Old March 22nd 06, 11:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Silverlink south of Stratford soon RIP?

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Tristán White wrote:

I guess my main disappointment is probably that I will miss seeing the
old *******s rolling into Canning Town station, and being replaced by
those more soulless blue DLRs... no one likes history, especially
something dating back from the 1870s....

Wow. I knew the 313s were old, but not *that* old.

tom

--
You have now found yourself trapped in an incomprehensible maze.

Old March 22nd 06, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

The only genuine concern that might upset some people is simply that
the interchange at Stratford is going to be somewhat convoluted. The
NLL platforms will be on the north side of the station - platforms 11
and 12 IIRC which is a fair old drag from the current NLL platforms
which will be used by DLR. I do not know if anything is to be done
to ease that interchange with lifts / escalators instead of endless
flights of stairs.

They are actually not going to use 11 and 12 now. The 'one' Stansted
services from Stratford are now using those platforms and and a planned
increase in freight activity through them has resulted in the plans being
amended and they are now going to build a new pair of platforms beyond 11
and 12 for the Richmond services. Hopefully they might then take the
opportunity to renumber the whole damned lot - getting rid of the gaps in
the sequence and giving the current 10a (which is nothing to do with
platform 10, it's the opposite face of 11 - albeit not used) a proper
platform number - these days people expect to find a platform 10a as one end
of platform 10! Of course, the Jubilee line platforms were included in the
mainline station numbering (13/14/15) and may also need to be renumbered in
that event.

Old March 23rd 06, 01:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message
Paul Corfield wrote:

The only genuine concern that might upset some people is simply that the
interchange at Stratford is going to be somewhat convoluted. The NLL
platforms will be on the north side of the station - platforms 11 and 12
IIRC which is a fair old drag from the current NLL platforms which will
be used by DLR. I do not know if anything is to be done to ease that
interchange with lifts / escalators instead of endless flights of
stairs. Hopefully this issue will be dealt with as effectively as
possible within the limited space and constraints resulting from having
to support the Great Eastern main line.

Couldn't the passenger tunnels be extended to reach them?

Alternatively, what is going to happen to the NLL track under the station
itself? If it's not being used for anything, could that be made a super
passenger tunnel? (and Stratford really does need better access between
platforms at peak hours)

I would imagine they will become part of the DLR track, so that DLR trains
can then enter the platform at full speed without fear of overruning and
crashing into brick walls or pedestrians.

Old March 23rd 06, 01:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . 145,
Tristán White wrote:

Incidentally, anyone know why the NLL is the only railway to
consistently, since the 1970s, to appear on every tube map
(notwithstanding the occasional appearence of the WAGN and sometimes the
Thameslink on more detailed tube maps?)

There was a long and vocal campaign during the 1970s to get the NLL
shown on the tube map in the first place, so once it was on there they
probably didn't dare to take it off!

Nick
--
So when is Tony Blair going to start treating *us* with respect ?
Old March 23rd 06, 07:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
John Rowland wrote:

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message

[ the DLR takes over the NLL ]
Alternatively, what is going to happen to the NLL track under the station
itself? If it's not being used for anything, could that be made a super
passenger tunnel? (and Stratford really does need better access between
platforms at peak hours)

I would imagine they will become part of the DLR track, so that DLR trains
can then enter the platform at full speed without fear of overruning and
crashing into brick walls or pedestrians.

I would imagine they will become part of the DLR track going to Stratford
International. (I thought that Stratford Domestic is not planned
to be the DLR terminus)

--
"Get your head out of there or I'll fart"
-- things you don't want to hear in bed, #12

Old March 23rd 06, 09:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 Tristán White wrote:

Incidentally, anyone know why the NLL is the only railway to
consistently, since the 1970s, to appear on every tube map
(notwithstanding the occasional appearence of the WAGN and sometimes the
Thameslink on more detailed tube maps?)

Because, being wholly within London, little-known and under-used, there
was a campaign in the 1960s to get it put on the map.

Incidentally, I remember in the great freeze in 1963, living in Richmond
and working in Acton, the tube was hell, running infrequently and very
irregularly and extremely crowded. The NLL to Acton Central ran
reliably and regularly, albeit twenty minutes behind the scheduled
times, and was half empty.
--
Thoss

[To reply, replace * with . in Reply-To address]
Old March 23rd 06, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mike Bristow" wrote in message
In article ,
John Rowland wrote:

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message

[ the DLR takes over the NLL ]
Alternatively, what is going to happen to the
NLL track under the station itself?

I would imagine they will become part of the DLR track,
so that DLR trains can then enter the platform at full speed
without fear of overruning and
crashing into brick walls or pedestrians.

I would imagine they will become part of the
DLR track going to Stratford International.

bangs head on rather nice slice of rye and ginger bread

Old March 23rd 06, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message

[ the DLR takes over the NLL ]
Alternatively, what is going to happen to the
NLL track under the station itself?

I would imagine they will become part of the DLR track,
so that DLR trains can then enter the platform at full speed
without fear of overruning and
crashing into brick walls or pedestrians.

I would imagine they will become part of the
DLR track going to Stratford International.

bangs head on rather nice slice of rye and ginger bread

Why, does it contain the seeds of the problem ? Or perhaps a grain of
truth ?

Nick
--
So when is Tony Blair going to start treating *us* with respect ?
Old March 23rd 06, 10:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nick Leverton" wrote in message
In article ,
John Rowland wrote:

bangs head on rather nice slice of rye and ginger bread

Why, does it contain the seeds of the problem ?
Or perhaps a grain of truth ?

What, no "root" references?

Old March 23rd 06, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

thoss wrote:

The NLL to Acton Central ran
reliably and regularly, albeit twenty minutes behind the scheduled
times

Some things never change...

and was half empty.

....although some do.