Old July 17th 03, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Transport science

This isn't strictly a London matter, but it could be I suppose!
I'm looking for an online resource where I can learn the basics of transport
science. I've been Googling for a while with no success. There are some
excellent resources for other broader sciences but I've had no luck for
transport.
Failing anything online I'd appreciate any advice on books I could have a
look at that are available from a normal library (I'm sure there's something
in the ICL library but I'm not there right now!).

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old July 17th 03, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
This isn't strictly a London matter, but it could be I suppose!
I'm looking for an online resource where I can learn the basics of

transport
science. I've been Googling for a while with no success. There are some
excellent resources for other broader sciences but I've had no luck for
transport.
Failing anything online I'd appreciate any advice on books I could have a
look at that are available from a normal library (I'm sure there's

something
in the ICL library but I'm not there right now!).

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Start here http://www.trainweb.org/railwaytechnical/

Try also: Practical Railway Engineering, Bonnett, Clifford F., 1996,
Imperial College Press, London

Old July 18th 03, 09:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
This isn't strictly a London matter, but it could be I suppose!
I'm looking for an online resource where I can learn the basics of
transport science.

What exactly is "transport science"? I can think of all kinds of different
disciplines that are relevant to transport -- engineering, physics,
mathematics, economics, etc etc, but I am not aware of anything called
transport science. What is it?
--
Richard J.

Old July 18th 03, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
This isn't strictly a London matter, but it could be I
suppose!
I'm looking for an online resource where I can learn the
basics of transport science.

What exactly is "transport science"? I can think of all
kinds of different disciplines that are relevant to
transport -- engineering, physics, mathematics, economics,
etc etc, but I am not aware of anything called transport
science. What is it?

A catch all term for the subjects you've just mentioned.

Old July 18th 03, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
Richard J. wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
This isn't strictly a London matter, but it could be I
suppose!
I'm looking for an online resource where I can learn the
basics of transport science.

What exactly is "transport science"? I can think of all
kinds of different disciplines that are relevant to
transport -- engineering, physics, mathematics, economics,
etc etc, but I am not aware of anything called transport
science. What is it?

A catch all term for the subjects you've just mentioned.

Thanks for your earlier reply BTW - I took a look at the site you mentioned
but as a beginner it was a bit advanced for my purposes. I appreciate the
information though. I was thinking mainly of the ways that transport flows
are studied and controlled, how they work (e.g. how traffic flows around
cities or pedestrians around stations), an introduction to how they are
modelled, those sort of ideas if you can understand what I'm after (although
with very little knowledge of the area to begin with, it's difficult to
define).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old July 18th 03, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:

OK, try here, http://www.tps.org.uk/

Old July 18th 03, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
Dave Arquati wrote:
"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
Richard J. wrote:
[...]

That's excellent, thanks.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old July 19th 03, 12:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
Richard J. wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
This isn't strictly a London matter, but it could be I
suppose!
I'm looking for an online resource where I can learn the
basics of transport science.

What exactly is "transport science"? I can think of all
kinds of different disciplines that are relevant to
transport -- engineering, physics, mathematics, economics,
etc etc, but I am not aware of anything called transport
science. What is it?

A catch all term for the subjects you've just mentioned.

If so, it's not a science. Also, it seems very unlikely that there is one
resource where you can learn the basics of everything from moving-block
signalling to rural bus subsidies.
--
Richard J.

Old July 19th 03, 12:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:44:12 +0100, "Dave Arquati"
wrote:

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message

OK, try here, http://www.tps.org.uk/

That's excellent, thanks.

Dave, Imperial College runs an excellent MSc in Transport jointly with
UCL!

Rob.
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old July 19th 03, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
Richard J. wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
This isn't strictly a London matter, but it could be I
suppose!
I'm looking for an online resource where I can learn the
basics of transport science.

What exactly is "transport science"? I can think of all
kinds of different disciplines that are relevant to
transport -- engineering, physics, mathematics, economics,
etc etc, but I am not aware of anything called transport
science. What is it?

A catch all term for the subjects you've just mentioned.

If so, it's not a science.

Some people seem able to make anything into a "science", even common sense!

Also, it seems very unlikely
that there is one resource where you can learn the basics
of everything from moving-block signalling to rural bus
subsidies.

Very likely true. But I would have thought that the library at Imperial
College would be a good place to start. :-)