Old November 26th 05, 05:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mal Mal is offline

Default Victoria Line on Wednesday morning

Hehehehe.... You hate it??

You want to right the IRFs......

Mal

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On 24 Nov 2005 16:12:45 -0800, "
wrote:

On Wednesday morning, at aboutn 9.50a.m. there was some sort of
Victoria Line problem on the Northbound line into Victoria - according
to a station announcer a train was due to "come out of a siding"
(somewhere between Victoria and Pimlico?) to be the next Northbound
train but there was a signal problem, and the line became blocked.

[snip]

Two questions for those "in the know":

1. Was it inevitable that there would be difficulty in the Southbound
train trying to travel North out of the Southbound platform? For
example, maybe this was impossible because the next following
Southbound train was in block and therefore preventing any other train
from "reversing" into its block, even if only to use the cross-over to
the Northbound? If so, why did they even attempt to do so?

I would say it was not inevitable that the attempt to run north from the
s/b platform would fail because of the failure at the sidings. The two
ends of the station should run independently of each other.

It sounds to me, and I cannot recall what was in the internal daily
report, that there was a second failure that then prevented the intended
recovery strategy from working. It is the most sensible strategy at
Victoria if you are in the position of having the two sidings out of
service to the south because you can't get trains back out on to the n/b
tracks.

There is no point in sending trains to Brixton because you will end up
with a huge jam and given past incidents about trains stuck in tunnels
great attention is now paid to ensuring trains do not become stuck
between stations.

2. How on Earth could such a localised problem on a section South of
Victoria effectively paralyse the entire line in both directions?
Aren't there procedures in place to allow, for example (as presumably
was attempted here), turning trains at Victoria and then continuing a
Victoria - Walthamstow service, cutting out the Brixton section?

The decision to suspend is often the logical consequence when somewhere
like Victoria fails. It is so crucial to the line's operation that you
have to suspend, get the power off and allow the repair staff on to
track to undertake repairs. The other issue is traction current
sections which may not align with where the turnbacks / crossovers are.
Therefore you may need to suspend over a larger area to get the power
off.

Another point is that while loads of people are inconvenienced when a
line suspends it does provide a level of certainty about travel options
- i.e. the line is NOT running rather than it "might, possibly be
running to somewhere on the line at some point in time". I know this
seems perverse if you want to use the line but at least you are "forced"
to think about using another route.

If it's any consolation I hate it when the Vic Line falls over like this
as it's the main tube line to get me home. I do have about 10
contingency routes "up my sleeve" so I can keep moving if the worst
happens.
--
Paul C

Old November 26th 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mal Mal is offline

Urban myth i am afraid.
The sidings can take 1 train each. In an emergency a secind train can be
fitted into the sidings but its not a signal move, its done under rule only
under exceptional situations, usually to enable trains to enter Brixton and
disgorge customers. It was done on during the 2 attacks.

Its a shame the system at Vic failed to work correctly. If it had we could
have had a service running. As it was, our private contractors couldn't find
the problem....but thats another thread!

Mal
wrote in message
Paul Corfield wrote:
Seven Sisters - typically north to south via the sidings / depot road.
If a train fails in the s/b platform they can and do reverse it back
into the sidings. You can't head south from the central terminating

Just out of curiousity , how far do the sidings at Brixton go? I've heard
the tunnel goes halfway to streatham (urban myth perhaps?) but how far
does the track go? Can you fit many trains down there or is it used for
storage of some sort?

B2003

Old November 26th 05, 08:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:54:55 GMT, "Mal"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .
On 24 Nov 2005 16:12:45 -0800, "
wrote:

If it's any consolation I hate it when the Vic Line falls over like this
as it's the main tube line to get me home. I do have about 10
contingency routes "up my sleeve" so I can keep moving if the worst
happens.

Hehehehe.... You hate it??

You want to right the IRFs......

Well I get to read enough of them in JNP land that I don't really want
to add in BCV as well.

--
Paul C

Old November 26th 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mal Mal is offline

Thats terrible.....i meant write....... bugger!

wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
. ..

Old November 27th 05, 12:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 03:25:25 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

And can you reverse in both directions at Victoria, Warren Street and
Seven Sisters?

[snipped]

Whether the "rare" moves are prevented by the signalling set up I simply
don't know.

Fair enough. Cheers for the info!

tom

--
This should be on ox.boring, shouldn't it?
Old November 27th 05, 06:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:38 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

[Victoria line - Victoria line layout]

Victoria was built with a scissors crossover at the North end, wasn;t
it? Why on earth did they remove it?

I think you're right. No idea why they were removed.
--
Paul C