Old March 8th 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london

Default What's this green thing at London City Airport?

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 15:52:58 +0000, John Wright
wrote:

I would not have said there was a standard, at least two ex-RAF
airfields that I know of have all three runways intersecting at one
point - Harwell in Oxfordshire and Dalcross near Inverness.

If there is a standard it would be three runways not six - the
original 1944 format of Heathrow was three runways later extended to
six in a star of David formation.

The usual RAF pattern was to have a 2000 yard runway roughly into the
prevailing wind, often 25/07, and two other shorter runways at about
60 degree intervals, depending on the available land and the contours.
Worksop had only two, 28/10 and 01/19 (I think) at right angles. The
short one (01/19) was only used by the Meteors in very strong winds,
or else they had to do short take-offs.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society

Old March 9th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london

Voice wrote:
The one at Stansted is an eerie find if you're just driving around &
it appears out of the woods at about 9 at night!

So if you happen to own a green aeroplane about the size of a 737 with
stubby little wings, be careful where you park it, or the firemen might
set fire to it ;-)

--
Simon Hewison
Old April 4th 06, 12:18 PM posted to uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

http://maps.google.com/?ll=51.506086...1,0.002494&t=k

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...ult/page3.html

Marcus

Old April 4th 06, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

snip

No, it alternates weekly. This week it's as you describe, next week
they'll land on 27L in the mornings and 27R in the evenings (if they are
still on westerly operations).

Full details of the pattern in every week this year are at
http://www.heathrowairport.com/asset...ation_2006.pdf

I've come to this thread a little late but I must thank you for the
link to that PDF, how interesting. I wouldn't have though BAA would
publish said information but then again there's not a lot of point
trying to keep it a secret when it can be observed so easily.

Old April 4th 06, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

snip

No, it alternates weekly. This week it's as you describe, next
week they'll land on 27L in the mornings and 27R in the evenings
(if they are still on westerly operations).

Full details of the pattern in every week this year are at
http://www.heathrowairport.com/asset...ation_2006.pdf

I've come to this thread a little late but I must thank you for the
link to that PDF, how interesting. I wouldn't have though BAA would
publish said information but then again there's not a lot of point
trying to keep it a secret when it can be observed so easily.

The information is there largely for the benefit of the residents under
the flight paths, some of whom may need to plan their lives according to
the runway alternation patterns. For example, there's a performance of
Mozart's Così fan Tutte in the garden of Chiswick House on 28 June, a
date chosen to ensure that planes would not be landing on 27R that
evening.
--
Richard J.