Old May 11th 06, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default PAYG and Ken on news

Hi - sure all of you saw on London Tonight after ITV news last night the
bit about hopefully all train stations will accept PAYG within two years,
rail operators are positive about it because the customers want it, etc.

Good news, it does sound as though Ken is getting everyone talking and at
least agreeing in principle that it has to be done - exactly how easy/hard
that'll be is still up in the air.

You may have seen that footage of Ken and a couple of others trying to get
through the barriers at a station (Liverpool St) and failing, and having to
go through the gates.

Was this a publicity coup to show how hard it was, or was this a genuine
attempt to use PAYG and finding out they couldn't?

Because of the news item it was included with, it looked like a publicity
coup to demonstrate the system's failings. But they looked so genuinely
surprised they couldn't get through - almost as though they weren't
"acting". Anyone know?

Old May 11th 06, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:
[...]

They should have been able to get through to travel to Seven Sisters /
Tottenham Hale / Walthamstow Central - PAYG is valid for journeys
between Liverpool St and those stations.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 11th 06, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

But they looked so genuinely surprised they couldn't get through
- almost as though they weren't "acting". Anyone know?

It could have been a setup but may be because TfL staff passes are only
valid on tubes buses and DLR, not NR. I expect that's the sort of pass
that they're issued with?

Shame they didn't penalty fare them

(though they probably arrived by tube and went through the manual gate
onto the platforms to give the shot of them walking towards the barriers
specially for the meeja rather that arriving by train).

Old May 11th 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Much as I vowed never ever to vote Labour again since this phoney war
started, if Ken pulls this off with PAYG and irons out all the problems on
NR etc., I may well go back on my word and vote for Ken as mayor again.

I voted Lib Dems at the last mayorals (and Respect at the last local and
general election). But if Ken sorts this PAYG Oyster mess out, he may win
back my vote again.
Old May 11th 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

But they looked so genuinely surprised they couldn't get through
- almost as though they weren't "acting". Anyone know?

It could have been a setup but may be because TfL staff
passes are only valid on tubes buses and DLR, not NR. I
expect that's the sort of pass that they're issued with?

If it was Liverpool St apparently staff passes do open those gates as
part of that route is available to TfL staff (like on FCC between
Moorgate to Finsbury Park is available on a staff pass).

Old May 11th 06, 05:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 11 May 2006 17:34:44 +0100, "Dave Plumb"
wrote:

But they looked so genuinely surprised they couldn't get through
- almost as though they weren't "acting". Anyone know?

It could have been a setup but may be because TfL staff
passes are only valid on tubes buses and DLR, not NR. I
expect that's the sort of pass that they're issued with?

If it was Liverpool St apparently staff passes do open those gates as
part of that route is available to TfL staff (like on FCC between
Moorgate to Finsbury Park is available on a staff pass).

You are correct because mine certainly works the gates at Liverpool St
even though I travel on a permit if I use the Chingford Line.
--
Paul C

Old May 11th 06, 11:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote

Much as I vowed never ever to vote Labour again since this phoney war

started, if Ken pulls this off with PAYG and irons out all the

problems on
NR etc., I may well go back on my word and vote for Ken as mayor

again.

Define 'pulls this off'.

Are you happy for NR cheap day returns to disappear for journeys within
the zones ?

Once upon a time I had an Annual season from deepest Surrey to Bank
(W&C). Ken's takeover and simplification would have meant a one third
increase if I hadn't moved to a job elsewhere.

--
Mike D (lives in Surrey, no vote).

Old May 12th 06, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

My staff pass never works the gates at London Bridge (Southeastern
side) despite being valid on Thameslink / FCC services between there
and West Hampstead. I have to carry the T&Cs document with me to prove
to gateline staff that TfL staff passes are indeed valid there!

Cheers

Steve M

Old May 12th 06, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 May 2006 05:52:45 -0700, "Steve M"
wrote:

My staff pass never works the gates at London Bridge (Southeastern
side) despite being valid on Thameslink / FCC services between there
and West Hampstead. I have to carry the T&Cs document with me to prove
to gateline staff that TfL staff passes are indeed valid there!

These gates should also let PAYG customers through, though they still
have to validate in or out on the validators on platforms 5/6. However
this hasn't worked for a few months.

Old May 12th 06, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote in news:01c67550$0b2d7600
$LocalHost@default:

Tristán White wrote

Much as I vowed never ever to vote Labour again since this phoney war

started, if Ken pulls this off with PAYG and irons out all the

problems on
NR etc., I may well go back on my word and vote for Ken as mayor

again.

Define 'pulls this off'.

Are you happy for NR cheap day returns to disappear for journeys

within
the zones ?

Once upon a time I had an Annual season from deepest Surrey to Bank
(W&C). Ken's takeover and simplification would have meant a one third
increase if I hadn't moved to a job elsewhere.

I don't see why you couldn't have them both?

And if you have a gold card, you get a third off anyway for these
journeys even if you go way out of London. And so does your partner etc.

Would introduction of PAYG necessarily mean abolition of cheap day
returns? After all, you can surely get a cheap-day return on some parts
of NR that do accept PAYG, can't you?