Old April 20th 06, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What is the longest route in LONDON.... Monday - Friday ?

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 11:59:34 on Wed, 19 Apr
2006, TKD remarked:

The longest Tube journey is on the Central Line, West Ruislip to
Epping, at 54.9 km (34.1 miles).

Although 11km or so are not in London but in the Epping Forest district
of Essex.

When this newsgroup was set up we discussed at great length what the
definition of "London" was. I'm pretty sure we decided that it included
inside the M25 plus all outposts of LUL.

Does that mean we're not allowed to discuss the London Regional Rail
Authority?

Incidentally, can anyone find a copy of the proposed LRRA boundary map?
It's disappeared from TfL's site.

tom

--
I'm angry, but not Milk and Cheese angry. -- Mike Froggatt

Old April 20th 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Bristow wrote:

The longest Tube journey is on the Central Line, West Ruislip to
Epping, at 54.9 km (34.1 miles).

Can't you do Cockfosters - Cockfosters via the Heathrow loop that would
be
longer?

If you're lucky you can probably do somewhere-in-west-london and
back again on the central line via it's loop - or do they turf
passengers out of those trains?

I can't actually recall seeing services advertised on the indicators as
running through to Hainault-Woodford (other than on days when part of the
loop is out of service and the rest is being treated as a standard branch
from Woodford) and the last time I was at Hainault the train terminated and
a different one came in for Woodford.

Old April 20th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Mike Bristow wrote:

The longest Tube journey is on the Central Line, West Ruislip to
Epping, at 54.9 km (34.1 miles).

Can't you do Cockfosters - Cockfosters via the Heathrow loop that would
be
longer?

If you're lucky you can probably do somewhere-in-west-london and
back again on the central line via it's loop - or do they turf
passengers out of those trains?

I can't actually recall seeing services advertised on the indicators as
running through to Hainault-Woodford (other than on days when part of the
loop is out of service and the rest is being treated as a standard branch
from Woodford) and the last time I was at Hainault the train terminated and
a different one came in for Woodford.

At the moment there are weekend engineering works somewhere around
Redbridge which close part of the loop in one direction at a time, so
trains have been running to Woodford via Newbury Park (and presumably
therefore back to London via Snaresbrook, because they can't go the
other way around the loop).

When the work switches to the inner rail, I imagine trains will travel
to Hainault via Woodford and thence straight back to London via Newbury
Park.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old April 20th 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Mike Bristow wrote:
If you're lucky you can probably do somewhere-in-west-london and
back again on the central line via it's loop - or do they turf
passengers out of those trains?

I can't actually recall seeing services advertised on the indicators as
running through to Hainault-Woodford

I've seen services going through Leytstone as on the boards as
Woodford via Hainault. I think there's a 3 or 4 TPH service doing
that route. But I don't know if those trains turn into city-bound
trains at some point on the loop, or if they terminate at Woodford.

--
I don't play The Game - it's for five-year-olds with delusions of adulthood.
Old April 20th 06, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:49:53 on Thu,
20 Apr 2006, TKD remarked:
When this newsgroup was set up we discussed at great length what the
definition of "London" was. I'm pretty sure we decided that it included
inside the M25 plus all outposts of LUL.

I very much doubt the OP was using that definition.

Well, this is uk.transport.LONDON, and we have this definition of
"London"...

Old April 20th 06, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
19:25:28 on Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Tom Anderson
remarked:
When this newsgroup was set up we discussed at great length what the
definition of "London" was. I'm pretty sure we decided that it
included inside the M25 plus all outposts of LUL.

Does that mean we're not allowed to discuss the London Regional Rail
Authority?

Maybe you could get a consensus to change the definition. When the
newsgroup was set up, it seemed important to include more than just the
administrative London, or more than just the "020" phone area, and even
more than "inside the M25". But you do have to stop somewhere.
Old April 20th 06, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Andy wrote:
The longest Tube journey is on the Central Line, West Ruislip to
Epping, at 54.9 km (34.1 miles).

Can't you do Cockfosters - Cockfosters via the Heathrow loop that
would be longer?

If you're lucky you can probably do somewhere-in-west-london and
back again on the central line via it's loop - or do they turf
passengers out of those trains?

But it would still be shorter than the Hammersmith-Barking route that I
posted in this thread on 18 April, which involves 20 laps of the Circle
Line.
--
Richard J.

Old April 20th 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Bristow wrote:

I can't actually recall seeing services advertised on the indicators as
running through to Hainault-Woodford

I've seen services going through Leytstone as on the boards as
Woodford via Hainault. I think there's a 3 or 4 TPH service doing
that route. But I don't know if those trains turn into city-bound
trains at some point on the loop, or if they terminate at Woodford.

Wouldn't a once round the loop service potentially cause Circle Line style
chaos on the line, being so long and potential to delaying other routes?

Old April 21st 06, 08:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
02:10:00 on Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
Maybe you could get a consensus to change the definition. When the
newsgroup was set up, it seemed important to include more than just
the administrative London, or more than just the "020" phone area,
and even more than "inside the M25". But you do have to stop
somewhere.

Not Nottingham or Cambridge then? ;-)

Nope. There's a charter here [1] which stops a long way from either.
Although journeys with one end in London seem to qualify (eg Gatwick to
Richmond).

[1] Usenet not train.