Old September 9th 05, 01:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Google crap

Richard J. wrote:
You're not using a toy browser like Firefox, are you?

!

As opposed to Internet Explorer, the browser choice of real men with
hairy cheasts?

Old September 9th 05, 02:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
snip
Logging on first has advantages, as Groups will remember what messages
you've read and highlight new ones.

Perhaps the OP should try putting a tick in the 'Remember me on this
computer' tickbox on the login screen if he hasn't already tried doing
so. That is if his cookies are stored from one session to the next on
his locked down computer.

Old September 9th 05, 07:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

As opposed to Internet Explorer, the browser choice of real men with
hairy cheasts?

Yeh, got to watch for those hairy cheats.
Old September 9th 05, 08:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Sep 2005 19:07:27 -0700, "Mizter T" wrote:

As when writing anything lenghthly in what is essentially a web-based
form, it's wise to get into the habit of hitting CTRL + C just in case.

In a decent browser you should be able to hit "back" and go back to
the previous page where your form will still be filled in...

Old September 9th 05, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In a decent browser you should be able to hit "back" and go back to
the previous page where your form will still be filled in...

Certainly can with Firefox, however with google the form will be hidden
- you'll have to click the "reply" button on the post you replied to.

Last time I used internet explorer click "back" lost everything you
typed, but as IE is so far behind on useful and essential features,
doesn't run on my personal computers, and is a security hole, I can't
be bothered checking.

Old September 9th 05, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:
In a decent browser you should be able to hit "back" and go back to
the previous page where your form will still be filled in...

Certainly can with Firefox, however with google the form will be hidden
- you'll have to click the "reply" button on the post you replied to.

Last time I used internet explorer click "back" lost everything you
typed, but as IE is so far behind on useful and essential features,
doesn't run on my personal computers, and is a security hole, I can't
be bothered checking.

When using Google Groups I always use the reply option that only
appears when you click on the 'show options' link. This brings up a new
composition screen that crucially includes quoted text from the post
you are replying to. Plus (when using Firefox at least) if you do
something stupid you can click the back button and what you've written
will still be there.

Old September 10th 05, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
Mizter T writes
real men with hairy cheasts?

I'm not one of those, whatever they are, and I would like to know the
difference between browsers. I use Turnpike 6.02 for mail and
newsgroups and have tried to get newsgroups through Hotmail without
success. What are the merits and demerits of each browser? Is there
a comparison I can go to on the web? Thanks.
--
Clive
Old September 12th 05, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Sep 2005 08:53:22 -0700, "peter" wrote:

You could try a proper newsreader, instead of using Google?

Not if your employer blocks port 119 at the firewall

Or if you're on AOL, which has decided no-one uses news so they're
doing everyone a favour by turning off the news server.
Old September 12th 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Laurence Payne" wrote in message
On 8 Sep 2005 08:53:22 -0700, "peter" wrote:

You could try a proper newsreader, instead of using Google?

Not if your employer blocks port 119 at the firewall

Or if you're on AOL, which has decided no-one uses news so they're
doing everyone a favour by turning off the news server.

You're right, AOL are doing everyone a favour. They are persuading their
customers to sign up with a proper ISP that offers a comprehensive service.

For no reason that I can discern, they block all my emails. No other ISP
does. Funny that.

--
Brian
"Anyway, if you have been, thanks for listening."