Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 7th 05, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New fares from 2 January 2006 - pdf

In message , "tim (moved to sweden)"
writes
Can I just suggest that it is silly to buy strip cards in the
first place if you are unceratin that you are going to use them.

In many European towns the strip card discount is no more
than 10%. Risking wasting 50% of a strip ticket to save
10% just doesn't seem very sensible.

Is that really so now? In London carnet tickets give you something
like a 30% discount, in Paris it was slightly more last time I was
there. Cities with strip cards like Munich and Amsterday seemed to be
giving similar discounts last time I visited - and if you are not sure
exactly how many trips you are going to make, it's very easy to end up
with unused strips. It's certainly easier than trying to find ticket
offices or machines which will sell you singles each time.

Back to the main point: visitors to London faced with a single fare
which is half the price or less when using an Oyster card will, in many
cases, try to grapple with the system, rather than purchase what will
seem to them outrageously expensive singles. And since the rules for
Oyster cards are too complicated even for experienced natives to grasp
in their full glory, what hope is there for the visitor for a couple of
days?

--
Clive Page