Old November 19th 03, 12:18 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default 3D Tube map

Michael Johnson wrote:
I found an interesting take on the London Underground map on the web
today. It seems someone's had a go at making a 3D version, which shows
how the various lines pass over and under each other:

http://www.recenda.f9.co.uk/pages/tubemap.htm

It's probably fair to say that this version of the map wouldn't win
top marks for accuracy - he's got the Central line serving Hammersmith
in Map 1! - but it's an interesting idea.

To be fair I think that's because he has the Central line at a much
lower depth than the H&C so although it looks like it serves Hammersmith
in Map 1, that's just a quirk of a 2D representation of a 3D file.

Maps 2 & 3 show that it's not really showing Hammersmith.

There's clearly a bit of artistic licence at work to get around the
difficult bits, and he seems to be having major problems fitting some
of the interchange stations together with the lines, but I think this
is intended as an art project more than anything else.

An interesting variation of a familiar design, anyway...

--
Michael.

I wonder whether he used actual depth information or just guessed.
Either way it's an interesting concept. It would be great if he could
supply a VRML file so we could rotate it and view it in 3D ourselves.
Then maybe the next stage could be to model the relative platform
locations and hence the station layouts in 3D... big task!

(xposted to u.t.l)
--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old November 19th 03, 05:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Dave Arquati
writes
http://www.recenda.f9.co.uk/pages/tubemap.htm

It's certainly an interesting idea.

To be fair I think that's because he has the Central line at a much
lower depth than the H&C so although it looks like it serves
Hammersmith in Map 1, that's just a quirk of a 2D representation of a
3D file.

His biggest problem is that the station "blobs" are only at "surface"
level and don't descend to the tube lines. If they did, it would be much
more clear what's going on.

I wonder whether he used actual depth information or just guessed.

He's guessed.

For example, at King's Cross the correct order is Circle, Victoria,
Piccadilly, Northern from top to bottom.

If anyone wants to try a version for themselves, you can get a good
approximation to depth information from the escalator and lift
information in CULG.

However, there are going to be problems with stations like Oxford Circus
and Baker Street where two different lines meet on the same level. I
don't see how to solve that without ruining the point of the diagram.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old November 19th 03, 06:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Dave Arquati
writes
I wonder whether he used actual depth information or just guessed.

It's incredible that trains can get up some of those gradients ;-)

Seriously, I could imagine LT using a version of this map as decorative
artwork on stations, or on one of their posters.

--
Andy Mabbett Reply to [my first name] [at] pigsonthewing.org.uk
USA imprisons children without trial, at Guantanamo Bay:
Old November 19th 03, 07:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Andy Mabbett" wrote in message

I could imagine LT using a version of this map as
decorative artwork on stations, or on one of their posters.

The obvious application would be as a spinning screensaver, sold on the LU
website and advertised on the front of the tube map. TfL would need to get
some (most?) of the money, though: he has clearly infringed their copyright.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 19th 03, 09:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

In article , Dave Arquati
writes

[...]

Render the two running lines separately?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old November 19th 03, 12:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote in message ...
Michael Johnson wrote:
I found an interesting take on the London Underground map on the web
today. It seems someone's had a go at making a 3D version, which shows
how the various lines pass over and under each other:

http://www.recenda.f9.co.uk/pages/tubemap.htm

It's probably fair to say that this version of the map wouldn't win
top marks for accuracy - he's got the Central line serving Hammersmith
in Map 1! - but it's an interesting idea.

To be fair I think that's because he has the Central line at a much
lower depth than the H&C so although it looks like it serves Hammersmith
in Map 1, that's just a quirk of a 2D representation of a 3D file.

Maps 2 & 3 show that it's not really showing Hammersmith.

The problem seems to be that in plan, the deep tube/sub-surface
interchanges are in the right place, but they're not linked to the
lines. He needs to extent the interchange circles downwards as
columns to meet the deep tubes.

There's clearly a bit of artistic licence at work to get around the
difficult bits, and he seems to be having major problems fitting some
of the interchange stations together with the lines, but I think this
is intended as an art project more than anything else.

An interesting variation of a familiar design, anyway...

I wonder whether he used actual depth information or just guessed.

Judging on the W&C, it looks like he just guesstimated so that no
lines "collided" where they shouldn't. Of course, with something like
this is would be possible to represent the Camden Town junction
properly.

Old tube map CharlesPottins London Transport 14 February 2nd 04 07:09 AM
Tube Map Kat London Transport 33 January 31st 04 10:52 PM
Large Print Tube Map John Rowland London Transport 6 January 13th 04 08:18 PM
Eastenders on the Map Was:Tube Map Jim Brown London Transport 7 January 10th 04 06:22 PM
Credit card sized tube map... Chris London Transport 17 August 10th 03 02:26 PM