Old February 2nd 06, 12:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LUL gives up on Regent's Park lifts

I presume.

A new Diagram has gone up arount the network recently including news
of various future closures, including Regent's Park for 12 months from
June.

I'm guessing this is for lift replacement as the two lifts there have
been constantly in and out of service for months.

But I hadn't heard anything about it here.

Other news from the new Diagram
(http://tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.pdf):

- Lancaster Gate will be shut from July until October.
- W&C will be shut from April to October.
- Shoreditch closes for good in June.

Not sure how many of these were actually known before. Probably all of
them...

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com

Old February 2nd 06, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:
I presume.

A new Diagram has gone up arount the network recently

http://tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.pdf

Is that peculiarity at Kennington new? There used to be a similar
arrangement at Chesham / Chalfont & Latimer, but that has been removed
and replaced with explanatory text.

Kentish Town is shown as an interchange, is this new?

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

Old February 2nd 06, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Larry Lard wrote:

Is that peculiarity at Kennington new?

I think so, but now it looks a mess. The Hainault Loop through services at
Woodford are absent when I'm sure I've seen some announced, the through
Chesham service is shown as a standard section despite being a peak only
service so a note and now the Charing Cross-Morden services are given a
different shading but a note that they are rare off peak. What a mess!

Old February 2nd 06, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Larry Lard wrote:
James Farrar wrote:
I presume.

A new Diagram has gone up arount the network recently

http://tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.pdf

Is that peculiarity at Kennington new?

Relatively, although it's a good way of demonstrating what actually
happens

Kentish Town is shown as an interchange, is this new?

Not judging from the 2004 vintage official LU diagram in my Filofax,
which has it as a NR interchange in the same way most of the Victoria
Line is.

Old February 2nd 06, 10:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New diagram (was: LUL gives up on Regent's Park lifts)

James Farrar writes:
Other news from the new Diagram
(http://tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.pdf):

- W&C will be shut from April to October.

For which the notice for that is very awkwardly placed. Compare
Whitechapel, where the closure notice and hours notice are together
and both red. Not that the notice for Whitechapel is all that well
done either -- the way *it's* placed, it could just as well refer
to Bethnal Green. (Compare Cannon Street.)

Another thing that struck me is that the notice for Turnham Green
says that it's "also" served by Piccadilly Line trains at certain
times, yet it has a normal stud on the Piccadilly, so "also" seems
to be the wrong adverb.

Incidentally, what's the rationale for giving exact times when some
services or stations are open (Shoreditch, Woodford-Hainault,
Waterloo & City, etc.) but not others (Turnham Green (Piccadilly),
Uxbridge (Piccadilly), Whitechapel-Barking (H&C))?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "1. Buy 64 more buses."
--Michael Wares

Old February 2nd 06, 11:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark Brader wrote:
James Farrar writes:
Other news from the new Diagram
(http://tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.pdf):

- W&C will be shut from April to October.

For which the notice for that is very awkwardly placed. Compare
Whitechapel, where the closure notice and hours notice are together
and both red. Not that the notice for Whitechapel is all that well
done either -- the way *it's* placed, it could just as well refer
to Bethnal Green. (Compare Cannon Street.)

For the two mentions of Whitechapel above, read Shoreditch.

Another thing that struck me is that the notice for Turnham Green
says that it's "also" served by Piccadilly Line trains at certain
times, yet it has a normal stud on the Piccadilly, so "also" seems
to be the wrong adverb.

Strictly true, but the alternative would be to say "Served by Piccadilly
line trains early mornings and late evenings only", which could possibly
cause some confusion over what "only" referred to. It's clearer the way
it's worded now.

Incidentally, what's the rationale for giving exact times when some
services or stations are open (Shoreditch, Woodford-Hainault,
Waterloo & City, etc.) but not others (Turnham Green (Piccadilly),
Uxbridge (Piccadilly), Whitechapel-Barking (H&C))?

Because in those last three cases there are other services readily
available, so the exact times don't matter too much.

While we're being picky, the Kennington note implies that there aren't
many off-peak trains at all on the Charing Cross branch ("most trains
run to/from Morden via the Bank branch"). It should say "most trains
to/from Morden run via the Bank branch".

--
Richard J.

Old February 3rd 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar:
(http://tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.pdf):
- W&C will be shut from April to October.

Mark Brader:
Compare Whitechapel, where the closure notice and hours notice
are together and both red. Not that the notice for Whitechapel
is all that well done ...

Richard J.:
For the two mentions of Whitechapel above, read Shoreditch.

Urk, yes. Sorry about that.

Another thing that struck me is that the notice for Turnham Green
says that it's "also" served by Piccadilly Line trains at certain
times, yet it has a normal stud on the Piccadilly, so "also" seems
to be the wrong adverb.

Strictly true, but the alternative would be to say "Served by Piccadilly
line trains early mornings and late evenings only", which could possibly
cause some confusion over what "only" referred to.

Yeah, "only" is like that. Moving it to after "trains" wouldn't help
either. However, there are other possibilities. "Piccadilly line
trains stop early mornings and late evenings only" would resolve the
ambiguity and would be shorter too. But then I suppose someone else
might find "stop" ambiguous! Perhaps the best option (with the present
graphic) is to take the existing wording and just delete "also".

It's clearer the way it's worded now.

The text is clear, but the graphic doesn't match it, which promotes
uncertainty.

Incidentally, what's the rationale for giving exact times when some
services or stations are open (Shoreditch, Woodford-Hainault,
Waterloo & City, etc.) but not others (Turnham Green (Piccadilly),
Uxbridge (Piccadilly), Whitechapel-Barking (H&C))?

Because in those last three cases there are other services readily
available, so the exact times don't matter too much.

Ah, got it.

While we're being picky, the Kennington note implies that there aren't
many off-peak trains at all on the Charing Cross branch ("most trains
run to/from Morden via the Bank branch"). It should say "most trains
to/from Morden run via the Bank branch".

I think the existing version is ambiguous rather than misleading, and
in this case the graphic helps clarify the intended reading. But yes,
Richard's wording would certainly be an improvement.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto Don't put all your X in one window.
-- Peter Neumann