Old January 30th 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ladies & Gentlemen

In article ,
www.waspies.net wrote:

Maybe the announcements should start with a loud "OI YOU ****ERS" quickly
followed by a 30-second burst of klaxon, two minutes of screaming babies
mixed in with the sounds of a slaughter house, followed by more profanity,
and finally "stand behind the yellow line" :-P

Sounds good to me, I'm back on the Met tomorrow night, listen out for
that one

I'm sure there's a band who've released that song already.

Nick
--
So when is Tony Blair going to start treating *us* with respect ?

Old January 30th 06, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matt Ashby" typed

Which announcements do you think are useless? Do
you have any examples?

'On leaving the train, please ensure you have all your personal
possessions with you.'

Has no effect on the terminally scatter-brained AFAICT...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 30th 06, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Matt Ashby" typed

Which announcements do you think are useless? Do
you have any examples?

'On leaving the train, please ensure you have all your personal
possessions with you.'

Has no effect on the terminally scatter-brained AFAICT...

But would have an effect on someone who isn't scatter-brained, but has left
something behind. Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it's
useless

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old January 30th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes
"Matt Ashby" typed

Which announcements do you think are useless? Do
you have any examples?

'On leaving the train, please ensure you have all your personal
possessions with you.'

Has no effect on the terminally scatter-brained AFAICT...

You probably saw that I posted recently about a large part of the front
end of a Ford Escort being left on a District Line train (I was told of
this on a behind-the-scenes visit to Baker Street a while ago now).
The number of umbrellas, gloves and mobile phones there is amazing.

Whenever I come to the end of tours, be it for half a day or for several
days' duration, I always do an announcement about not leaving things
behind which I endeavour to make sound spontaneous and with feeling,
rather than just being well, an announcement. But people still leave
things, even after they've been told the tale of an incident many years
ago now, when someone left behind their artificial foot.......
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old January 30th 06, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
[...]

But you never see the items from people who would have left something, but
upon hearing the announcement remembered to take their items with them...
so it'll always appear, from lost-baggage's perspective, that the
announcements don't work :-P

Old January 30th 06, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling London UK" wrote in message
Who on earth thought the new tube announcements starting,
"Ladies & Gentlemen," were a good idea ?

I get a sinking feeling everytime I hear them at Aldgate. They go off
about every 5 seconds, step on the announcements you want to hear, and are
so bloody pointless !

"Ladies & Gentlemen, this is a tube station, you can allegedly get a tube
home from here."

And more, constantly, only less useful :-)

--
Edward Cowling London UK

I'm doing inner rail circle line runs three evening's this week,
I'll be sure to give it "Good evening eddie" when at Aldgate.......

Old January 30th 06, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Nick Leverton wrote:

In article ,
www.waspies.net wrote:

Maybe the announcements should start with a loud "OI YOU ****ERS"
quickly followed by a 30-second burst of klaxon, two minutes of
screaming babies mixed in with the sounds of a slaughter house,
followed by more profanity, and finally "stand behind the yellow line"
:-P

Sounds good to me, I'm back on the Met tomorrow night, listen out for
that one

I'm sure there's a band who've released that song already.

Yes, the Aphex Twin did a whole album like that.

tom

--
Don't trust the laws of men. Trust the laws of mathematics.
Old January 30th 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

www.waspies.net wrote:

Maybe the announcements should start with a loud "OI YOU ****ERS"
quickly followed by a 30-second burst of klaxon, two minutes of
screaming babies mixed in with the sounds of a slaughter house,
followed by more profanity, and finally "stand behind the yellow line"
:-P

Sounds good to me, I'm back on the Met tomorrow night, listen out for
that one

I'm sure there's a band who've released that song already.

Yes, the Aphex Twin did a whole album like that.

Come to Daddy ?

Nick
--
So when is Tony Blair going to start treating *us* with respect ?
Old January 31st 06, 07:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matt Ashby" wrote in message
ups.com...

Which announcements do you think are useless? Do
you have any examples?

"There is currently a one second pause good one second pause service
on the Northern Line".

Ian

Old January 31st 06, 07:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:19:42 -0000, "Ian F."
wrote:

"Matt Ashby" wrote in message
oups.com...

Which announcements do you think are useless? Do
you have any examples?

"There is currently a one second pause good one second pause service
on the Northern Line".

Ian

I agree, useless, especially when the Train Display says next train in
14 mins!!!!