Old November 2nd 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New fares from 2 January 2006 - pdf

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
Adrian typed

Helen Deborah Vecht ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

I've no idea what a printout of Oyster journeys looks like,

I have no idea where to get one from.

Ask someone (nicely) at any open Tube Ticket Office.

What do you get?

A printout with just A-B for a specific journey, or a full time/station
listing for every journey?

The latter.

Self printed from the web site or by an employee at a station
(where-ever)?

I've been to the web site. Found "Ask Oyster" and downloaded
the pdf guide, but still can't see how one is supposed to get a
receipt for specific journeys for 'employer' refund.

I think I'm going to have to mail them a question, if no one
else knows

tim

Old November 2nd 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim (moved to sweden) wrote:
"James Farrar" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:18:36 +0000, U n d e r a c h i e v e r
wrote:

As has been pointed out here, some people, myself included, will
from time to time pay cash.

You will choose to pay more than you need to? Why?

Because it gives me a receipt that my employer will refund.

I don't understand this insistence on having a receipt for a tube
journey in order to claim expenses. What happened pre-Oyster? You got
a single ticket which was swallowed by the exit gate. So you claimed
without a receipt. That's the way it always used to happen for public
transport fares, or at any rate low-value ones. There's no VAT to
reclaim on fares, so it's just a question of satisfying your employer
that your claim is reasonable. Provided the rules are clear within the
company, Revenue & Customs should be happy. At least, that's the way it
used to work 5 years or so ago in the company I worked for. If managers
are spending time poring over claims for tube fares, they are probbaly
neglecting more important aspects of the job.
--
Richard J.

Old November 2nd 05, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I don't understand this insistence on having a receipt for a tube
journey in order to claim expenses. What happened pre-Oyster? You got
a single ticket which was swallowed by the exit gate.

You asked the blokey (or machine) for a receipt when you bought the
ticket... Or attached the ODTC.
Old November 2nd 05, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:

As has been pointed out here, some people, myself included, will
from time to time pay cash.

You will choose to pay more than you need to? Why?

Because it gives me a receipt that my employer will refund.

I don't understand this insistence on having a receipt for a tube
journey in order to claim expenses. What happened pre-Oyster? You got
a single ticket which was swallowed by the exit gate. So you claimed
without a receipt. That's the way it always used to happen for public
transport fares, or at any rate low-value ones. There's no VAT to
reclaim on fares, so it's just a question of satisfying your employer
that your claim is reasonable. Provided the rules are clear within the
company, Revenue & Customs should be happy.

Other country's tax collectors are not so forgiving.

You have to jump through hoops to get a piece of paper.
Often this means overpaying to get a one day pass....
....but if they move to oyster as well :-(

tim

Old November 2nd 05, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

In message , Graham J
writes

I'm not really clear where the increased expense comes in.

I didn't repeat the whole saga that I outlined here a few weeks ago,
but in brief ...

Bus to Richmond Station, SWT to Waterloo, tube to office (and return):

Using a One-day Peak Travel card: £8.
Using Oyster (+ the £5.90 SWT train fare): £11.30

In other words, yes I could use Oyster - but it will be more than 40%
more expensive, and it fails to give me the additional flexibility of
using most other NR services at no extra cost should I wish to.

I also think the discrimination argument is rather flimsy.

From the 2nd January, my ODTC will cost £8.40

But if I used Oyster, the TfL component of this journey would go down
from £5.40 to £4.80.

So, while ODTC is still the better option, I do not get the advantage
of cheaper Oyster fares that are being offered to many Londoners,
although I think I pay the same GLA precept as anyone else.

Most of my journeys have a National Rail component and I don't feel
at all discriminated against. I just take the convenience and cost
benefits of Oyster where I can.

I hardly ever have that luxury. Perhaps one of several nubs of the
problem is the fact that transport charging fails to take into
account the needs of many of us who now work largely from home - in
several of the companies I work for, staff now only go into the
central London office two or three times a week (and I only go in
once or twice a month). This is environmentally to the advantage of
all, and yet such occasional travellers actually pay more - not less
- than those who use up power resources every day in their travel.

