Old February 5th 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default "Death Line" 1972 (Film)

Paul wrote:

Does anyone know any more about such urban legends?

Well, people will make up all sorts of stuff to pass the time. But there
are several other pieces of entertainment that mine the same rich vein.
There was (so SWMBO tells me) a Doctor Who story set in a disused tube
stn, and I certainly remember a Quatermass story (where the station was
IIRC called Hob's Lane). Both had nasties lurking below ground. As did
American Werewolf in London, filmed at TCR, though David the wolf was
only a temporary resident.

And there are plenty of disused tunnels to speculate about, most
recently the original alignment of the Jubilee line. Of course, some
unlikely tales about goings-on in tube tunnels turn out to be quite
true, like the one about building aircraft in the Central Line Eastern
extension tunnels during WW2.

Old February 5th 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Chris Tolley wrote:

There was (so SWMBO tells me) a Doctor Who story set in a disused tube
stn,

From recollection three stories, though none feature disused stations.

In "The Web of Fear" (1968) the TARDIS materialises in the tube and finds
the network shut down and London evacuated due to an invasion by robotic
Yeti. A number of tube stations are seen, but all scenes were recorded in
studio (though the sets were so convincing that London Underground believed
otherwise!).

London is evactuated again in 1974's "Invasion of the Dinosaurs", where the
monsters of the story's title have been transported back in time by renegade
scientists operating an a base beneath (I thin) Aldgate tube, accessed by a
lift in a broom cupboard.

And in 1986's "The Trial of a Time Lord" the Doctor visits the future where
Earth has been devasted by a solar flare and survivors live in "Marb
station", a complex built in and beneath Marble Arch station (although the
set for the actual remains of the station bears little resemblence to Marble
Arch).

Old February 5th 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

The Doctor Who story 'The Web of Fear' of 1968 was indeed set on the
Underground, although the BBC were quoted such a ridiculous price to
film on the actual Underground and with so many understandable strings
attached that they built their own set of a short platform which could
be redressed to represent a number of stations and a couple of sections
of tunnel (one straight and one with a junction) which were apparently
so convincing that LT believed that a film crew had broken in and
filmed without permission. The only location filming was done in the
Woolwich foot tunnel. The one surviving episode can be seen on the
'Lost in Time' DVD release and while the Underground sets are very
detailed the junction appears several times in odd places (such as
while the characters are walking from Covent Garden to Goodge Street).

The Quatermass to which you refer is the Hammer film of 'Quatermass and
the Pit' and the underground station was all in studio as far as I'm
aware.

Old February 5th 06, 09:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul" wrote in message

"Ericthehalfabee" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
Paul wrote in
:

I don't know if anyone was watching TV4 last night but a fascinating
film "Death Line" from 1972 was shown. Essentially people kept going
into a central london tube station late at night and never being seen
again. [I'm not saying which one for reasons that those who know
which one it is will understand - suffice to say the station choice
made its screening at all a little surprising].

I'm intrigued why the choice of station should make it surprising that
the film was ever screened. Are you talking about the station that was
portrayed as opposed to the one where it was actually filmed?

The Station portrayed. Not ever screened, but screened recently.

According to the credits, the whole thing was filmed on location .
Does anyone know where it was filmed. Gloucester road and South
Kensington seem possibilities as there was a sign saying "District
Line". The disused station area where the trogoldytes lived was
absolutely fascinating, does anyone know where it was?

IMDB (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0068458/) mentions Russell Square
station as one of the filming locations. However that's on the
Piccadilly Line, not the District Line, so maybe other stations were
used as well for the filming.
The deep level scenes were on the picc line but not at RS because as
well as way out signs there were "To District Line" Signs.

All filmed on the Aldwych branch, I believe.

That was my first suspicion but the trains definitely arrived and departed
so I dont think it could have been aldwych - could have been platform 3
at Holborn possibly, but that wouldn't explain the "to District Line" sign
which was inappropriate for the station portrayed. Either way the station
had lifts not escalators

Aldwych station had signs on the platform pointing to the district line,
which actually were supposed to direct you to Temple station which is a few
minutes walk away.

