Old March 23rd 06, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Silverlink south of Stratford soon RIP?

Tristán White wrote:
(snip)
Actually - just to clear something up - you (Dave) wrote

and passengers from Custom
House, Silvertown and North Woolwich will need to change twice (by
taking the DLR from the nearest equivalent station to Canning Town,
and then Jubilee to Stratford).

Yes, that was in reference to the construction period (2006-2010).
Although the changes are irritating, the service will at least be
frequent - there should be a train every 4 minutes from King George V to
Canning Town, with trains every 3 minutes or less on the Jubilee from there.

but then

Well, if we're talking about North Woolwich, then they will have a DLR
direct to Stratford every 10 minutes followed by a Silverlink every 15
minutes, compared to a direct Silverlink every 30 minutes.

but if what you are saying in the earlier paragraph is true, then in
fact North Woolwich won't have a direct connection to Stratford as they
do now (albeit one every 30 minutes, but if you time it right you're
OK), they will surely have to change in Canning Town for either the
other branch of the the DLR via Star Lane, Abbey Road, etc., or they
will have to take the Jubilee to Stratford.

Only during construction - once the new DLR branch is open, there will
be direct trains about every 12 minutes from Woolwich Arsenal to
Stratford International.

At the risk of self-promotion, have a look at:
http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/45

It's still two changes to go
to Camden Road, Hackney Wick or wherever, as opposed to zero changes at
the moment. I'm not convinced that even with a more frequent service, a
passenger will get to Camden Road or Hackney Wick from George V faster
than they currently would from North Woolwich and a copy of the
Silverlink timetable in their pocket..... More line changes means more
possibilities of things going wrong, connections being missed, or
problems on the various lines.

The DLR is 99.something% reliable, so problems are highly unlikely. The
NLL is a bit hit-and-miss but improvements are certainly in the works.
Eventually the frequency will be every 12 minutes on the DLR and every
7-8 minutes on the NLL, so even the maximum possible combined wait of 20
minutes would be better than the maximum 30 minute wait on the existing
NLL. As for more changes meaning more things to go wrong... given the
very small likelihood of the DLR going wrong, it's not really any
different to now.

I guess my main disappointment is probably that I will miss seeing the
old *******s rolling into Canning Town station, and being replaced by
those more soulless blue DLRs... no one likes history, especially
something dating back from the 1870s....

Hmm... I think I'd rather get on a pleasant DLR train than the shabby
tins that pass for trains on the NLL at the moment. Each to his own!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7