Old April 29th 06, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Ian Ian is offline

Default New camera scam

"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:
In ,
Nick Finnigan said:

Chris! wrote:

John Rowland wrote:

The City Of London Police have announced that they will prosecute
not only drivers who go through the final stop line when the
traffic light is reds, but also drivers who go through the initial
stop line before the cycle box.

About time too. I can only recall two occasions on my daily cycle
commute when there haven't been cars in the cycle box.

On a busy road, that is legal and expected.

Why?

Walter has posted HC rule 154 which shows it is legal.
If vehicles are close together, one will generally have proceeded over the
first white line at the time the signal turns red.

Only if the driver ignores the meaning of an amber traffic light.

Ian

Old April 28th 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Ian Ian is offline

"Chris!" wrote in message

John Rowland wrote:
The City Of London Police have announced that they will prosecute not
only
drivers who go through the final stop line when the traffic light is
reds,
but also drivers who go through the initial stop line before the cycle
box.

About time too. I can only recall two occasions on my daily cycle
commute when there haven't been cars in the cycle box. The rule about
not enroaching the cycle box has been in the highway code for some
years now but is being blatently ignored.

The rule about cyclists obeying traffic lights has been in the Highway Code
even longer, but it is more often than not ignored. I just watched a
recording of a debate this week in the House of Lords on the subject of
cyclists ignoring traffic law. It sounds like something is going to be done
this soon. About time too.

Apparently one member of the House of Lords nearly died a few years ago
after being hit by a dangerously ridden cycle outside the House. Helps
concentrate their minds.

Ian

Old April 30th 06, 12:33 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Ian wrote:
The rule about cyclists obeying traffic lights has been in the Highway Code
even longer, but it is more often than not ignored. I just watched a
recording of a debate this week in the House of Lords on the subject of
cyclists ignoring traffic law. It sounds like something is going to be done
this soon. About time too.

Definitely. We see a lot of jokes on here about people wanting to kill
cyclists that jump lights, but I see pedestrians shouting at, punching
and even pushing cyclists (one or two have fallen off as a result) at a
single crossing - the one that featured on London Tonight not so long
ago, as it happens.

Cyclists are a menace, at least in London, where 80% or more are
flouting the law - even if there is a police officer (or, as ITV
proved, a camera) looking right at them.

As someone who cyclists only occasionally, the quicker these idiots
(and they've multiplied since the congestion charge and sky high
fuel/transport costs) are dealt with the better for all of us.
Especially when I'm nearly hit on the same crossing about two or three
times a month.

When it comes to road junctions, and they're up against a car, taxi,
bus or lorry, I have less concern. If they want to willingly kill
themselves then that is up to them. I just hope the driver isn't
charged and is suitably compensated for the damage, and cleaning, of
their vehicle.

Jonathan

Old April 30th 06, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On 29 Apr 2006 17:33:07 -0700, "Jonathan Morris"
wrote:

Definitely. We see a lot of jokes on here about people wanting to kill
cyclists that jump lights, but I see pedestrians shouting at, punching
and even pushing cyclists (one or two have fallen off as a result) at a
single crossing - the one that featured on London Tonight not so long
ago, as it happens.

Some little scrote decided to try to push me off my bike as I waited
at a red light in Farnham yesterday. He obviously didn't expect me to
grab him, jump off, and express my general disapproval of that sort of
behaviour. He begged me not to damage his new t-shirt, but, sadly, it
seemed to get torn...

His mates across the road got a good laugh at him though :-)

(yoof of today, not very bright, etc etc - when I were a lad in Hull,
the people who used to try to knock cyclists off their bikes always
had the sense to do it in large groups, just in case the cyclist
fought back)
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old April 30th 06, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote:
Some little scrote decided to try to push me off my bike as I waited
at a red light in Farnham yesterday. He obviously didn't expect me to
grab him, jump off, and express my general disapproval of that sort of
behaviour.

Sounds like he wasn't the brightest lad in the world, but that missing
my point a bit. The people I see 'attacking' cyclists (verbally or
physically) are only doing it because they're going through red lights
on a pedestrian crossing.

