines with
older stock, it needs the Métro equivalent of a J-door key to open the
car-end doors.)
--
Richard J.

Old July 31st 05, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
news
Boltar wrote:
could see, on platforms. Even at the terminus, if you fail to
alight, they take you into the reversing siding for a few minutes
before starting the return journey.

The HSE would be wetting their nappies over that if it happened
here. Don't forget on the tube we have to have the farce of a
driver walking down the train checking its empty and closing each
carriage one by one before he takes it out of service.

That's because the car-end doors can be opened by passengers. On Line
14 in Paris, there are full-width gangways between cars, so there's no
risk of a passenger getting on to the track. (And on other lines with
older stock, it needs the Métro equivalent of a J-door key to open the
car-end doors.)
--
Richard J.

Richard

LUL did have a FACT (Fully Automatically Controlled Train) as part of the
design development - it was one of the sets used on the Woodford to Hainault
section, but never went into passenger service (I don't think it was ever
intended to do so). The train did run during the day with the doors opening
and closing automatically with staff ensuring that no passengers actually
got on. The only basic addition to the basic Vic Line system was auto
opening and closing of doors, plus auto start.

OTOH, it was one of the 1960 stock sets.

Peter
--
Peter Corser
Linslade, Beds, UK

Old July 31st 05, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:35:00 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

That's because the car-end doors can be opened by passengers. On Line
14 in Paris, there are full-width gangways between cars, so there's no
risk of a passenger getting on to the track. (And on other lines with
older stock, it needs the Métro equivalent of a J-door key to open the
car-end doors.)

So how do the passengers get out in an emergency?
Old July 31st 05, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" typed

Certainly if (as is likely outside the UK) people are disciplined and
refrain from blocking sensors to hold doors open.

Easily solved - make the doors close harder as they do in some other
countries so if you block them it actually hurts. People would soon
refrain from doing it.

B2003

Until it breaks a kid's neck...

They already close quite hard enough IMO.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old July 31st 05, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31 Jul 2005 02:29:21 -0700, "Boltar"
wrote:

Certainly if (as is likely outside the UK) people are disciplined and
refrain from blocking sensors to hold doors open.

Easily solved - make the doors close harder as they do in some other
countries so if you block them it actually hurts. People would soon
refrain from doing it.

In an unsupervised, computer-controlled situation this would be
downright dangerous.

On the main line, where there is someone supervising door closure, the
doors do usually close quite harshly. Anyone who's tried to hold back
the doors of a Class 153 DMU[1], for example, will know this.

[1] I did this once to assist a guard in boarding, as the external
staff controls had for whatever reason failed. The sensible thing
might have been for me to hold the emergency release instead, but she
operated that and I held the door back once open. The force with
which it then attempted to close was rather surprising.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old July 31st 05, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:50:47 +0100, asdf
wrote:

So how do the passengers get out in an emergency?

I think it would be necessary to have side platforms and emergency
release on the side doors like the DLR underground sections do, as
passengers may well try to leave the train while others are still
moving in an emergency, in the absence of any supervision.

OOI, does it have this?

Neil

Old July 31st 05, 02:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Boltar wrote:
could see, on platforms. Even at the terminus, if you fail to
alight, they take you into the reversing siding for a few minutes
before starting the return journey.

The HSE would be wetting their nappies over that if it happened
here. Don't forget on the tube we have to have the farce of a
driver walking down the train checking its empty and closing each
carriage one by one before he takes it out of service.

That's because the car-end doors can be opened by passengers. On Line
14 in Paris, there are full-width gangways between cars, so there's no
risk of a passenger getting on to the track. (And on other lines with
older stock, it needs the Métro equivalent of a J-door key to open the
car-end doors.)

Are the new trains for LUL going to have corridor connections and if
not, why not?
Old July 31st 05, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The Picc's 1973 Stock were originally hard & fast in closing and
certainly deterred obstruction. Alas LT (as as) gave in to complains
and reduced the air pressure.

Old July 31st 05, 03:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

That is a proposal for the Victoria Line I believe but I think you will
need articulation on all cars to achieve this. This removes the
opportunity to swop defective units easily, and operating block trains
increases the number of spares needed. Whether the infracos are
prepared to pay for that we'll see.