Old October 31st 05, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Commuter Travel

Hi, I'm a final year University transport design student. I'm
undertaking a report on private commuter travel and I am interested in
the opinions of both public and private users. I would like to know why
certain people prefer each type of commuter travel and what problems
are encountered day in day out.

Below is a very brief summary of my initial thoughts

Background : A significant percentage of commuters travel privately
when making the journey to and from their place of work. They travel
the same route at the same time, day in day out. Often encompassing the
stress and boredom of congestion and road-works. Their time spent here
can add considerable time to their day and can thus be described as
being 'wasted time'.

Any views and opinions would be appreciated.

Andy

Old October 31st 05, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com, at
04:34:54 on Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Andy remarked:
Background : A significant percentage of commuters travel privately
when making the journey to and from their place of work. They travel
the same route at the same time, day in day out. Often encompassing the
stress and boredom of congestion and road-works. Their time spent here
can add considerable time to their day and can thus be described as
being 'wasted time'.

It's not wasted time if it's quicker door to door than using public
transport.

Nor is it wasted if they can listen to the radio (or other forms of
"entertainment" if preferred).

I used to listen to the R4 "today" programme for the hour I drove to
work, and "PM"/"6-O-Clock News" on the way home. As a result I was much
better informed about what was going on, and didn't regard the time as
wasted at all. In fact, it was quite relaxing. No need to get stressed
out by delays, any more than similarly regular delays on public
transport. Indeed, one is much more the master of one's destiny in a car
as you can take an alternative route so much easier than if you are
stuck on a train.

If I'd taken the train, the journey would have been more like 1.5hrs,
and it's much more effort to listen to the radio whilst buffeted around
on a commuter train, and getting to and from the station, compared to
sitting in a comfortable car.
Old October 31st 05, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Background : A significant percentage of commuters travel privately
when making the journey to and from their place of work. They travel
the same route at the same time, day in day out. Often encompassing the
stress and boredom of congestion and road-works. Their time spent here
can add considerable time to their day and can thus be described as
being 'wasted time'.

Andy

It might not be considered wasted time if it helps to avoid the sort of
people you find on public transport.

(Takes cover)

Paul

Old October 31st 05, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jon Jon is offline

Seems to me my exposure to the risk of suffering from crime by drivers
(mainly the risk of someone's careless driving leading to collision
with me) is much higher than my exposure to the risk of crime by public
transport users. E.g. if I must encounter drunks, I'd much rather
encounter one on a bus than one driving a car anywhere near me.

Jon

Old November 1st 05, 02:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Andy Seenan:
Hi, I'm a final year University transport design student. I'm
undertaking a report on private commuter travel and I am interested in
the opinions of both public and private users. ...

Below is a very brief summary of my initial thoughts...

Are you asking for opinions, or for opinions that support your
desired conclusion?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "He is even more important than my cat,

Old November 1st 05, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark Brader wrote:

Are you asking for opinions, or for opinions that support your
desired conclusion?

Your own opinions would be useful. I mentioned my inital thoughts in
order to try and invoke some kind of descussion or debate.

Cheers
Andy

Old November 2nd 05, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
I used to listen to the R4 "today" programme for the hour I drove to
work, and "PM"/"6-O-Clock News" on the way home.

My travel patterns vary but I've listened to both Today and PM whilst
commuting (I hate that word!) without the need for a car... there's
this great invention called a personal radio! Sony make some really
tiny (cigarette-lighter sized) FM personal radios. Obviously no good
for any subterranean travel though.

I find John Humphries a bit of an assault on my senses in the morning,
as I'm rarely fully conscious then, but I rate Eddie Mair's wry style
and the varied content of PM very highly. Alas 5pm is a bit early,
though I sometimes catch it whilst still working.

Old November 2nd 05, 12:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com, at
04:44:27 on Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Mizter T remarked:
I used to listen to the R4 "today" programme for the hour I drove to
work, and "PM"/"6-O-Clock News" on the way home.

My travel patterns vary but I've listened to both Today and PM whilst
commuting (I hate that word!) without the need for a car... there's
this great invention called a personal radio! Sony make some really
tiny (cigarette-lighter sized) FM personal radios. Obviously no good
for any subterranean travel though.

It's much more effort to listen to the radio whilst buffeted around on a
commuter train, and getting to and from the station, compared to sitting
in a comfortable car.

I find John Humphries a bit of an assault on my senses in the morning,
as I'm rarely fully conscious then, but I rate Eddie Mair's wry style
and the varied content of PM very highly. Alas 5pm is a bit early,
though I sometimes catch it whilst still working.

Yes, I only listened to PM from about 5.45pm most days.
Old November 2nd 05, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message .com, at
04:44:27 on Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Mizter T remarked:
I used to listen to the R4 "today" programme for the hour I drove to
work, and "PM"/"6-O-Clock News" on the way home.

My travel patterns vary but I've listened to both Today and PM whilst
commuting (I hate that word!) without the need for a car... there's
this great invention called a personal radio! Sony make some really
tiny (cigarette-lighter sized) FM personal radios. Obviously no good
for any subterranean travel though.

It's much more effort to listen to the radio whilst buffeted around on a
commuter train, and getting to and from the station, compared to sitting
in a comfortable car.

Er, perhaps, but I've never really found it a hassle, unless I'm so
crammed in I can't reach in my pocket to change the volume or
frequency, which happens more often on a bus than a train (but I'm
quite tall ). So I get it all set up right before embarking my public
transport vehicle of choice. I'd recommend it to those who only ever
stick their headphone jack into Apple's white miniature hard-disk
drive.

I do drive, but avoid doing so in the rush hour if at all possible. No
matter how comfortable the car, I find being in a traffic jam an
uncomfortable situation, and start dreaming about merrily peddling down
some parralel side-street on my bike going , or being on that bus
that's cruising down the big red expanse of the bus lane.

But I do totally understand that for some, being stuck in a traffic jam
for 15 minutes is only a part of a longer journey that is most quickly
completed by car.

I find John Humphries a bit of an assault on my senses in the morning,
as I'm rarely fully conscious then, but I rate Eddie Mair's wry style
and the varied content of PM very highly. Alas 5pm is a bit early,
though I sometimes catch it whilst still working.

Yes, I only listened to PM from about 5.45pm most days.

Workload dependent, I can sometimes sneak it on the radio in the office
where I am now whilst doing some more mundane tasks at the end of the
day, though that'd be a hanging offence in some other places I've
worked.

Old November 3rd 05, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Nov 2005 04:44:27 -0800, "Mizter T" wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
I used to listen to the R4 "today" programme for the hour I drove to
work, and "PM"/"6-O-Clock News" on the way home.

My travel patterns vary but I've listened to both Today and PM whilst
commuting (I hate that word!) without the need for a car... there's
this great invention called a personal radio! Sony make some really
tiny (cigarette-lighter sized) FM personal radios. Obviously no good
for any subterranean travel though.

There was some talk a while back about setting up DAB reception in the
tubes... here's hoping!

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com