Andrew

Old February 5th 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Chris Tolley wrote:

[snip]

And there are plenty of disused tunnels to speculate about, most
recently the original alignment of the Jubilee line. Of course, some
unlikely tales about goings-on in tube tunnels turn out to be quite
true, like the one about building aircraft in the Central Line Eastern
extension tunnels during WW2.

Turned into a Plessey factory using about about 7 miles of twin running
tunnels.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Old February 5th 06, 10:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Ianigsy" wrote in message
ups.com...
The Doctor Who story 'The Web of Fear' of 1968 was indeed set on the
Underground, although the BBC were quoted such a ridiculous price to
film on the actual Underground and with so many understandable strings
attached that they built their own set of a short platform which could
be redressed to represent a number of stations and a couple of sections
of tunnel (one straight and one with a junction) which were apparently
so convincing that LT believed that a film crew had broken in and
filmed without permission. The only location filming was done in the
Woolwich foot tunnel. The one surviving episode can be seen on the
'Lost in Time' DVD release and while the Underground sets are very
detailed the junction appears several times in odd places (such as
while the characters are walking from Covent Garden to Goodge Street).

I have quite literally just watched this episode, and I have to say I'm very
impressed with the set tube sets - not the "wobbly cardboard" sets for which
Doctor Who is often mis-remembered. It was only really the junction that let
it down - whilst the placement of the junction was odd, I thought the actual
trackwork was odder. No attempt was made to represent a real point and
crossing set, and it's clear that the BBC only modelled a three-rail system
(two running rails and a central current rail). At the crossings, the rails
just joined together and passed through each other rather than have any
gaps - how London Transport were fooled by this I don't know!

--
Ronnie

Old February 5th 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote:

Chris Tolley wrote:

There was (so SWMBO tells me) a Doctor Who story set in a disused tube
stn,

From recollection three stories, though none feature disused stations.

In "The Web of Fear" (1968) the TARDIS materialises in the tube and finds
the network shut down and London evacuated due to an invasion by robotic
Yeti. A number of tube stations are seen, but all scenes were recorded in
studio (though the sets were so convincing that London Underground believed
otherwise!).

For a Dr Who set, that is saying something!

Actually I believe the Beeb has, or at least had, a generic tube station set.
I seem to remember it appearing on a number of different programmes

London is evactuated again in 1974's "Invasion of the Dinosaurs", where the
monsters of the story's title have been transported back in time by
renegade scientists operating an a base beneath (I thin) Aldgate tube,
accessed by a lift in a broom cupboard.

That sounds more like Dr Who.

And in 1986's "The Trial of a Time Lord" the Doctor visits the future where
Earth has been devasted by a solar flare and survivors live in "Marb
station", a complex built in and beneath Marble Arch station (although the
set for the actual remains of the station bears little resemblence to
Marble Arch).

After my time.

Old February 5th 06, 10:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Tim Roll-Pickering
writes
Chris Tolley wrote:

There was (so SWMBO tells me) a Doctor Who story set in a disused tube
stn,

From recollection three stories, though none feature disused stations.

In "The Web of Fear" (1968) the TARDIS materialises in the tube and finds
the network shut down and London evacuated due to an invasion by robotic
Yeti. A number of tube stations are seen, but all scenes were recorded in
studio (though the sets were so convincing that London Underground believed
otherwise!).

Was that the one where an actor died on the set and the others ad libbed
around his part? The sets were in the studio, but as a number of
parallel tunnels. It went out live.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old February 5th 06, 10:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

That sounds more like Dr Who.

And in 1986's "The Trial of a Time Lord" the Doctor visits the future
where
Earth has been devasted by a solar flare and survivors live in "Marb
station", a complex built in and beneath Marble Arch station (although
the
set for the actual remains of the station bears little resemblence to
Marble Arch).

After my time.

--
Graeme Wall

Not very realistic - as every one knows, in the future the Doctor would have
landed up in a Crossrail tunnel....

Paul

Old February 5th 06, 11:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On the subject of disused stations turning up in Dr Who, part of 'The
Dalek Invasion of Earth' from 1964 was filmed in and around the disused
Wood Lane station over the road from the BBC. The DVD release includes
a "now and then" feature which includes some of the locations which are
apparently now history themselves.