Old August 1st 05, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Automatic tubes?

wrote:
I thought non-emergency inter-car connection wouldn't work on
sub-surface without articulation because of some of the tight curves
and consequential outswing at car ends.

It works in Paris on the very sharp curves at Bastille on Line 1 without
articulation.
e.g.
http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?15538

This is very pronounced on the D Stock but obviously would be
less so on the new SSL 'S Stock' cars which will be shorter.
Not so much a problem on the Victoria Line which was built to
more modern standards I would have thought.

True, but I guess they'll want to use the same design for the Bakerloo.

If pasengers can walk through an entire train as Metronet suggest,
and not just within a unit, this implies block-formed trains, or at
least no double-ended units (i.e. occasional middle cabs). As soon
as you lose the flexibility to swop units and split trains easily,
you will need more trains overall to ensure that one defective car
doesn't 'stop' an entire 6, 7 or 8-car train.

Perhaps, but there are many other factors affecting availability and
cost. Not splitting trains would probably give a small reliability
bonus, for example.

--
Richard J.

Old August 1st 05, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Joe" wrote in message .

That sounds to me very unsafe, in the event of an emergency like what
we had here recently, evecuation would have been much slower, plus some
stations need to have different 'dwell times.'

I looked at this point on the Copenhagen system which is
completely unmanned and has platform doors for safety
reasons.

The dwell times all appeared to be much longer than necessary
even at the busy stations, and it seemed to wait for the same time
at the less busy ones.

tim

Old August 1st 05, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:53:48 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Cheeky asked about corridor connections, by which I assume he meant
passenger-accessible corridors between cars. The answer is that that
the new sub-surface trains will have, in Metronet's words
"interconnecting gangways, allowing passengers to walk through the
entire train". But the mock-ups of the new Victoria Line trains show
conventional inter-car doors as at present.

That's exactly what I was getting at

presumably the different geometry of the deep-tube units makes this
more difficult to achieve...