Old September 17th 05, 03:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Help Req: NW3 to LGW

Hello Everyone.

I've searched on google, and uk.t.lon, but to no avail.

I currently live in Camden, and am just completing my training to be a
pilot. There's a good chance that, upon completion, I'll be based at
Gatwick. What I'm trying to work out is whether it's going to be
feasible to travel to work across London, or whether I'm going to have
to move to somewhere a little nearer.

Options, as I see them:
1) Drive something like Hammersmith, M4, M25, M23, LGW
2) Drive something like Waterloo Bridge, Mitcham, A23, M23 (across
London)
3) Thameslink West Hampstead to LGW.

As I'll be going to work at all sorts of times day and night, I suppose
if I'm going in at 0400 then driving is probably fastest (around the
motorway), but if I'm going in the rush hour, the train would be the
option.

Any advice or ideas more than welcome.

Many thanks in advance

Henry

Old September 17th 05, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Henry Bevan:
I currently live in Camden, and am just completing my training to be a
pilot. There's a good chance that, upon completion, I'll be based at
Gatwick. ...

Paul Terry:
The train is going to be quicker at almost any time of the day or night
- West Hampstead to Gatwick takes an hour (or slightly more at times of
day when a change is required). I doubt if you could drive it in that
time, even at 4 in the morning ...

Yeah, but that's after you get to the station and wait up to an hour
(overnight) for the next train. And if the query I just did on the
German timetable server is representative, the service doesn't even
run overnight every day of the week.

The problem is that for any particular journey away from home, Henry
has to pick one mode (car or train) for the northbound and southbound
trips, or else he's stuck with his car in the wrong place (and I assume
a taxi is Right Out). I have to think that living nearer the airport
would be a win.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "In cyberspace, the lunatics not only run the asylum,

Old September 17th 05, 10:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mark Brader" wrote in message

The problem is that for any particular journey away from home, Henry
has to pick one mode (car or train) for the northbound and southbound
trips, or else he's stuck with his car in the wrong place (and I assume
a taxi is Right Out). I have to think that living nearer the airport
would be a win.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "In cyberspace, the lunatics not only run the
asylum,
| but they helped build it..." --Richard
Kadrey

Don't the airlines have overnight accomodation available for staff who are
flying early in the morning?

Paul

Old September 17th 05, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:33:50 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Don't the airlines have overnight accomodation available for staff who are
flying early in the morning?

Possibly. But he wants a life as well as a job. Move.

Old September 19th 05, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

1) Drive something like Hammersmith, M4, M25, M23, LGW

Additional 20 miles over the direct route. Besides Hammersmith, A4,
A316, M3, M25 would be faster I'd imagine, or the A3 (which is the
route viamichlin says for quickest trip)

However if you type your query into google maps:
http://google.co.uk/maps?q=nw3+to+LG...1.915192&hl=en

Via Park Lane, Balham and the A23 - no congestion charge

Old September 19th 05, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com, Paul
Weaver writes
1) Drive something like Hammersmith, M4, M25, M23, LGW

Additional 20 miles over the direct route. Besides Hammersmith, A4,
A316, M3, M25 would be faster I'd imagine, or the A3 (which is the
route viamichlin says for quickest trip)

I'm a London (black cab) driver, living in Worthing and often travel
home via Gatwick

Try the following (fill in the gaps)
NW3
Baker St (top end)
Westway
Shepherds Bush
Hammersmith Bridge
Roehampton
A3
Chessington (avoids a long detour via A3)
M25
M23
Gatwick

However if you type your query into google maps:
http://google.co.uk/maps?q=nw3+to+LG...1.915192&hl=en

Via Park Lane, Balham and the A23 - no congestion charge

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England