Old January 26th 06, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Charged twice for single journey

Today I needed to travel from Euston Square (NOT Euston) to Leicester
Square.
I got on a circle line service to Kings Cross St Pancras to change for the
Piccadilly Line.
When I exited the circle line platforms, I passed through the barriers and
then again through the barriers for the Piccadilly line.
Because I passed through two sets of barriers, I have been charged £3
(Oyster Card Pre-pay) for a £1.50 journey.
Changing between sub-surface and deep level tube lines at Kings Cross isn't
a change I make regularly so can anybody explain to me if I have done
something wrong here (I just simply followed the signs marked Piccadilly
Line that took me through the barriers) or is this a problem that needs
resolving?

Simon

Old January 26th 06, 04:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Simon Lee wrote in uk.transport.london on Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:29:46
-0000 :

Today I needed to travel from Euston Square (NOT Euston) to Leicester
Square.
I got on a circle line service to Kings Cross St Pancras to change for the
Piccadilly Line.

Serious question - why not go to Warren Street and take the Northern
Line?

--
hike
- a walking tour or outing, esp. of the self-conscious kind
Old January 26th 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Simon Lee wrote:
Today I needed to travel from Euston Square (NOT Euston) to Leicester
Square.
I got on a circle line service to Kings Cross St Pancras to change for the
Piccadilly Line.
When I exited the circle line platforms, I passed through the barriers and
then again through the barriers for the Piccadilly line.
Because I passed through two sets of barriers, I have been charged £3
(Oyster Card Pre-pay) for a £1.50 journey.
Changing between sub-surface and deep level tube lines at Kings Cross isn't
a change I make regularly so can anybody explain to me if I have done
something wrong here (I just simply followed the signs marked Piccadilly
Line that took me through the barriers) or is this a problem that needs
resolving?

You did exactly the right thing for someone making a journey between
those stations (I assume you have mobility issues/heavy things to
carry: for a typical able-bodied adult, then the walk to Warren Street
or Euston is far quicker and easier than changing trains).

Are you *sure* the system charged you £3? The barriers at KX are set
up so that they don't charge Prepay customers extra in this kind of
situation, and have always worked for me.

Check your Oyster card on one of the machines: if it does show a
journey Euston Square - KX and a journey KX - Leicester Square, then
ask at the ticket office and they'll refund you £1.50.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old January 26th 06, 05:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John B" wrote in message
oups.com...
You did exactly the right thing for someone making a journey between
those stations (I assume you have mobility issues/heavy things to
carry: for a typical able-bodied adult, then the walk to Warren Street
or Euston is far quicker and easier than changing trains).

To be honest you have hit the nail on the head. I'd just had a big pile of
folders to take from another office to Euston Tower, was exhausted and I
just wanted to sit down as soon as possible but keep moving as strange as it
sounds.

Check your Oyster card on one of the machines: if it does show a
journey Euston Square - KX and a journey KX - Leicester Square, then
ask at the ticket office and they'll refund you £1.50.

I'll double check but I'm pretty sure it deducted it as I'd just topped up
my balance and working out the deductions from the balance shown on the
barriers, it seems to work out that £3 was deducted.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Old January 26th 06, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:29:46 -0000, "Simon Lee"
wrote:

Today I needed to travel from Euston Square (NOT Euston) to Leicester
Square.
I got on a circle line service to Kings Cross St Pancras to change for the
Piccadilly Line.
When I exited the circle line platforms, I passed through the barriers and
then again through the barriers for the Piccadilly line.
Because I passed through two sets of barriers, I have been charged £3
(Oyster Card Pre-pay) for a £1.50 journey.
Changing between sub-surface and deep level tube lines at Kings Cross isn't
a change I make regularly so can anybody explain to me if I have done
something wrong here (I just simply followed the signs marked Piccadilly
Line that took me through the barriers) or is this a problem that needs
resolving?

Were you charged? Or are you assuming you were charged? You
shouldn't have been, unless you went shopping or something while
outside the barriers for more than 30 minutes (I forget just what the
time limit is in these cases, but it's more than adequate).

Why you didn't walk to Warren Street or get on a 'bus is another
question :-)

Old January 26th 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Were you charged? Or are you assuming you were charged? You
shouldn't have been, unless you went shopping or something while
outside the barriers for more than 30 minutes (I forget just what the
time limit is in these cases, but it's more than adequate).

I passed between barriers in under 90 seconds.
Maybe I wasn't charged twice and I've done my maths wrong but I'm pretty
sure for some odd reason I was.

Why you didn't walk to Warren Street or get on a 'bus is another
question :-)

As I've said, my feet were aching like never before (I've developed a heel
problem in recent weeks) and just wanted to sit down for a couple of minutes
without stopping moving.
Thus, didn't want to dodge traffic crossing Euston Road, stood waiting for
traffic lights or walk the few minutes further to Euston.
In a way, I didn't think it through but I didn't expect to have to explain
myself !!!! ;-D
Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I'll check my usage the next time I
top-up.

Old January 26th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Today I needed to travel from Euston Square (NOT Euston) to Leicester
Square.
I got on a circle line service to Kings Cross St Pancras to change for the
Piccadilly Line.
When I exited the circle line platforms, I passed through the barriers and
then again through the barriers for the Piccadilly line.
Because I passed through two sets of barriers, I have been charged £3
(Oyster Card Pre-pay) for a £1.50 journey.
Changing between sub-surface and deep level tube lines at Kings Cross isn't
a change I make regularly so can anybody explain to me if I have done
something wrong here (I just simply followed the signs marked Piccadilly
Line that took me through the barriers) or is this a problem that needs
resolving?

As others have said you should not have been charged twice as the
configuration at Kings Cross is such that double charging is not enacted
for Oyster Pre Pay or for people travelling on single or return magnetic
tickets. I would check the transaction record to make sure and if both
legs are recorded on your card then I'd ask for a refund / card reset.

In all seriousness I would never make the journey you described by tube.
I would walk back to the bottom of Hampstead Road - thus avoiding the
need to cross Euston Road - and take a 24 or 29 bus. Only 80p Pre Pay at
off peak times and both routes are every 5 minutes now. You'd almost
certainly get a seat to rest your tired feet!
--
Paul C

Old January 27th 06, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
Paul Corfield typed:

wrote:

[...]

I think both legs should be recorded on his card but the second one will
have been charged at £0.00. That is what happened to me when I changed
between the two Hammersmith stations.

--
Bob

Old January 27th 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Yes I have had a similar thing happen to me. The gates say you have been
charged twice, but in actual fact if you check the statement it does not
happen.

"Bob Wood" wrote in message
In ,
Paul Corfield typed: