Old February 21st 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The Sponsored Tube Map

Hi,

Thought my fellow London transport afficionados might like this - it's a
mocked-up version of what the Tube Map could look like if TfL decided to
allow corporate sponsors to pay them lots of money in return for slight
tube station name-changes, e.g. Alliance & Leicester Square, Pimmslico,
BaysWaterstone's, etc.

All 326 stations have been 'sponsored' on this PDF:

http://www.digitalhome.plus.com/tube/sponsors.pdf

Took ages to do, but feedback so far's been reasonably positive so
that's some consolation for the otherwise pointless loss of several days
of my life.

Apologies if you wait for the 470KB to download and then think it's
utter rubbish.

Paul

P.S. An edited extract of a hastily sent e-mail I wrote to the Londoner
has been unexpectedly printed in this month's issue. It's about Oyster
on National Rail. I don't think the Mayor's response to me reveals
anything new though. http://www.london.gov.uk/londoner/06mar/letters.jsp

Old February 21st 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul wrote in message
:

Hi,

Thought my fellow London transport afficionados might like this -
it's a mocked-up version of what the Tube Map could look like if TfL
decided to allow corporate sponsors to pay them lots of money in
return for slight tube station name-changes, e.g. Alliance &
Leicester Square, Pimmslico, BaysWaterstone's, etc.

All 326 stations have been 'sponsored' on this PDF:

http://www.digitalhome.plus.com/tube/sponsors.pdf

Took ages to do, but feedback so far's been reasonably positive so
that's some consolation for the otherwise pointless loss of several
days of my life.

Apologies if you wait for the 470KB to download and then think it's
utter rubbish.

No it's not "utter rubbish". It's a work of genius, like the anagram tube
map that someone posted the other day.

Old February 22nd 06, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I see you couldnt find a witty name for Theydon Bois then?? )

Old February 22nd 06, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Hobbayne" wrote in message
oups.com...
I see you couldnt find a witty name for Theydon Bois then?? )

Make it larger - you'll find its Theydon Bols!

Probably the best spoof underground map yet seen, I think.

Paul

Old February 22nd 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul" wrote in message

http://www.digitalhome.plus.com/tube/sponsors.pdf

Apologies if you wait for the 470KB
to download and then think it's utter rubbish.

I have to admit I gave a resigned sigh when I read your message, but having
looked at the map I think its absolutely hilarious!

Old February 22nd 06, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:12:53 -0000, John Rowland wrote:

I have to admit I gave a resigned sigh when I read your message, but having
looked at the map I think its absolutely hilarious!

Heh

Thanks for all the kind feedback, everyone.

However, having just seen the following, I'm a bit worried about the
prospects of it staying online much longer:

| Transport for London censors anagram Tube map
|
| The hilarious remixed London Tube map that substituted anagrams
| of the station names has been censored off the Internet by lawyers
| working for Transport for London. The page now reads, "Content
| removed at the request of Healeys Solicitors acting on behalf of
| Transport for London and Transport Trading Ltd."

(From http://www.boingboing.net/2006/02/22...or_london.html)

Presumably I'll be the next one to feel the heavy hand of copyright law.

On the other hand, it might not be such a bad thing: yesterday, in the
map's first day of availability, it got 6500 hits, causing nearly 1.5GB
of bandwidth to be used. I don't know what my ISP's acceptable use
policy is for webspace, but that's surely got to be pushing it!

Paul
Old February 22nd 06, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul wrote:
Took ages to do, but feedback so far's been reasonably positive so
that's some consolation for the otherwise pointless loss of several days
of my life.

Excellent, although I think I've found a mistake - there's an 'a' at the
end of 'South WimbleDonkey Kong'
Old February 22nd 06, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Stuart wrote:
Excellent, although I think I've found a mistake - there's an 'a' at the
end of 'South WimbleDonkey Kong'

ALthough presumably that's a sequal I haven't heard of...
Old February 22nd 06, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:31:10 GMT, Stuart wrote:

Excellent, although I think I've found a mistake - there's an 'a' at the
end of 'South WimbleDonkey Kong'

ALthough presumably that's a sequal I haven't heard of...

Indeed:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/550/550723p1.html
Insofar as a game with no relation whatever to the original can be
called a sequel, that is

There were a couple of mistakes in the map when it first went up (one
unsponsored station and an unsponsored line - how I missed the latter I
don't know!), but luckily one of the first people I showed it to spotted
them so I replaced it quick! Now I *think* it's mistake-free but I
wouldn't like to swear to it since that would be like calling software
'bug-free'

Paul
Old February 23rd 06, 02:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:15:34 +1030, (Aidan Stanger)
wrote:

I notice you couldn't think of any way of improving on Canonbury.

It doesn't need improving. (Nor does Canon's Park.)