Old May 30th 06, 11:14 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default Tomtom

I'd like to buy a satnav, preferably tomorrow in Greater London. It must be
able to run Tomtom software, and it has to be slim enough to fit in a
pocket, not one of these hemispherical jobbies, so I believe I need some
sort of Pocket PC. Which one should I buy? Are HP still a reliable brand?
TIA.

Old May 31st 06, 07:09 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

I'd like to buy a satnav, preferably tomorrow in Greater London. It must
be able to run Tomtom software, and it has to be slim enough to fit in a
pocket, not one of these hemispherical jobbies, so I believe I need some
sort of Pocket PC. Which one should I buy? Are HP still a reliable brand?

You have three choices.
Dedicated unit. TomTom GO and ONE's. These tend to be the hemispherical
jobbies. The ONE can fit in your pocket but it's going to have to be a
biggish pocket.
Mobile phone. Windows Smartphones and Symbian phones can run TomTom mobile.
These fit in your pocket well because they are small. But the screen is
often small too
PDA. Most PDA's running Windows Mobile 5.0 will run the latest version of
TomTom (you will have to download an update). Just get a PDA which suits
your needs and budget. You might want to look out for those with a VGA
screen. You may also want to consider a PDA Mobile phone, such as the Orange
SPV M600, which acts as a PDA but is also a phone too.

The GO's don't require anything more but with the PDA you will get a
seperate receiver and you will have to install the software yourself. In
addition it's often tricky to find anything else but dedicated units in the
shops, it's easier to get it mail order.

Old May 31st 06, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
I'd like to buy a satnav, preferably tomorrow in Greater London. It must be
able to run Tomtom software, and it has to be slim enough to fit in a
pocket, not one of these hemispherical jobbies, so I believe I need some
sort of Pocket PC. Which one should I buy? Are HP still a reliable brand?
TIA.

TomTom Navigator software sounds like it would work well for you. The
TomTom GO devices (300,510,700, and 910) are standalone and probably
won't fit in your pocket but are still great devices. Plus, any TomTom
device you go with is going to have the Tele Atlas maps which have a
solid reputation.

Old May 31st 06, 01:29 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...

Plus, any TomTom
device you go with is going to have the Tele Atlas maps which have a
solid reputation.

LOL!

Old May 31st 06, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article , John Rowland
says...

I'd like to buy a satnav, preferably tomorrow in Greater London. It must be
able to run Tomtom software, and it has to be slim enough to fit in a
pocket, not one of these hemispherical jobbies, so I believe I need some
sort of Pocket PC. Which one should I buy? Are HP still a reliable brand?
TIA.

What mobile phone have you? I use TomTom5 on a Nokia N70 with a small
bluetooth GPS receiver.

--
Conor,
Grumpy Old Man.

Old May 31st 06, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...

Plus, any TomTom
device you go with is going to have the Tele Atlas maps which have a
solid reputation.

"Solid reputation" for what ?!?

Old June 5th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

John - I have a Fujitsu-Siemens LOOX N520 running TomTom 5. It's an
excellent slim pocket-sized unit. The LOOX has an inbuild SIRF3 GPS
receiver. It can be a bit slow first fixing position (maybe 2-3 mins
indoors), but once it's locked on the satelites it's very reliable,
rapidly picking up location if you go in a tunnel or under ground etc.

Tony

Old June 9th 06, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
I'd like to buy a satnav, preferably tomorrow in Greater London. It
must be able to run Tomtom software, and it has to be slim enough to
fit in a pocket, not one of these hemispherical jobbies, so I believe
I need some sort of Pocket PC. Which one should I buy? Are HP still a
reliable brand? TIA.

Thanks to all who replied on the group or by email. In the end I bought a
TomTom One, because it was nice and slim, unlike the other TomToms I had
seen.