Old January 22nd 06, 01:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Is it correct to use 999 in this case...?

"Dr John Stockton" wrote in message
At least around 1960, most London police stations were exchange 1113;
the idea is not entirely new.

Not 1212 ? As in Whitehall 1212 = Scotland Yard.. ?

Regards
Sunil

Old January 22nd 06, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Dr John Stockton
writes
At least around 1960, most London police stations were exchange 1113;
the idea is not entirely new.

When I was a boy, I frequently heard on the radio "Would X please
contact the police on Whitehall 1212 where urgent news awaits him.
What has happened to that number now
--
Clive
Old January 22nd 06, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
Jonathan Morris writes
The main reason for not allowing access is/was to prevent hoax calls
from unregistered/blocked SIM cards, or indeed no SIM card at all.

I've an old mobile without a sim card in it but it will still make 112
calls when dialled.
--
Clive
Old January 22nd 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

JRS: In article , dated Sat, 21 Jan
2006 04:15:00 remote, seen in news:uk.transport.london, Mark Brader
posted :
David FitzGerald:
112 is the international standard emergency number. It works almost
anywhere in the world. ...

My understanding is that it is only a European standard. I'm confident
enough that it doesn't work here to try it -- and I've just confirmed
that it doesn't. If you can cite anything official saying that it is
a world standard, I'd be interested to see it.

But one would not expect a world standard to apply in an American
system, and that's what Canada uses.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms
Old January 22nd 06, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote in uk.transport.london on Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:35:12 +0000
:

My bank (Abbey) has call centres in India, and there English is
terrible,

Well, quite.

Old January 22nd 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Dave Hillam
] writes
Clive wrote in uk.transport.london on Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:35:12 +0000
:

My bank (Abbey) has call centres in India, and there English is
terrible,

Well, quite.

Sorry , that's not looking at what I'm typing, remove the there and
replace it with their.
--
Clive
Old January 22nd 06, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote:
My bank (Abbey) has call centres in India, and there English is
terrible, so much so I keep re-dialing until I get an English/Scotish
voice.

THEIR English!

Pot, kettle, black. ;-)

Old January 22nd 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive" wrote in message
In message , Dr John Stockton
writes
At least around 1960, most London police stations were exchange 1113;
the idea is not entirely new.

When I was a boy, I frequently heard on the radio "Would X please contact
the police on Whitehall 1212 where urgent news awaits him. What has
happened to that number now

1212 (in various exchanges) is still widely used by the Met:
http://www.met.police.uk/contacts/AZPhonenumbers.htm
--
David Biddulph

Old January 22nd 06, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Clive wrote:
In message , Dr John Stockton
writes
At least around 1960, most London police stations were exchange 1113;
the idea is not entirely new.

When I was a boy, I frequently heard on the radio "Would X please
contact the police on Whitehall 1212 where urgent news awaits him.
What has happened to that number now

Clive Feather will probably know details, but there've been several
renumberings since those days:

WHI 1212 should have become 01 944 1212 but I'm not sure if it ever did.
At some time between the introduction of all-figure dialling, when the
alpha codes were abandoned, and PhONEyday (1990), it seems Scotland
Yard (for it is they) moved to a new number range. Certainly the 944
director ended up in 081 not 071, as you'd have expected if it was still
in WHItehall. Searching for this topic in uk.telecom suggests that it
actually became 230 1212, but I don't know when.

That would then have become 0171 230 1212 and then 020 7230 1212.

Google again for that number and I get the Metropolitan Police at New
Scotland Yard: http://www.met.police.uk/contacts/Phonenumbers.htm

QED :-) But nowhere near so memorable ...

Nick
--
So when is Tony Blair going to start treating *us* with respect ?
Old January 22nd 06, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark Brader:
My understanding is that [112] is only a European standard. I'm
confident enough that it doesn't work here [Canada] to try it...
If you can cite anything official saying that it is a world standard,
I'd be interested to see it.

John Stockton:
But one would not expect a world standard to apply in an American
system, and that's what Canada uses.

In that sense one would not expect a world standard to apply in Britain
either. Unless it was invented there, of course.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "To the vector go the spoils."