Old March 24th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Anti-bike signs on Bendibuses

Some Bendibuses (including some or all on routes 29 and 73) have a
yellow triangle sign on the rear with a black bicycle with an X across it.

a) What is it supposed to mean?

b) Why this anti-bike attitude from TfL?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old March 24th 06, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote in
:

In article ,
(Martin Underwood) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote in
:

Some Bendibuses (including some or all on routes 29 and 73) have a
yellow triangle sign on the rear with a black bicycle with an X
across it.

a) What is it supposed to mean?

b) Why this anti-bike attitude from TfL?

Could it be a "don't overtake this vehicle on the left when it's
turning left" sign? I've seen this on various large vehicles such as
dustbin lorries, concrete mixers and HGVs: as I was waiting behind a
concrete mixer this very morning I saw one of these signs. And very
sensible too: anyone on a bike who overtakes on the left a car/lorry
that has indicated that it is turning left wants their head looking
at.

It doesn't say anything about turning. However, if it's stopped at a
bus stop you're stuffed either way. Because they are so long you
can't pass either side in the time it is stopped.

However, any vehicle that can't see if it safe to turn left without
injuring someone on its nearside should be banned from the roads. If
it was a railway vehicle it would be as unsafe. Two Cambridge
cyclists have been killed in the last year because of such unsafe
vehicles.

The cyclist shouldn't *be* on the nearside of the vehicle when it is
indicating to turn left. As a car driver I usually pull close to the kerb
when I'm turning left if I've just overtaken a cyclist, so as to block him
making this dangerous manouvre; as a cyclist I never overtake anything on
the driver's blind side!

Old March 24th 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Martin Underwood) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote in
:

In article ,
(Martin Underwood) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote in
:

[...]

Other way round IME. The vehicle turning left should not overtake the
cyclist to do so. Worse, they can't even see what they are doing. Any
vehicle like that should not be allowed on the roads.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old March 25th 06, 12:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Martin Underwood) wrote:

The cyclist shouldn't *be* on the nearside of the vehicle when it
is indicating to turn left. As a car driver I usually pull close
to the kerb when I'm turning left if I've just overtaken a
cyclist, so as to block him making this dangerous manouvre; as a
cyclist I never overtake anything on the driver's blind side!

Other way round IME. The vehicle turning left should not overtake
the cyclist to do so.

Yes, that's Highway Code rule 158.

Worse, they can't even see what they are doing. Any vehicle like
that should not be allowed on the roads.

I assume you mean that once the driver starts a turn, he can't see
all of the vehicle in his mirrors. In what way is a bendy bus
different from an articulated lorry in that regard, or would you
ban all of them too?

Like railway practices and designs found to be dangerous I would
require changes to overcome the safety defects. Most railway lines
had to be fitted with TPWS to prevent SPADs and bufferstop
collisions and all the Mark I rolling stock had to be withdrawn
from service within quite a short time because it wasn't
crashworthy enough, for example.

I wasn't aware that articulated lorries had been "found to be
dangerous". Do you have any accident statistics to support this?
--
Richard J.

Old March 25th 06, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Martin Underwood) wrote:

[...]

Two Cambridge accidents in the last few months in which cyclists were
killed by drivers who claim not to have seen them on their nearsides.
The lorries were turning left, one on a roundabout at Addenbrooke's
Hospital, the other at a T junction off a main road with a cycle lane on
the nearside.

There is no question in my mind that both drivers should have seen the
cyclists and if they couldn't then their vehicles were defective and
should not be allowed on the roads nor should similar vehicles unless
modified.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old March 25th 06, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

However, any vehicle that can't see if it safe to turn left without
injuring someone on its nearside should be banned from the roads. If it
was a railway vehicle it would be as unsafe. Two Cambridge cyclists have
been killed in the last year because of such unsafe vehicles.

It's quite straightforward. The vehicle isn't to blame. One of the road
users is.

If the bus started to overtake the cyclist then turned left, the bus driver
is to blame.
If the cyclists started to undertake the bus about to turn left, the
cyclists are to blame.