Old November 16th 05, 04:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

Default Plan for dealing with obnoxious phone calls on trains?

M. J. Powell wrote:
In message . com,
GazK writes
Not sure about "larger louts" (seems a bit fattist to me) but
screaming brats, or "children" as we call them, have as much right
to be on a train as you do (assuming they are not in the quiet
carriage). With the best will in the world, children sometimes make
loud unexpected noises and even responsible parents cannot - and
indeed should not - expect them to remain mute on a long train
journey.

Then why are some children perfectly behaved?

An interesting question.

I once had the experience of sitting in a large DSS waiting are for an hour
or more. There were several families with their children from several
different ethnic groups. It was the children from only one ethnic group that
ran around disturbing others; the one that engages in football hooliganism
and vandalism.

Old November 16th 05, 04:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

"Brimstone" wrote

I once had the experience of sitting in a large DSS waiting are for an

hour
or more. There were several families with their children from several
different ethnic groups. It was the children from only one ethnic group

that
ran around disturbing others; the one that engages in football hooliganism
and vandalism.

The neighbourhood policeman paid a visit to the pre-school. The children
from the travellers' site were very polite and called him 'sir'. The
children of other police officers kicked him.

Peter

Old November 16th 05, 05:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

Rich Mackin wrote:
"MIG" wrote in message
ups.com...
Carry a small, flask-like vessel of cold salty water, and when the
caller has finished the call, ask to borrow their phone...and place
it in said water.

No more calls on that journey

I had a Nokia 3310 which fell in the toilet (still not quite sure
how). For reasons of hygiene, I washed it very thoroughly, and then
took it apart as much as I could, thinking that the components are
mostly sealed in plastic and/or non-corrosive.

I then laid all the little, thoroughly-washed, bits out to dry for
two days.

Then I put it back together again, and it didn't work.

So the water may not need to be salty.

Having witnessed a Motorola bobbing up and down inside a pint, may I
suggest that lager-flavoured water can stop a phone from working.

Hopefully the phone gave the water some flavour.

Old November 16th 05, 05:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

"GazK" wrote in message
ups.com
Not sure about "larger louts" (seems a bit fattist to me)
but screaming brats, or "children" as we call them, have
as much right to be on a train as you do (assuming they
are not in the quiet carriage). With the best will in the
world, children sometimes make loud unexpected noises and
even responsible parents cannot - and indeed should not -
expect them to remain mute on a long train journey.

I do. If you can't control your offspring don't let them out in public.

Ivor

Old November 16th 05, 05:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

Graeme Wall wrote:
In message
Andrew Yarnwood wrote:

I have a proposal for dealing with (punishing) people who make loud
business phone calls on trains (or any other public transport). ("I'm
on the train ... buy! ... sell!")

I recall someone on this group[1] commenting that he overheard one of his
firm's competitors talking about a major contract in such detail on the train
that his company were able to trump the loudmouth's tender.

There are mobile phone jammers available from electrical retailers, but
they cost up to £200.

Still, it would be worth the money just to watch the misery on the
callers face as they try and figure out why their call keeps cutting
out.

Try http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/yo50.htm

Old November 16th 05, 06:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

wrote in message
ups.com...
Absolutely. No one in their right minds would complain about pleasant
well behaved children, but travelling for hours next to a table of
screaming, fighting spoiled brats would certainly spoil most
traveller's day.

I suppose I should go anywhere near complaining about crying children
either. But thats annoying too, especially when accompanied by chav
parents who take no notice, chugging down litres of tramp juice for the
entire journey.

If thats not Drunk in Charge, then it probably should be

:-p

Niall

Old November 16th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile
Jon Jon is offline

declared for all the world to hear...
Suggestions?

Sit in the quiet carriage.
--
Regards
Jon
Old November 16th 05, 06:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

"Jon" wrote in message
et
declared for all the world to hear...
Suggestions?

Sit in the quiet carriage.

But there isn't room for *all* of us in there..! The whole train should be
phone-free. As should buses for that matter.

Ivor

Old November 16th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

On 16 Nov 2005 11:49:16 -0000, Andrew Yarnwood wrote:

I have a proposal for dealing with (punishing) people who make loud
business phone calls on trains (or any other public transport). ("I'm
on the train ... buy! ... sell!")

Record the calls or make some note, especially if there's anything
that sounds confidential, and publish transcripts or summaries on the
web or a newsgroup.

Comments?
Suggestions?
Does a site or newsgroup already exist for this?

Just convert all services to Pendolino operation... Mobiles don't seem
to work well, if at all, on them...
Old November 16th 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:31:14 +0000, Ivor Jones wrote:

"Jon" wrote in message
et
declared for all the world to hear...
Suggestions?

Sit in the quiet carriage.

But there isn't room for *all* of us in there..! The whole train should be
phone-free. As should buses for that matter.

I never understand this. Should conversations also be banned. I assume the
motive is they you get frustrated by only being able to eavesdrop on on
half of the conversation - otherwise the 'campaign' would be about load
conversations not just phone conversations.