Old October 10th 05, 01:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Fares

Clive typed

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
From Jan 2006 they would both be £3 each, total £6, or £1.50 and £2
plus £3 for the Oyster, total £6.50, plus "cost" for an Oyster reader
to know if I've got enough credit on it the next time I use it months
later. Terrific!

What a prat. I'm a pensioner who lives in the Lake district and travel
to London to see family and friends, I don't know from one week to the
next when I'll be invited down again, but I realise the convenience
Oyster gives me and have had one for some time now. I don't queue for
tickets at bus stops or tube stations and the capping means I always get
the best value even if I get on the wrong bus, have to get off and
retrace my steps, it doesn't cost me a penny extra. Further each time
I enter a tube station if the machine is clear for topping up, I just go
to it. Put my card to the reader and it gives me my balance. If
you're graduate material then the standards in this country have
certainly gone down the drain.

Oyster is right for you, without a doubt. The problems arise if your
journeys involve National Rail. If this is the case, buying a One Day
Travelcard would make economic sense.

Colin takes a bike or has a Travelcard on his rail ticket, when he
visits London, so Oyster is not his best option.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old October 10th 05, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 16:47:30 +0100, "TKD" wrote:

"Totally"? "Everyone"?

Not even TfL or NR seem to know how the validators on the Thameslink
platforms at London Bridge, Kings Cross TL etc. are supposed to be used
without getting an unresolved journey so "totally" and "everyone" is pretty fair.

Also when changing from DLR to Tube or National Rail, it is not clear to many
people that you have to touch the DLR validator and then touch in to the
tube/NR even though its not the end/start of your journey. Getting it wrong
will mean getting charged twice or possibly £5 if you were unlucky enough to
start or end at a terminus.

This could all be cured by more detailed instructions above the validators. The
current "Prepay users must touch here" is not good enough - and doesn't take
in to account prepay extensions. Season ticket holders who have only ever used
seasons are unlikely to see themselves as "prepay users".

You understand it. And so, now, do I. So that knocks out "Totally"
:-)
Old October 10th 05, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Clive
writes

In message , Paul Terry
writes

Still cheaper than using an Oyster.

Is your personal Oyster not capped?

You cannot use pre-pay Oyster on South-West Trains (or on most other
National Rail services in London), so the only part of the journey
covered by Oyster is the bus and tube journeys. That comes to £5.90,
which is well below the £8 cap for peak-time travel in both Zones 1-4.

--
Paul Terry
Old October 10th 05, 01:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:52:58 +0100, Marc Brett
wrote:

And, realistically, unless you live near a shop selling ODTs, you'll be paying
for the first bus journey so you can buy the ODT at Richmond. Total cost £9 or
£9.50.

A bit weak. Your local newsagent sells them. In advance, if required.

Old October 10th 05, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

"Laurence Payne" wrote in message
[...]

Yes we both now have the DLR interchange all figured out. But using Thameslink
with prepay and being charged correctly (and let out of the barriers of London
Bridge!) is still beyond me.

Old October 10th 05, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

"Paul Terry" wrote in message ...
In message , Clive writes

In message , Paul Terry writes

Still cheaper than using an Oyster.

Is your personal Oyster not capped?

You cannot use pre-pay Oyster on South-West Trains (or on most other National Rail services in
London), so the only part of the journey covered by Oyster is the bus and tube journeys. That
comes to £5.90, which is well below the £8 cap for peak-time travel in both Zones 1-4.

You would come under the Zone 1 cap as all your tube use is in Zone 1.
Bus journeys ignore zones and are included in any capped tube price even
if the bus journey was in a totally different zone to the tube cap.

Not sure what that makes your cap without looking it up.

Old October 10th 05, 02:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
TKD typed:

But using
Thameslink with prepay and being charged correctly (and let out of
the barriers of London Bridge!) is still beyond me.

Presuming that you have 'touched in' at an appropraite Thameslink
station, when you arrive at London Bridge 'touch out' on the platform.
'Touching out' again on the pad on the exit gates will then allow you to
exit.

Works for me (nearly) every time.
;-)

--
Bob

Old October 10th 05, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

But using
Thameslink with prepay and being charged correctly (and let out of
the barriers of London Bridge!) is still beyond me.

Presuming that you have 'touched in' at an appropraite Thameslink station, when you arrive at
London Bridge 'touch out' on the platform. 'Touching out' again on the pad on the exit gates will
then allow you to exit.

Works for me (nearly) every time.

It hasn't worked for me once. The last piece of advice I got was to touch
in at the barriers at Kings Cross TL and touch the validator on the platform.
When arriving at London Bridge, touch the validator on the platform and
then touch out through the barriers (so touch-in/out twice at each end).

Last time I did this the validator at London Bridge came up with an error
and when I tried the barriers they would not open. The member of staff
just waved me through. This caused an unresolved journey and the capping
didn't work.

After an quick email to "ask oyster" the refund was automatically credited
to my card when I passed through my local station - which was mildly more
impressive than receiving a cheque for £1.70 which was usual practice before.

Old October 10th 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 17:57:58 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

So if you were to buy a ticket from Wimbledon on your Oyster card you would
receive a National Rail discount if due as well?

You would receive the same discount, if any, as holders of SWT paper
Travelcard seasons.

Small clarification. The discount is only when you *renew* a ticket.

--
Paul