Old March 25th 06, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kings Cross Shut - Thursday

Oh what a morning Thursday was.

WAGN had the usual electrical problems at Moorgate so we got diverted to
Kings Cross.

Then after getting on the Circle Line platform the infamous "Emergency
clear the station" announcement went off. Why? Several staff said in
all honesty it was because the station was too busy ?!!

Now I know there are risks associated with full platforms, but they
can't be as bad as shoving hundreds of bewildered tourists & commuters
out onto the Marylebone road :-) Whoever cooked this idea up should
see the misery of lost tourists with suitcases and mothers with young
children.

Can I make a plea that London Transport trust the public to behave
sensibly on full platforms and please shut stations as a last resort ?!

--
Edward Cowling London UK

Old March 25th 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com, Paul
Weaver writes
Then after getting on the Circle Line platform the infamous
"Emergency clear the station" announcement went off. Why?
Several staff said in all honesty it was because the station was
too busy ?!!

Boy who cried wolf?

Well of course no one believes the announcements because they're often
used because the system "Is a victim of it's own success." :-)

So no doubt one day while we're all standing there and cursing yet
another pointless clearance of the station..... we'll all get blown to
bits.

Plus although it's below the belt it has to be said. If Brixton station
wasn't often closed for no good reason that Brazilian guy would have got
on the train he wanted and still be alive today.

As I say....... last possible resort guys !!

--
Edward Cowling London UK
Old March 26th 06, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Now I know there are risks associated with full platforms,
but they can't be as bad as shoving hundreds of bewildered
tourists & commuters out onto the Marylebone road :-)

Euston Road is an area from which people can easily escape if they
begin to get crushed (either into Kings Cross mainline, either way
along the road or into a side street). On the deep-level tube platforms
this is not the case -- if the number of people down there isn't
regulated then it could easily lead to someone falling or being
accidentally pushed onto the tracks.

Whoever cooked this idea up should see the misery of lost
tourists with suitcases and mothers with young children.

What's worse -- the 'misery' of being lost (and only lost until you ask
a member of staff for directions, at that) or the misery of seeing that
young child go under a train?

Can I make a plea that London Transport trust the public
to behave sensibly on full platforms and please shut
stations as a last resort ?!

London Underground can't trust people to behave sensibly on full or
busy platforms because people prove every working day that they can't
be trusted to do it. I'm sure we've all seen people refuse to pass down
the platform, block entrances and exits in large groups and do other
things to endanger safety. I doubt I am the only one who is amazed by
the people who, upon seeing that a station is closed for an emergency
try to argue their way past the staff and into the station so that they
can continue their journey.

Can I make a plea to members of the public to trust London Underground
to use their experience to keep people safe, even if they sometimes err
on the side of caution and sometimes you can't understand why they are
doing what they are doing?

Pete

Old March 26th 06, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Mar 2006 02:21:29 -0800, wrote:

Whoever cooked this idea up should see the misery of lost
tourists with suitcases and mothers with young children.

What's worse -- the 'misery' of being lost (and only lost until you ask
a member of staff for directions, at that) or the misery of seeing that
young child go under a train?

What is the point of asking staff for directions? All they canl say
is, effectively 'go away', ie off the station, so you are no longer
our responsibility.

Can I make a plea that London Transport trust the public
to behave sensibly on full platforms and please shut
stations as a last resort ?!

London Underground can't trust people to behave sensibly on full or
busy platforms because people prove every working day that they can't
be trusted to do it. I'm sure we've all seen people refuse to pass down
the platform, block entrances and exits in large groups and do other
things to endanger safety. I doubt I am the only one who is amazed by
the people who, upon seeing that a station is closed for an emergency
try to argue their way past the staff and into the station so that they
can continue their journey.

That was not the subject if complaint. The point is that a platform
approaching congestion is not of itself a reason for emergency
clearance. Further entry should be blocked but there is not an
imminent emergency which requires evacuation.

Can I make a plea to members of the public to trust London Underground
to use their experience to keep people safe, even if they sometimes err
on the side of caution and sometimes you can't understand why they are
doing what they are doing?

Yes, provided we can trust them to distinguish between a crowd and a
real emergency.
--
Peter Lawrence
Old March 26th 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I remember a while ago getting a train into Waterloo mainline station
and the undergroung was shut due to over crowding, so they got everyone
to walk to Embankment which then was over crowded, although left open.

Old March 27th 06, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Now I know there are risks associated with full platforms,
but they can't be as bad as shoving hundreds of bewildered
tourists & commuters out onto the Marylebone road :-)

Euston Road is an area from which people can easily escape if they
begin to get crushed (either into Kings Cross mainline, either way
along the road or into a side street). On the deep-level tube platforms
this is not the case -- if the number of people down there isn't
regulated then it could easily lead to someone falling or being
accidentally pushed onto the tracks.

It was the Circle line platforms that were being talked about.

Can I make a plea that London Transport trust the public
to behave sensibly on full platforms and please shut
stations as a last resort ?!

London Underground can't trust people to behave sensibly on full or
busy platforms because people prove every working day that they can't
be trusted to do it.

Two of my past commutes involved a) travelling east from Victoria to
the City at around 0830; b) travelling north from Victoria to Oxford
Circus at around 0800. In both cases the platforms were usually loaded
around 3 people deep, the full length of the platform. It's a toss-up
as to which were more busy; I'd say the Vic slightly edged it. It was a
frequent event (more than half the time) for access to the station and
again to the Vic platforms to be controlled by the simple expedient of
closing the station gates / the ticket gatelines. I can't recall a
single time when the station was evacuated during the morning peak.

Which would seem to suggest that LU *can* and *do* trust people to
behave sensibly on full platforms - at least the LU staff at Victoria,
that is - because people - at least, 'Victoria' people - prove every
working day that they can be so trusted.

LU customer-facing staff have my full support, but IF station emergency
evacuation procedures are being used to manage people numbers then
something is definitely wrong...

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please