Old November 16th 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

Default Plan for dealing with obnoxious phone calls on trains?

Andrew Yarnwood wrote:
I have a proposal for dealing with (punishing) people who make loud
business phone calls on trains (or any other public transport). ("I'm
on the train ... buy! ... sell!")

Record the calls or make some note, especially if there's anything
that sounds confidential, and publish transcripts or summaries on the
web or a newsgroup.

It's human nature te get frustrated because you can only hear one side
of the conversation. Yet over it, it's no different from people who talk
loudly.

--
Marc
Visit http://www.iMarc.co.uk/ for contact information..

Old November 16th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

"Jon" wrote in message
et...
declared for all the world to hear...
Suggestions?

Sit in the quiet carriage.

Yeah, that really works... 8-)

--
***
http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/ ***

Old November 16th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

In message ,
Brimstone writes
M. J. Powell wrote:
In message . com,
GazK writes
Not sure about "larger louts" (seems a bit fattist to me) but
screaming brats, or "children" as we call them, have as much right
to be on a train as you do (assuming they are not in the quiet
carriage). With the best will in the world, children sometimes make
loud unexpected noises and even responsible parents cannot - and
indeed should not - expect them to remain mute on a long train
journey.

Then why are some children perfectly behaved?

An interesting question.

I once had the experience of sitting in a large DSS waiting are for an hour
or more. There were several families with their children from several
different ethnic groups. It was the children from only one ethnic group that
ran around disturbing others; the one that engages in football hooliganism
and vandalism.

I'm not surprised. The low luminance families can teach the high
luminance families a lot about family values.

Mike
Old November 16th 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

Andrew Yarnwood wrote:
I have a proposal for dealing with (punishing) people who make loud
business phone calls on trains (or any other public transport). ("I'm
on the train ... buy! ... sell!")

Record the calls or make some note, especially if there's anything
that sounds confidential, and publish transcripts or summaries on the
web or a newsgroup.

A far worse menace these days are the idiots who play music on their
phones via the loud speaker. It's worse than the walkman/Ipod tinny
hissing noise as these people really do think everyone else wants to
hear their (normally 'urban') music.

I should really get together some MP3s of very loud classical music to
counteract it, either that or develop a portable antinoise generator

Old November 16th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:

In message
Andrew Yarnwood wrote:

I have a proposal for dealing with (punishing) people who make loud
business phone calls on trains (or any other public transport). ("I'm
on the train ... buy! ... sell!")

I recall someone on this group[1] commenting that he overheard one of his
firm's competitors talking about a major contract in such detail on the train
that his company were able to trump the loudmouth's tender.

There are mobile phone jammers available from electrical retailers, but
they cost up to £200.

Still, it would be worth the money just to watch the misery on the
callers face as they try and figure out why their call keeps cutting
out.

Try
http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/yo50.htm

They are also illegal in the UK. For instance (from the same site)
"Note for UK customers: Cell phone jamming equipment is illegal to use
in the UK as it violates sections 1 & 13 of the 1949 telegraphy act, we
are therefore unable to supply cell phone jammers to any UK customer."

--
To contact me take a davidhowdon and add a @yahoo.co.uk to the end.
Old November 16th 05, 09:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

On 16 Nov 2005 10:50:51 -0800, wrote:

Graeme Wall wrote:
In message
Andrew Yarnwood wrote:

I have a proposal for dealing with (punishing) people who make loud
business phone calls on trains (or any other public transport). ("I'm
on the train ... buy! ... sell!")

I recall someone on this group[1] commenting that he overheard one of his
firm's competitors talking about a major contract in such detail on the train
that his company were able to trump the loudmouth's tender.

There are mobile phone jammers available from electrical retailers, but
they cost up to £200.

Still, it would be worth the money just to watch the misery on the
callers face as they try and figure out why their call keeps cutting
out.

Try
http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/yo50.htm

A friend of mine suggested a small device that transmitted the sound
of a low flying aircraft on bluetooth frequencies - it would be
exceedingly amusing to watch those with bluetootehed mobile phones
diving for cover - in the office :-)

One day we'll work out how to make one..........

Old November 16th 05, 09:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile

On 16 Nov 2005 10:50:51 -0800, wrote:

There are mobile phone jammers available from electrical retailers, but
they cost up to £200.

Still, it would be worth the money just to watch the misery on the
callers face as they try and figure out why their call keeps cutting
out.

Alternatively just have a ride on one of Branson's trains. You'll get
the same without shelling out £200...