Not much of an incentive to cut congestion in London, is it?

I agree with what you're saying as someone who also goes to the office
in London twice or three times a week, but if travel times are flexible
there are cheaper options for the likes of me. I use a Network Card and
travel after 10.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old November 3rd 05, 01:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

tim (moved to sweden) wrote
[...]
I've been to the web site. Found "Ask Oyster" and downloaded
the pdf guide, but still can't see how one is supposed to get a
receipt for specific journeys for 'employer' refund.

I think I'm going to have to mail them a question, if no one
else knows

But, given capping, the cost of a 'specific journey' might be 0p

--
Mike D
Old November 3rd 05, 01:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Adrian wrote
Michael R N Dolbear ) gurgled happily

For a single this is unlikely but since in your example even an
Z1-6 Travelcard is less than twice a £3.40 fare

Look past Zone 6.

For me, a pair of singles is over £3 cheaper than an ODTC - there
used to be an LT card in the middle, but that got pulled.

Not understood. I carried on with the OP's example. If you have a
further example let's see the details.

I'm in Zone B.

Single is £4.60
ODTC is £12.40
7DTC is £45.80

There used to be a thing called an "LT card" that was effectively an

ODTC [...]

The LT card and the ODTC and 7D prices you mention cover peak (before
09:30) travel.
The single fare is the same price 06:30-19:00 so you also need to look
at the "shoppers price" where an ODTC would be cheaper.

Down my way "past zone 6" means NR, so the single might be cheaper
after 09:30 and CDR and CDR+ODTC are also on offer after that time.

--
Mike D
Old November 3rd 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I'm not really clear where the increased expense comes in.

I didn't repeat the whole saga that I outlined here a few weeks ago, but
in brief ...

[...snip...]
In other words, yes I could use Oyster - but it will be more than 40%
more expensive, and it fails to give me the additional flexibility of
using most other NR services at no extra cost should I wish to.

I don't really see that as Oyster offering you increased expense given that
you don't use it, but I do see the point.

I also think the discrimination argument is rather flimsy.

From the 2nd January, my ODTC will cost £8.40

But if I used Oyster, the TfL component of this journey would go down
from £5.40 to £4.80.

So, while ODTC is still the better option, I do not get the advantage of
cheaper Oyster fares that are being offered to many Londoners, although
I think I pay the same GLA precept as anyone else.

Yes I understand that but it still seems rather strong to consider it
discrimination. It's like people who only use TfL feeling discriminated
against because they don't have some of the fares that are available from
National Rail stations.

Most of my journeys have a National Rail component and I don't feel at
all discriminated against. I just take the convenience and cost
benefits of Oyster where I can.

I hardly ever have that luxury. Perhaps one of several nubs of the
problem is the fact that transport charging fails to take into account
the needs of many of us who now work largely from home - in several of
the companies I work for, staff now only go into the central London
office two or three times a week (and I only go in once or twice a
month). This is environmentally to the advantage of all, and yet such
occasional travellers actually pay more - not less - than those who use
up power resources every day in their travel.

That is an interesting point and ties in with my thoughts that the whole
pricing model really should be up for grabs. Oyster Pre-Pay means that
avoiding the need to buy a ticket every day is no longer an argument in
favour of period tickets. Annual travelcard would seem to have their merits
but I am not convinced the case for monthly tickets is as strong as it once
was and seven day tickets must surely be living on borrowed time and
probably only being saved by the lack of Oyster roll out onto National Rail.

Old November 4th 05, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael R N Dolbear ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I'm in Zone B.

Single is £4.60
ODTC is £12.40
7DTC is £45.80

There used to be a thing called an "LT card" that was effectively an
ODTC [...]

The LT card and the ODTC and 7D prices you mention cover peak (before
09:30) travel.

Which is when I tend to go in.

An after-9.30 ODTC is £6.40

Down my way "past zone 6" means NR

Yes, but we were talking about tube ticket prices. There's four zones
outside Zone 6.