Old March 15th 06, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default CONGESTION CHARGE

Can I correct you on the "Even if just parked" comment.
That is actually quite misleading and something TFL have never properly
corrected. Sure, if you come into the zone and park then you would need to
pay. But if the car is parked all the time between 7am and 6.30pm then there
is NO charge. You are only charged if the vehicle is in motion in the zone
in the time. I am a resident and despite the only concession that I get a
90% discount (but having to pay for 5 days at a time which therefore
encourages me to use it more had I only wanted to use it 1 day, but that's
another story) , as long as the car is parked and not moving during the day
I don't have to pay. My local plumber tends to come in early and park up
where he will be working for the day, as long as he doesnt leave until 6.30
he's doesnt need to pay. They certainly dont come round and take notes of
all the cars that are stationery, but there are mobile cameras on vans that
photograph moving vehicles.

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message .com,
funkymonkey writes

Can someone please tell me how you actually pay for the congestion
charge? I will be visiting London soon and a friend came back from
there and says he got stung with a large fine for not paying the toll
(through his car hire company). He said he never encountered any
toll-booths or e-tag systems.

You have to pay either in advance or on the day that you travel (up to
midnight - but if you pay after 10pm there is a £2 surcharge). If you are
driving within the zone for several days, you will need to pay for each
day that the car is within the zone (even if just parked) - although note
that it operates only between 7.00a.m. and 6.30p.m., Monday to Friday (and
not on public holidays).

You can pay on the WWW (http://www.cclondon.com/), by phone, at any of the
shops, car-parks or petrol stations that display the Congestion Charge
Paypoint sign, or in various other ways listed at the above site.

There are no toll booths, tickets or tags - the number plates of all cars
in the congestion zone are photographed automatically and then compared at
the end of the day with the list of those who've paid.

Driving and parking in central London is neither cheap nor easy (even for
those like me who have lived here for more than 50 years). Given that the
capital has excellent public transport, it is well worth considering
whether you really need a car for days spent in the central area.
--
Paul Terry

Old March 15th 06, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Steve
writes

Can I correct you on the "Even if just parked" comment.

You can try, but I don't think you'll succeed.

That is actually quite misleading and something TFL have never properly
corrected. Sure, if you come into the zone and park then you would need to
pay. But if the car is parked all the time between 7am and 6.30pm then there
is NO charge. You are only charged if the vehicle is in motion in the zone
in the time.

So how does that square with the following statement on the TfL site
(notice that it is "or parked" - not "and parked")?

If you have driven or parked on a public road in the charging
zone during charging hours and haven't paid the Congestion
Charge by midnight on the day of travel, your vehicle will be
identified by the cameras and you will be sent a Penalty Charge
Notice.

I am a resident

Ah !!!

as long as the car is parked and not moving during the day
I don't have to pay.

Yes, but that's a special concession for you lucky old residents - it
doesn't apply to the rest of us! To quote TfL on residents:

If you park in a resident's parking bay in your local parking
zone, or off-street inside the charging zone, and don't move
your car during the hours of operation, you don't need to pay
the charge.

As I say, that's a resident's perk. If you are not a resident you are
liable to pay the charge if the car is parked on a public road during
the charging period, even though it hasn't moved.

--
Paul Terry
Old March 15th 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve wrote:
[...]

Can I correct your correction? The questions and answers section
clearly says that even parked cars have to pay, unless they are in a
resident's parking place or off road.

see the following long link,

https://tfl-cc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tfl_cc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=Zq7kxy2i&p_lva=&p_faqid=1727

or goto www.cclondon.com and search for parked in the questions and
answers section, the 4th answer gives the details

Old March 15th 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ok, I stand corrected, either it's been changed or I have been wrongly
informed by TFL on at least 10 occasions since the charge was introduced.
However, that now implies that as well as the cameras, there must be
someone, presumably on foot or moped who is running around taking down the
number plates of all parked vehicles just in case. And I don't think that
happens as it would not be cost effective, (not that cost effectivness seems
to make any sense with TFL)
As I see it, the cameras are at the entrance to the zones and on the mobiles
van units, (which don't record numbers unless they are parked, and therefore
only monitoring moving vehicles.) I've certainly never seen anyone taking
down numbers of cars parked on meters/pay display etc. (unless you count
trafic wardens and they certainly dont feed car reg info back to TFL)

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old March 15th 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

john doe ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

so what would happen if i was working nights on the railways and drove
into the charge zone at 00.30 on a tuesday morning, parked up in a
railway yard and drove out again at 00.30 on the weds morning?