Old May 2nd 06, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Jonathan Morris wrote:
Ian wrote:
[...]

And how about the pedestrians that just jump out into the road in front
of cyclists, regardless of the colour of the light or even when there
is no light at all. Or leap out at the junction the moment the signal
turns amber.

Remember that a cyclist will often take longer to cross a junction, so
may well have started to cross on a green signal but not complete yet
when the signal is red, particularly if the junction is on a hill.

And a cyclist who has sweated away to build up the momentum to reach a
traffic light is unlikely to do an emergency stop as the signal turns
amber right in his face. (And remember the cyclist is MUCH closer to
the junction at this time).

Old May 2nd 06, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Earl Purple wrote:
And how about the pedestrians that just jump out into the road in front
of cyclists, regardless of the colour of the light or even when there
is no light at all. Or leap out at the junction the moment the signal
turns amber.

And what about them? I'm only talking about the MAJORITY of cyclists
that weave through, or simply fly through at high speed, red lights at
crossings and junctions.

Of course we can have a separate argument about idiotic pedestrians,
but I can't see how two wrongs would make a right. It is of course the
sad fact that a pedestrian still has right of way, but my belief is
that they're fair game if they wander into a busy road without looking.

Remember that a cyclist will often take longer to cross a junction, so
may well have started to cross on a green signal but not complete yet
when the signal is red, particularly if the junction is on a hill.

Yes, but that doesn't apply to the crossing on the Clerkenwell Road
where they're on a flat open road and simply ignore the lights
altogether. They only stop when crossing Farringdon Road if they can
see a car or bus about to hit them. They also turn left/right without
permission and, again, cut pedestrians up who aren't expecting them to
go against the 'no xx turn' markings.

Still, some cyclists take heed of the signs and simply use the pavement
instead.

And a cyclist who has sweated away to build up the momentum to reach a
traffic light is unlikely to do an emergency stop as the signal turns
amber right in his face. (And remember the cyclist is MUCH closer to
the junction at this time).

When I read that, I suddenly feel compelled to feel sorry for all the
people that nearly hit me, and DO hit others on an almost daily basis.
Then I realise that your examples don't apply in these situations!

Please bear in mind that I understand what you're saying, and cycle
myself, but unlike you I feel no desire to defend the actions of these
idiots that, sadly, in London make up the majority.

Jonathan

Old May 12th 06, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In message om, Earl
Purple writes
Remember that a cyclist will often take longer to cross a junction, so
may well have started to cross on a green signal but not complete yet
when the signal is red, particularly if the junction is on a hill.

And a cyclist who has sweated away to build up the momentum to reach a
traffic light is unlikely to do an emergency stop as the signal turns
amber right in his face. (And remember the cyclist is MUCH closer to
the junction at this time).

Not all, but most cyclists are ignorant pigs who think they can get away
with murder. Whether sweating or no to get to a junction, a red light
is a red light and means stop. Ban every cyclist that breaks the law,
they don't pay anything towards the road network and just complain about
the cycle tracks that have been constructed for their use.
--
Clive
Old April 28th 06, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article , John Rowland
writes
The City Of London Police have announced that they will prosecute not only
drivers who go through the final stop line when the traffic light is reds,
but also drivers who go through the initial stop line before the cycle box.

Good.

This makes it noticeably harder to stop legally during the amber phase.

If it makes it noticeably harder for you, then you need to go and get
some more driving lessons.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old April 29th 06, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:51:48 +0100, John Rowland wrote:

The City Of London Police have announced that they will prosecute not only
drivers who go through the final stop line when the traffic light is reds,
but also drivers who go through the initial stop line before the cycle
box. This makes it noticeably harder to stop legally during the amber
phase.

If driving is too hard for you then don't.

TfL's latest scam - charging twice for a bus journey Steve London Transport 7 October 15th 13 03:13 PM
Nice oyster scam [email protected] London Transport 19 June 19th 08 05:31 PM
Ticket scam Nicks London Transport 34 March 16th 07 12:00 AM
Suspected Scam Oyster on Buses [email protected] London Transport 21 September 19th 06 10:37 AM
petrol scam IOOA London Transport 3 September 13th 03 01:27 PM