Old April 22nd 06, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Gatwick to Richmond

Larry Lard wrote:

Take the District Line to Earls Court (e/b platform) and
use the new MIP lifts

Google tells me that's a 'mobility impaired person' lift (to save
anyone else looking), but I can't make it tell me how that's different
from any other lift ? Does it just mean that there's stairs as well, so
in theory only MIPs use the lift?

There's a lift at at least one end of the station that can get you from the
ticket hall to the District Line platforms downstairs. I presume it means
the lift is encouraged only for MIPs rather than as the main route down
(which would be silly at such a short distance). Presumably the deep level
ones are similar, though I always thought these were meant for standard use.

Old April 22nd 06, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Apr 2006 05:24:57 -0700, "Larry Lard"
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
Take the District Line to Earls Court (e/b platform) and
use the new MIP lifts

Google tells me that's a 'mobility impaired person' lift (to save
anyone else looking), but I can't make it tell me how that's different
from any other lift ? Does it just mean that there's stairs as well, so
in theory only MIPs use the lift?

Yes there are stairs at Earls Court as well as the original high
capacity lifts from the Earls Ct Rd entrance down to the Piccadilly
Line.

The priority use of MIP Lifts is for people who are mobility impaired
but that covers a wide range of people. There is nothing to prevent a
mum with a buggy using them in the just the same way as someone in a
wheelchair could. The OP accompanying someone not so steady on their
feet and with luggage easily falls within scope of these lifts too.

There is a wide spread of usage of the MIP lifts on the Jubilee Line
Extension and of the one recently installed at Kilburn.
--
Paul C