Old May 14th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default PAYG and Ken on news

On Sun, 14 May 2006 20:51:40 +0100, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:

In some of these cases, the CDR remains cheaper even if one or both of
the outward/return journeys are during evenings/weekends when the PAYG
fares are discounted.

"No need to plan"?!

The whole thing gets messier and messier. Trying to explain to students
whether they benefit more from the TfL season discount or buying daily with
a YPR gets even more messy.

Perhaps, but I'd hate to see the solution (if one is really needed)
being to simply withdraw all the CDRs and stop giving Railcard
discounts.

(It really irritates me when a company passes off a price increase as
"making our charges easier to understand" or some such.)

Old May 15th 06, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 May 2006 05:43:48 -0700, "John B" wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 13 May 2006 16:49:00 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

[payg on Thameslink]

If forced to do it again, I'd take a copy of the TfL fares leaflet as
proof that I wasn't a fare-dodger.

Or I would simply threaten the staff with a report to Charles Horton,
their new MD, and Keith Ludeman the Go Ahead Board Member for rail. The
only way these nonsenses get sorted is if the person at the top is told
what is not working.

Go-Ahead here because the gateline at London Bridge is manned by
Southern staff?

Mr Horton is now MD of South East Trains which transferred to GoVia
control on 1 April 2006.
--
Paul C

Old May 15th 06, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 13 May 2006 16:49:00 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

[payg on Thameslink]

If forced to do it again, I'd take a copy of the TfL fares leaflet as
proof that I wasn't a fare-dodger.

Or I would simply threaten the staff with a report to Charles Horton,
their new MD, and Keith Ludeman the Go Ahead Board Member for rail. The
only way these nonsenses get sorted is if the person at the top is told
what is not working.

I'd rather have evidence to prove them wrong quickly, than get into a
confrontation every time I want to use the station.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 15th 06, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
[payg on Thameslink]

If forced to do it again, I'd take a copy of the TfL fares leaflet as
proof that I wasn't a fare-dodger.

Or I would simply threaten the staff with a report to Charles Horton,
their new MD, and Keith Ludeman the Go Ahead Board Member for rail. The
only way these nonsenses get sorted is if the person at the top is told
what is not working.

Go-Ahead here because the gateline at London Bridge is manned by
Southern staff?

Mr Horton is now MD of South East Trains which transferred to GoVia
control on 1 April 2006.

Sorry, South East Trains staff - I've only ever caught TL and Southern
from London Bridge so I forgot it was also an SET station. So the
gatelines on the through platforms are manned by SET and the
terminating platforms are Southern, then?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old May 19th 06, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:

This is almost what happens on Silverlink Metro already; LU (paper)
singles are valid, as are NR cheap day singles/returns. You can choose
which to use depending on which is the cheapest for your requirements.

Does this work? If in general customers making the same journeys are
now paying less. Will the companies not raise their prices to recover
the loss?

--
To contact me take a davidhowdon and add a @yahoo.co.uk to the end.

Old May 20th 06, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Howdon wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

This is almost what happens on Silverlink Metro already; LU (paper)
singles are valid, as are NR cheap day singles/returns. You can choose
which to use depending on which is the cheapest for your requirements.

Does this work? If in general customers making the same journeys are
now paying less. Will the companies not raise their prices to recover
the loss?

I think some tickets are protected by limiting any allowed increase to
RPI+1% (not sure if that's just season tickets). Travelcard seasons are
set by the Mayor & TfL anyway.

Raising prices on other tickets wouldn't do them any good. It would
encourage people to switch to cheaper Oyster fares (although they will
get the appropriate part of the revenue from those anyway).

The only option to increase profits (or reduce losses) would be to
*lower* (off-peak) fares in the hope that more people will travel, with
the additional travellers using their own paper fares. They wouldn't
lower peak (rail-only) fares because the price elasticity of demand for
peak travel is low (i.e. changing peak ticket prices doesn't affect peak
demand very much) and because services are overcrowded already.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7