Old May 31st 06, 05:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

Tim Fenton wrote:

ClogRail usually runs OK, but when things go awry, everything can go tits up
just as badly as elsewhere.

Possibly more so. Staffing is quite low, and PIS is designed to show
particular destinations only on trains that they expect you to take to
get there. Thus, for example, a few weekends ago I (and a group of
Explorer Scouts) wanted to go from Utrecht to Schiphol at
god-knows-what in the morning during engineering works. The ICs that'd
normally ply that route were off, and so the Stoptrein was the only
choice (replacement buses didn't start until later in the day). Its
Solari display didn't mention Schiphol despite my information saying
that it was going there. At the next station, served only by the
Stoptrein, it did.

One would normally put this down to a limitation of the Solari display
which makes it impractical to change it for engineering work purposes,
but the newer matrix displays that are appearing suffer the same
problem, as they've just implemented the old format using those. One
of our group (who isn't to my knowledge interested in railways at all)
suggested scrolling LED displays - maybe we *are* doing something right
over here...

Neil

Old June 1st 06, 04:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
oups.com...

ClogRail usually runs OK, but when things go awry, everything can go tits
up
just as badly as elsewhere.

Possibly more so. Staffing is quite low, and PIS is designed to show
particular destinations only on trains that they expect you to take to
get there.

Now you mention it, I don't think there were any platform staff even during
the day at A'dam Lelylaan, and it's very busy in the peaks, with the metro
next door, two tram routes and buses calling. There were staff at Hoofddorp
but probably because trains started their journey there.

Thus, for example, a few weekends ago I (and a group of
Explorer Scouts) wanted to go from Utrecht to Schiphol at
god-knows-what in the morning during engineering works. The ICs that'd
normally ply that route were off, and so the Stoptrein was the only
choice (replacement buses didn't start until later in the day). Its
Solari display didn't mention Schiphol despite my information saying
that it was going there. At the next station, served only by the
Stoptrein, it did.

Yes, they'd expect you to catch an IC - would that be one of the Koploper
worked ones that terminate at Schiphol?

The Stoptrein would be presumably marked for somewhere like Hilversum or
Duivendrecht perhaps (sorry anyone if I got the route wrong, this is from
memory). I think this is the one that carries on to den Haag HS and beyond.

One would normally put this down to a limitation of the Solari display
which makes it impractical to change it for engineering work purposes,
but the newer matrix displays that are appearing suffer the same
problem, as they've just implemented the old format using those.

The advantage of new technology is that you can do things that you couldn't
with old technology (but may not be arsed so to do).

--
Tim

Selective killfiling - because life's too short

Old June 1st 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Tim Fenton wrote:

Yes, they'd expect you to catch an IC - would that be one of the Koploper
worked ones that terminate at Schiphol?

I believe so, but those were off that weekend. During the day there
was an express bus, but not at 06ugh in the morning. That said, a
half-hourly service first thing on a Sunday morning is an example to
the UK...

The Stoptrein would be presumably marked for somewhere like Hilversum or
Duivendrecht perhaps (sorry anyone if I got the route wrong, this is from
memory). I think this is the one that carries on to den Haag HS and beyond.

It was to Leiden Centraal, but I think Hilversum was as far as the
Solari display went. I knew (more or less) it was the right train as I
had a HAFAS "all stops" printout, but it was still slightly
nerve-racking, given that a complete screw-up would have meant a missed
flight and probably over a grand to get the whole group (of 10) back to
the UK. I ended up checking at the ticket office, which fortunately
(and surprisingly) was open.

Nonetheless, a number of the group were somewhat surprised when I
explained that it was a quirk of the mainland European railways at
times, and you sometimes had to know these things, and to just believe
me that it was the right train...

The advantage of new technology is that you can do things that you couldn't
with old technology (but may not be arsed so to do).

A very good point - the mainland European railways can be very
conservative at times, NS being no exception. DB's (there are some at
Hamburg Hbf) are similarly poor, and aren't even as readable as the old
flap displays. I wonder if Krone, Solari etc have given up making
flapboards so they had to make the transition to monitors under duress?

Neil

Old June 4th 06, 08:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

R.C. Payne wrote:

Now where can I get one of the BR
digital ones that seem to be becoming quite scarce? When I was younger,
my family would quite often get the 20.05 off Rochester station, and I
always loved watching them tick over from 19.59.59. Also the pattern of
loud and quiet ticks depending on number. I will always remember the
TIC TIC tic TIC TIC tic TIC TIC tic clatter.

If you've got a spare £750, then I did find a place that was selling
refurbs: http://www.distel.co.uk/asps/details1.asp?ID=TG04. They'll also
sell you individual digits (including an interface spec so you can drive
them) - these are cheaper at £30 each or £100 for four.
http://www.distel.co.uk/asps/details1.asp?ID=RW44
http://www.distel.co.uk/asps/details1.asp?ID=PH26

Please note: I am not connected with said company at all - merely
tripped over the site while doing some research.

If you haven't got £750 to spend (or do, but don't feel like buying a
1.55m long clock weighing 58kg, for which you can have no logical use
whatsoever), and have Trainz Railway Simulator (either 2004 or 2006
versions), then you can relive the tik-tik-tak-tik-tak-clatter-tik-tak
sound, lovingly reproduced[1] in digital form. I too miss these, and
decided to make one - you can download it he
http://www.vsr.org.uk/?projectid=3

[1] Main problem was trying to locate one that was still installed and
running, in a public location, and without background noise. Actually
recording the sound[2] was the easy part...

[2] That gets a whole selection of odd looks, I can tell you. The
normals seem to engage the 'somebody elses problem' field, but neither
the staff nor the spotters can understand why on earth you'd want to
record the sound of a clock, and no-one will stay quiet at the right
moment...

James Moody
--
aka: Major Denis Bloodnok | (¯\
ICQ: 7000473 | \ \ /¯)
Old June 4th 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Now where can I get one of the BR
digital ones that seem to be becoming quite scarce? When I was younger,
my family would quite often get the 20.05 off Rochester station, and I
always loved watching them tick over from 19.59.59. Also the pattern of
loud and quiet ticks depending on number. I will always remember the TIC
TIC tic TIC TIC tic TIC TIC tic clatter.

There is one flapping away on the platform at Salford Crecent.

Old June 5th 06, 08:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 21:54:59 +0100, James Moody
wrote:

[1] Main problem was trying to locate one that was still installed and
running, in a public location, and without background noise. Actually
recording the sound[2] was the easy part...

[2] That gets a whole selection of odd looks, I can tell you. The
normals seem to engage the 'somebody elses problem' field, but neither
the staff nor the spotters can understand why on earth you'd want to
record the sound of a clock, and no-one will stay quiet at the right
moment...

Luton Airport Parkway has them, but you have the added distraction of
aircraft movements overhead at about one-minute intervals.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society