Old May 12th 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

Default PAYG and Ken on news

My staff pass never works the gates at London Bridge (Southeastern
side) despite being valid on Thameslink / FCC services between there
and West Hampstead. I have to carry the T&Cs document with me to prove
to gateline staff that TfL staff passes are indeed valid there!

These gates should also let PAYG customers through, though they still
have to validate in or out on the validators on platforms 5/6. However
this hasn't worked for a few months.

Thameslink from London Bridge using PAYG is a disaster. The gateline staff
are convinced it isn't valid and the gates don't let you through. I'm glad
to be back on an annual ticket again just to be able to pass through there
without incident.

Old May 12th 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote
"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote

Tristán White wrote

[...]
started, if Ken pulls this off with PAYG and irons out all the

problems on
NR etc., I may well go back on my word and vote for Ken as mayor
again.

Define 'pulls this off'.

Are you happy for NR cheap day returns to disappear for journeys
within the zones ?

Once upon a time I had an Annual season from deepest Surrey to Bank
(W&C). Ken's takeover and simplification would have meant a one

third
increase if I hadn't moved to a job elsewhere.

I don't see why you couldn't have them both?

Once the W&C was taken over the only allowed option was a Annual
season/ zones 1-6 plus NR from the zone boundary to my home station.

And if you have a gold card, you get a third off anyway for these
journeys even if you go way out of London. And so does your partner

etc.

? only after 10:00 (CDR from 9:30).

Would introduction of PAYG necessarily mean abolition of cheap day
returns? After all, you can surely get a cheap-day return on some

parts
of NR that do accept PAYG, can't you?

No CDRs on Oyster of course plus all of them seem to be TFL fares IIRC.

But my question was if Ken 'pulls this off' by having 'singles only'
and making the former CDR buyers pay more until they got to the capping
level would you (and they) be happy) ? I assume that gold card
discounts would vanish too.

--
Mike D
Old May 13th 06, 02:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"TKD" wrote in
:

My staff pass never works the gates at London Bridge (Southeastern
side) despite being valid on Thameslink / FCC services between there
and West Hampstead. I have to carry the T&Cs document with me to
prove to gateline staff that TfL staff passes are indeed valid there!

These gates should also let PAYG customers through, though they still
have to validate in or out on the validators on platforms 5/6.
However this hasn't worked for a few months.

Thameslink from London Bridge using PAYG is a disaster. The gateline
staff are convinced it isn't valid and the gates don't let you
through. I'm glad to be back on an annual ticket again just to be able
to pass through there without incident.

You mean.... it *is* valid?
Old May 13th 06, 02:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

OK. question. I can get (I think) a CDR from Stratford to Hackney Central
and back, correct?

But can I not get a CDR from Stratford to Silvertown and back?

On the same line?

Because I can use Oyster PAYG on the latter, but not on the former.
Old May 13th 06, 05:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

My staff pass never works the gates at London Bridge (Southeastern
side) despite being valid on Thameslink / FCC services between there
and West Hampstead. I have to carry the T&Cs document with me to
prove to gateline staff that TfL staff passes are indeed valid there!

These gates should also let PAYG customers through, though they still
have to validate in or out on the validators on platforms 5/6.
However this hasn't worked for a few months.

Thameslink from London Bridge using PAYG is a disaster. The gateline
staff are convinced it isn't valid and the gates don't let you
through. I'm glad to be back on an annual ticket again just to be able
to pass through there without incident.

You mean.... it *is* valid?

On the Thameslink route it is valid as far as Kentish Town and also at
Elephant & Castle.

Old May 13th 06, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tristán White" wrote in message
. 109.145...
OK. question. I can get (I think) a CDR from Stratford to Hackney Central
and back, correct?

But can I not get a CDR from Stratford to Silvertown and back?

On the same line?

Because I can use Oyster PAYG on the latter, but not on the former.

You can't use Oyster PAYG from Stratford to Silvertown, only to Canning Town
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...06.pdf#page=12

[But you can instead go to London City Airport on the DLR.]
--
David Biddulph

Old May 13th 06, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
Tristán White wrote
"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote
Tristán White wrote

(snip)
Would introduction of PAYG necessarily mean abolition of cheap day
returns? After all, you can surely get a cheap-day return on some

parts
of NR that do accept PAYG, can't you?

No CDRs on Oyster of course plus all of them seem to be TFL fares IIRC.

But my question was if Ken 'pulls this off' by having 'singles only'
and making the former CDR buyers pay more until they got to the capping
level would you (and they) be happy) ? I assume that gold card
discounts would vanish too.

My understanding of Tristán's comment was that acceptance of Oyster PAYG
on a route does not mean that paper tickets have to switch over to the
TfL system. Both could be available, so that any traveller would have
the option of using either PAYG or a paper ticket (such as a CDR) for
their journey.

This is almost what happens on Silverlink Metro already; LU (paper)
singles are valid, as are NR cheap day singles/returns. You can choose
which to use depending on which is the cheapest for your requirements.

In this manner, introducing PAYG on, for example, Crystal Palace to
Victoria would mean that passengers simply travelling to the vicinity of
Victoria could buy the cheaper CDR, whilst those travelling on via Tube
to somewhere like Oxford Circus could use PAYG and avoid using two tickets.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 13th 06, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:
"TKD" wrote in
:

My staff pass never works the gates at London Bridge (Southeastern
side) despite being valid on Thameslink / FCC services between there
and West Hampstead. I have to carry the T&Cs document with me to
prove to gateline staff that TfL staff passes are indeed valid there!

These gates should also let PAYG customers through, though they still
have to validate in or out on the validators on platforms 5/6.
However this hasn't worked for a few months.

Thameslink from London Bridge using PAYG is a disaster. The gateline
staff are convinced it isn't valid and the gates don't let you
through. I'm glad to be back on an annual ticket again just to be able
to pass through there without incident.

You mean.... it *is* valid?

Yes... (Kentish Town to London Bridge or Elephant & Castle) but try
arguing it with the gate staff. I made the mistake of going from
Farringdon to London Bridge on PAYG some months ago and regretted it -
by the time I'd managed to get out of the station (after trying to
persuade three different staff that PAYG was valid), I wished I'd taken
the bus instead.

Actually, Thameslink is slow along that route that the bus is sometimes
quicker anyway.

If forced to do it again, I'd take a copy of the TfL fares leaflet as
proof that I wasn't a fare-dodger.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 13th 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 13 May 2006 16:49:00 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

[payg on Thameslink]

If forced to do it again, I'd take a copy of the TfL fares leaflet as
proof that I wasn't a fare-dodger.

Or I would simply threaten the staff with a report to Charles Horton,
their new MD, and Keith Ludeman the Go Ahead Board Member for rail. The
only way these nonsenses get sorted is if the person at the top is told
what is not working.
--
Paul C

Old May 13th 06, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:

In this manner, introducing PAYG on, for example, Crystal Palace to
Victoria would mean that passengers simply travelling to the vicinity of
Victoria could buy the cheaper CDR, whilst those travelling on via Tube to
somewhere like Oxford Circus could use PAYG and avoid using two tickets.

At the "State of London" debate today I went to the session on transport
with Peter Hendy (TfL Commissioner). One of the audience raised the example
of travelling from Clapham to Waterloo - from Clapham Junction a CDR with a
Young Person's Railcard is about £1.60 wheras on Oyster PAYG Clapham Common
to Waterloo and back is £4.00.

Hendy said he was surprised that there are any places where National Rail
fares are cheaper but declined to give explicit assurances that fares will
not be pushed up if/when PAYG is rolled out on National Rail.