Umm, nothing, because you haven't had the car on the road inside the CC
hours...

or came in and out at the same times but parked on a public road?

The CC would pale into nothingness compared to the parking ticket...

Old March 15th 06, 07:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:04:46 +0000 (UTC),
Steve wrote:
Ok, I stand corrected, either it's been changed or I have been wrongly
informed by TFL on at least 10 occasions since the charge was introduced.
However, that now implies that as well as the cameras, there must be
someone, presumably on foot or moped who is running around taking down the
number plates of all parked vehicles just in case. And I don't think that
happens as it would not be cost effective, (not that cost effectivness seems
to make any sense with TFL)
As I see it, the cameras are at the entrance to the zones and on the mobiles
van units, (which don't record numbers unless they are parked, and therefore
only monitoring moving vehicles.) I've certainly never seen anyone taking
down numbers of cars parked on meters/pay display etc. (unless you count
trafic wardens and they certainly dont feed car reg info back to TFL)

I have on a number of occassions seen people wearing jackets with
the C-charge logo on the back taking the numbers of cars and other
vehicles parked mainly on the forecourts of various premises in
Blackfriars Road, I dont remember how they got there, they may even
have been on scooters or mopeds.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve wrote:
[...]

Martin Smith
Old March 15th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I work in the congestion zone and regularly see congestion charge wardens
walking round taking down the reg numbers of parked cars. The wear high vis
coats so mabye confused with traffic wardens. They have the congestion
charge logo as the badge on there hats. They carry electronic ticket
machines and place fines on cars.

James

"Steve" wrote in message
Ok, I stand corrected, either it's been changed or I have been wrongly
informed by TFL on at least 10 occasions since the charge was introduced.
However, that now implies that as well as the cameras, there must be
someone, presumably on foot or moped who is running around taking down the
number plates of all parked vehicles just in case. And I don't think that
happens as it would not be cost effective, (not that cost effectivness
seems to make any sense with TFL)
As I see it, the cameras are at the entrance to the zones and on the
mobiles van units, (which don't record numbers unless they are parked, and
therefore only monitoring moving vehicles.) I've certainly never seen
anyone taking down numbers of cars parked on meters/pay display etc.
(unless you count trafic wardens and they certainly dont feed car reg info
back to TFL)

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old March 15th 06, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Why would these CC people be placing fines on the cars. How do they know
that the owner of the car
isn't going to pay before 10pm as they are allowed to do?

. uk...

"Steve" wrote in message
Ok, I stand corrected, either it's been changed or I have been wrongly
informed by TFL on at least 10 occasions since the charge was introduced.
However, that now implies that as well as the cameras, there must be
someone, presumably on foot or moped who is running around taking down
the number plates of all parked vehicles just in case. And I don't think
that happens as it would not be cost effective, (not that cost
effectivness seems to make any sense with TFL)
As I see it, the cameras are at the entrance to the zones and on the
mobiles van units, (which don't record numbers unless they are parked,
and therefore only monitoring moving vehicles.) I've certainly never seen
anyone taking down numbers of cars parked on meters/pay display etc.
(unless you count trafic wardens and they certainly dont feed car reg
info back to TFL)

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old March 15th 06, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver:
He did encounter big warning signs saying "Congestion charge 0700-0630"

I don't think so.
--
Mark Brader | "I wish to inform you now that the square peg is now
Toronto | in square whole and can be voguish for that your
Old March 15th 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark Brader ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

He did encounter big warning signs saying "Congestion charge 0700-0630"

I don't think so.

If he didn't, then he didn't enter the Kengestion zone... Or he had his
eyes closed...