Old July 10th 06, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Route 395

Aidan Stanger wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

(snip)

Talking of diversions, I'm always amused to see instructions posted up
at Canada Water bus station on how to get to Canary Wharf by bus.
Obviously whilst route 395 was in operation the instructions were to
catch this bus and once north of the river alight on the Commercial
road for one of the buses to the Wharf - the notices gave an estimated
journey time of 45 minutes plus, and compared it to the 5 minute
journey on the Jubilee line.

Since the 395 has been withdrawn new notices advise people to travel
via the City, with an estimated journey time of an hour plus.

I joked with one of the bus station staff at Canada Water about this
once, and he said they were asked the "how do I get there by bus"
question so often they'd just put up the notices. He said that they
just weren't interested in going by Tube as they had a bus pass.

I can quite understand people being on a tight budget, but it's a great
shame they ain't figured out that a zones 2&3 weekly Travelcard costs
£14, a mere 50p cheaper that a weekly London Bus Pass.

But aren't they more likely to be on one day bus passes?

Good point. I guess in all likelyhood it's a mix of one-day and longer
bus passes. This is merely anecdotal evidence but when boarding buses
at Canada Water I've seen several weekly bus passes being brandished to
drivers (i.e. green paper tickets), though I've also seen a fair number
of one-day passes (i.e. red paper tickets).

If passengers were making irregular off-peak trips to Canary Wharf from
south of the river then they might want to consider buying a zones 2-6
off-peak Day Travelcard at £4.30 as opposed to a one-day bus pass at
£3.50. Indeed if they went for Oyster Pre-Pay then daily capping for
zones 2-6 would mean they'd pay no more than £3.80 off-peak - though
this should be compared to the £3 daily cap that kicks in if one is
just travelling by bus.

I hope that regular commuters to Canary Wharf from south of the river
(perhaps in particular those on lower wages) do find out about the
weekly Travelcard option - it would save many hours sitting on a bus
each week.

(Apols for the late response, I've only just noticed this thread is
still active.)