Old April 21st 06, 03:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Gatwick to Richmond

Will be traveling from Gatwick to Richmond with a friend who has some
health issues. We will have a bit of luggage. When using the Journey
Planner the route was Gatwick Clapham Junction Richmond. It looks like
stairs may be an issue at Clapham Junction. Would it be better to take
the train to Victoria and then the Underground to Richmond. Would stairs
come into play with the itinerary?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Carole

Old April 21st 06, 05:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Carole" wrote in message
. ..
Will be traveling from Gatwick to Richmond with a friend who has some
health issues. We will have a bit of luggage. When using the Journey
Planner the route was Gatwick Clapham Junction Richmond. It looks like
stairs may be an issue at Clapham Junction. Would it be better to take the
train to Victoria and then the Underground to Richmond. Would stairs come
into play with the itinerary?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Carole

Use the "more search options" feature on the journey planner and specify
that you require no stairs under the mobility requirements. An alternative
shown is getting off at London Bridge, taking the Jubilee line to Waterloo,
then taking a mainline train direct to Richmond. That involves escalators
rather than stairs.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Old April 21st 06, 06:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:21:12 -0400, Carole wrote:

Will be traveling from Gatwick to Richmond with a friend who has some
health issues. We will have a bit of luggage. When using the Journey
Planner the route was Gatwick Clapham Junction Richmond. It looks like
stairs may be an issue at Clapham Junction. Would it be better to take
the train to Victoria and then the Underground to Richmond. Would stairs
come into play with the itinerary?

They would, but it would be less up-and-down than going via Clapham
Junction: you would need to take stairs down from the national rail
station to the District Line at Victoria

Martin
Old April 21st 06, 08:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
15:48:08 on Fri, 21 Apr 2006, David Bennetts
remarked:
Will be traveling from Gatwick to Richmond with a friend who has some
health issues. We will have a bit of luggage. When using the Journey
Planner the route was Gatwick Clapham Junction Richmond. It looks like
stairs may be an issue at Clapham Junction. Would it be better to take the
train to Victoria and then the Underground to Richmond. Would stairs come
into play with the itinerary?

Yes, at least two flights. It's quite a distance from the mainline
platforms to the District Line, too.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Carole

Use the "more search options" feature on the journey planner and specify
that you require no stairs under the mobility requirements. An alternative
shown is getting off at London Bridge, taking the Jubilee line to Waterloo,
then taking a mainline train direct to Richmond. That involves escalators
rather than stairs.

There might be no stairs involved in a change at London Bridge, but
there's a lot of walking. Similarly at the Waterloo end.

I'd suggest a change at London Bridge for Waterloo East, then walk to
Waterloo; which is equally "no stairs", but a little easier.

For the shortest walking distance, but with a few stairs and a short
escalator, I'd suggest changing to the District at Blackfriars.
Old April 21st 06, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Use the "more search options" feature on the journey planner and specify
that you require no stairs under the mobility requirements. An
alternative shown is getting off at London Bridge, taking the Jubilee line
to Waterloo, then taking a mainline train direct to Richmond. That
involves escalators rather than stairs.

At London Bridge, stay on the same platform and get the next train to
Waterloo East.
Waterloo East has a ramp up from the platforms, a level footbridge, and then
an
escalator or lift down to the main concourse. No stairs at all.

--
Peter.

Old April 21st 06, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Goodland wrote:

At London Bridge, stay on the same platform and get the next train to

Waterloo East.

That applies ONLY if you take a First Capital Connect (formerly Thameslink)
service. If you take a Southern service from Gatwick you will end up in the
bay platforms - however, it's still a level transfer via the barrier line
and the subway (which is ramped) to platform 6, where the Waterloo
East/Charing Cross services leave from.

Old April 21st 06, 09:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

It's probably not a permitted route, but a totally sure step-free way
(it involves walking across a level crossing!) would be to take the
xx03 Reading train from Gatwick to Wokingham (journey time 66 mins),
then change for the xx26 Waterloo train from Wokingham to Richmond
(journey time 49 mins).

Actually, I've just checked, and it is indeed not a permitted route -
so you'd either need two tickets or to feign ignorance to the FGW
guard.

James

Old April 21st 06, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:21:12 -0400, Carole wrote:

Will be traveling from Gatwick to Richmond with a friend who has some
health issues. We will have a bit of luggage. When using the Journey
Planner the route was Gatwick Clapham Junction Richmond. It looks like
stairs may be an issue at Clapham Junction. Would it be better to take
the train to Victoria and then the Underground to Richmond. Would stairs
come into play with the itinerary?
Thanks for any suggestions.

This is a slightly long winded way of making the trip but without
stairs.

Take the Southern Railway service from Gatwick to Kensington Olympia.
This is a level interchange as the train / tube platforms are adjacent
to each other. Take the District Line to Earls Court (e/b platform) and
use the new MIP lifts to swap between platforms and catch a Richmond
bound tube train from the w/b platform.

Alternatively take the Southern train to Olympia and get off but wait on
the same platform, then catch the local Silverlink train onwards to
Willesden Junction. Cross the island platform at Willesden Junction and
then catch the North London Line direct to Richmond.

While these routes allow a level transfer or use of lifts they are a
long way round for a short cut.

The route via Clapham Junction is undoubtedly quicker and I would simply
make contact with Southern Trains and South West Trains to ask for their
assistance at Gatwick, Clapham and Richmond. There are procedures, staff
and equipment in place to provide the required assistance.
--
Paul C

Old April 22nd 06, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
Take the District Line to Earls Court (e/b platform) and
use the new MIP lifts

Google tells me that's a 'mobility impaired person' lift (to save
anyone else looking), but I can't make it tell me how that's different
from any other lift ? Does it just mean that there's stairs as well, so
in theory only MIPs use the lift?

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please