Old January 24th 06, 04:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford

In article . com,
Matt Ashby wrote:
I would imagine that when TfL takes over control of
SilverLink Metro services PrePay will be introduced
fairly quicky. It would be quite easy to implement: most
of the NNL stations are self-contained or have interchange
only with LU, and those that aren't often have a clear
division between SilverLink and other services (e.g.
Willesden Junction, where SilverLink use the high level,
or Stratford where they use the low level).

When TfL take over the NLL, it will be cut back from Woolwich,
and the Stratford terminus will have moved.

--
RIP Morph (1977-2005)

Old January 25th 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, Matt
Ashby writes

Or you could turn control of the NNL over to LU, with all
the security, frequency and service improvements that
would bring ...

I see that the Mayor has already announced that an absolute requirement
of the franchise, up for grabs next year, will be staffing of all
stations on the Silverlink network at all times they are open:

Paul Terry
Old January 25th 06, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

TKD wrote:
I was reading something on the net about the layout of Stratford station
on the Central Line. I have been there before a few years ago, but I
don't remember the layout myself. The page indicated that it's possible
to transfer between Central Line trains and mainline trains across the
platform. Doesn't this imply that it's possible to board a tube train
without entering a fare-control area? If so, how does one get charged
the proper amount on one's farecard upon exit on the other end of one's
journey?
If arriving at Stratford on a mainline train and using an Oystercard to
continue your journey you need to touch in before boarding the tube (or
v.v.) - there are around 6-8(?) readers on each of the Central line
platforms.

I suppose the same holds if one enters the platform area from the station ticketing hall?

The whole station is a fare control area. The only entrance is owned and
managed by London Underground with a tube style gateline. There is a
second gateline between the Jubilee line and the rest of the station so
anyone starting their journey at Stratford or interchanging from the
Jubilee line will be forced to pass a barrier.

Validators on the island platforms are provided for transfer between
'one' services to/from the east and Central/DLR.

The first time I changed at Stratford, I fell foul of the mess of this
station. I was arriving by Jubilee, and departing by central, on
prepay. When I arrived at the gateline off the Jubilee platforms, I
asked the man there whether I also had to touch in on the central line
platforms, as I was already using my oyster here. He told me I didn't
have to, so I didn't, and the obvious problem occured when I arrived at
my destination: it wouldn't let me out of the gates because I was
supposed to have touched in on the central.

Robin
Old January 25th 06, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

R.C. Payne wrote:

[...]

Nice! Despite using the station almost every day I have never seen anything
about this.

Do you have to touch in going the other way? And do you get charged for two
journeys?

It's chaos like this (as well as the National Rail problem) that makes me
seriously doubt I'll ever succumb to Oyster Pre Pay.

Old January 25th 06, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

[...]

The system never stops you from leaving through the gates at your
destination under these circumstances.

The only reason the system would not let you *exit* the system is if you
present your card twice at the same gateline. For example if the person in
front of you went through on your ticket and the barriers close on you and
you touch again to try and get out.

Old January 25th 06, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:17:17 +0000, "R.C. Payne"
wrote:

The first time I changed at Stratford, I fell foul of the mess of this
station. I was arriving by Jubilee, and departing by central, on
prepay. When I arrived at the gateline off the Jubilee platforms, I
asked the man there whether I also had to touch in on the central line
platforms, as I was already using my oyster here. He told me I didn't
have to, so I didn't, and the obvious problem occured when I arrived at
my destination: it wouldn't let me out of the gates because I was
supposed to have touched in on the central.

That's interesting. I regularly transfer CentralJubilee at
Stratford. I have never touched in or out on the Central platform,
but have to touch at the Jubilee barrier. This has never given a
problem with my Oyster pre-pay in either direction.
Old January 25th 06, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

wrote:

The first time I changed at Stratford, I fell foul of the mess of this
station. I was arriving by Jubilee, and departing by central, on
prepay. When I arrived at the gateline off the Jubilee platforms, I
asked the man there whether I also had to touch in on the central line
platforms, as I was already using my oyster here. He told me I didn't
have to, so I didn't, and the obvious problem occured when I arrived at
my destination: it wouldn't let me out of the gates because I was
supposed to have touched in on the central.

That's interesting. I regularly transfer CentralJubilee at
Stratford. I have never touched in or out on the Central platform,
but have to touch at the Jubilee barrier. This has never given a
problem with my Oyster pre-pay in either direction.

It wouldn't. You do not need to touch the Central line validators if
changing from the Jubilee.

Old January 25th 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TKD wrote:
[...]

Uh huh. When I "sought assistance", the guy at the station (very
friendly) told me that, as far as the "sytstem" was concerned, I had
completed my last journey at Stratford and not started a new one. He
let me out on his pass, and when I checked the card for its journey
history, it said I had travelled from (I think) London Bridge to
Stratford and nothing more (which would imply that it wasn't a case of
someone else walking through the gate on my touch-out). Having followed
this newsgroup, I am aware of the need to be careful with this sort of
thing, which is why I asked at Stratford whether or not I needed to use
the Central line platform validators. Man at Stratford said, "no," man
at other station (I think it was Leyton) said, "yes" (and was backed up
by not-opening gates).

Robin
Old January 25th 06, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

"R.C. Payne" wrote in message ...
TKD wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately getting two different stories out of transport staff is not
a rare situation. The training has been at best woefully inadequate.

I've gone from West Ham to Leyton via Stratford a few times and it has
always charged me correctly. On the prepay statement it shows as a journey
starting at West Ham and ending at Stratford followed by a journey starting
at West Ham ending at Leyton. With the charge being made for the second
"full" journey only.

At Leyton the card would show a completed journey ending at Stratford until
the card was successfully validated at the Leyton gateline. Which would indicate
for some reason the validator on the barrier at Leyton was not reading the card
properly.

Old January 25th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:27:25 -0000, "TKD" wrote:

That's interesting. I regularly transfer CentralJubilee at
Stratford. I have never touched in or out on the Central platform,
but have to touch at the Jubilee barrier. This has never given a
problem with my Oyster pre-pay in either direction.

It wouldn't. You do not need to touch the Central line validators if
changing from the Jubilee.

So I wonder what happened to my name-sake?