Old October 26th 05, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New fares from 2 January 2006 - pdf

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...06-leaflet.pdf

The Family Travelcard, Tube Carnet, Single zone Travelcard seasons and
some New Deal tickets are being withdrawn. But a less obvious
disappearance is Oyster Prepay. It's now referred to as 'pay as you
go'!

Dominic

Old October 26th 05, 04:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...06-leaflet.pdf

The Family Travelcard, Tube Carnet, Single zone Travelcard seasons
and some New Deal tickets are being withdrawn. But a less obvious
disappearance is Oyster Prepay. It's now referred to as 'pay as you
go'!

That's crazy! It's not pay as you go, it's pay *before* you go.
Pre-Pay was a good name which accurately described the concept of paying
in advance for a number of journeys, as distinct from paying for each
journey in cash, which *is* pay-as-you-go. I suppose they're trying to
hide the fact that they will get lots of money up front, but in changing
the name they have just made the whole Oyster concept more difficult to
understand. I feel an e-mail to TfL coming on.
--
Richard J.

Old October 26th 05, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...06-leaflet.pdf

The Family Travelcard, Tube Carnet, Single zone Travelcard seasons
and some New Deal tickets are being withdrawn. But a less obvious
disappearance is Oyster Prepay. It's now referred to as 'pay as you
go'!

That's crazy! It's not pay as you go, it's pay *before* you go.

Isn't that how pay-as-you-go Mobile Phone's work then?

Mike

Old October 26th 05, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Mike Hudgell wrote:

"Richard J." wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...06-leaflet.pdf

The Family Travelcard, Tube Carnet, Single zone Travelcard seasons and
some New Deal tickets are being withdrawn. But a less obvious
disappearance is Oyster Prepay. It's now referred to as 'pay as you
go'!

That's crazy! It's not pay as you go, it's pay *before* you go.

Isn't that how pay-as-you-go Mobile Phone's work then?

Exactly. 'Pay as you go' has ceased to be a descriptive phrase, and is
now, thanks to mobile phones, an atomic symbol - a single word with spaces
in, essentially - which means 'you put credit on it ahead of time and then
spend that credit as you go'. I wouldn't be surprised if key-operated
electricity meters started being called pay-as-you-go as well.

tom

--
Would you like to remember more?
Old October 26th 05, 08:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...06-leaflet.pdf

The Family Travelcard, Tube Carnet, Single zone Travelcard seasons
and some New Deal tickets are being withdrawn. But a less obvious
disappearance is Oyster Prepay. It's now referred to as 'pay as you
go'!

That's crazy! It's not pay as you go, it's pay *before* you go.
Pre-Pay was a good name which accurately described the concept of paying
in advance for a number of journeys, as distinct from paying for each
journey in cash, which *is* pay-as-you-go. I suppose they're trying to
hide the fact that they will get lots of money up front, but in changing
the name they have just made the whole Oyster concept more difficult to
understand. I feel an e-mail to TfL coming on.
--
Richard J.

Oh come on Richard. 'Pay As You Go' is common parlance now thanks to the
popular Mobile Phone payment mechanism.

Oyster Pre-Pay is exactly the same concept as mobile phone PAYG. It makes
absolute sense for TfL to describe it using a term that the general public
(excepting yourself perhaps) are totally comfortable with.

Colin

Old October 26th 05, 11:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:

[...]

Well, I must admit that the inconvenience of PAYG mobile phones is not
something that I have to put up with, having an Orange "Virgin EQ"
contract with zero rental and my (relatively few) call charges paid
monthly by direct debit. Sadly, Orange no longer offer this.

But I still feel that PAYG is a daft term for Oyster, since TfL want it
to be a replacement for cash fares which really are PAYG and don't have
a £3 initial charge.
--
Richard J.

Old October 27th 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
But I still feel that PAYG is a daft term for Oyster, since TfL want it
to be a replacement for cash fares which really are PAYG and don't have
a £3 initial charge.

Depends how much you value your time.

Anyone more senior than a kitchen cleaner will spend £3 of their time a week
queuing to buy cash singles.

Raoul.
Old October 30th 05, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Raoul wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

But I still feel that PAYG is a daft term for Oyster, since TfL want it
to be a replacement for cash fares which really are PAYG and don't have
a £3 initial charge.

Depends how much you value your time.

Anyone more senior than a kitchen cleaner will spend £3 of their time a
week queuing to buy cash singles.

Value of time is always a bit of a challenge. Using your hourly wage is
reasonable enough, although for most people that is really an average
and not a marginal value of time. It is quite possible that someone who
earns more than that would still be willing to spend the extra time to
save a few pounds - it really depends what else they would be doing with
the time.

--
To contact me take a davidhowdon and add a @yahoo.co.uk to the end.
Old October 27th 05, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

But I still feel that PAYG is a daft term for Oyster, since TfL want it
to be a replacement for cash fares which really are PAYG and don't have
a £3 initial charge.

Perhaps cash fares will be rebranded as "Pay through the nose" from January.

The £3 deposit can be recouped from two journeys from next year so its hardly
a moot point.

Cash - 2 x Zone 2 (£3) singles = £6

Oyster - 2 x Zone 2 (£1) prepay = £2 (+ £3 deposit) = £5

Not only recouped but a pound saved.

Old October 29th 05, 10:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:17:57 +0100, "TKD" wrote:

But I still feel that PAYG is a daft term for Oyster, since TfL want it
to be a replacement for cash fares which really are PAYG and don't have
a £3 initial charge.

Perhaps cash fares will be rebranded as "Pay through the nose" from January.

The £3 deposit can be recouped from two journeys from next year so its hardly
a moot point.

Cash - 2 x Zone 2 (£3) singles = £6

Oyster - 2 x Zone 2 (£1) prepay = £2 (+ £3 deposit) = £5

Not only recouped but a pound saved.

A very basic fact the anti-Oyster brigade seem incapable of
understanding!
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War, and in Films & TV:
http://www.nickcooper.org.uk/