Old July 30th 03, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tunnel Maps

"Christine" wrote in message
Can anyone out there, let me know where I can obtain copies of maps
that show all the twist and turns of the London Underground lines?

I often travel on the Northern (Bank) Line and it amazes me the how
the line twists, turns, dips etc. One dip is on the Northern
(Bank)northbound line between Angel and Kings Cross St Pancras. I like
it because it wakes me up before my stop. What causes such a dip?
Life without sex just isn't life.
Make love not war!

Can't help thinking the dip that you discuss could be caused by the fact
that Angel is on a damn
great hill compared to Kings Cross. If you walk the same journey down
Pentonville Road you
should see what I mean.

Hope that helps

Darren

Old July 30th 03, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Darren" wrote in message

Can't help thinking the dip that you discuss could be
caused by the fact that Angel is on a damn
great hill compared to Kings Cross.

Although ISTR tube railways sometimes follow underground strata, they make
no attempt to follow surface terrain.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old July 30th 03, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes

Martin Underwood wrote:

http://www.martinunderwood.f9.co.uk/kensington.jpg

Thanks very much, Martin. Unfortunately, the route shown is not quite
accurate as it shows (eastbound) a left turn out of South Ken station, then
a straight section, then another left turn and a right turn by Brompton
Oratory. Anyone who travels that line will know that the bends go
left-right-left-right with no straight section before the old Brompton Road
station.

Just about all of my Bartholomew and Bacon maps going back to the early
years of the 20th century show this straight section - unfortunately,
hard-to-check details such as this were often copied by generations of
map-makers and thus errors were perpetuated.

Your map looks like an updated version of my Bartholomew street atlas of
1956, which shows the same route. I was hoping to find a more accurate one!

The best I can come up with is shown at
http://www.musonix.demon.co.uk/temp/southken.JPG

This is scanned from a 1940's A-to-Z and shows the first bend (going
east) in a more serpentine fashion - the second bend is not marked but
clearly follows the line of the Brompton Road.

Its not greatly different to Martin's map - in both cases the angle of
the Piccadilly's arrival at South Ken (from the east) is distorted by
the map-maker's wish to show it separately from the District by crossing
the latter and sending it too far south.

I suspect that a tube of this age would have stayed under streets (in
this case South Terrace) as far as possible before turning sharp north
(under private property for a short distance) and then continuing under
the curve of the Brompton Road.

--
Paul Terry
Old July 30th 03, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

At Angel there is the famous "world's longest escalator" ...

For suitable values of "world".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "...one man's feature is another man's bug."
--Chris Torek
Old July 30th 03, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:29:45 GMT, /dev/[email protected] (Justa Lurker) wrote:
It was Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:23:44 +0100, and Dave
wrote in uk.transport.london:
| Might that not be simply because 'Angel is on a damn great hill'?

The hill on the surface is compensated for by putting the station
further underground. Surface terrain is not the same as the levels
they have chosen to place the rails at.

John Rowland has a nice diagram illustrating this in action on the
Edgware branch of the Northern line...

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...69/ltheath.gif

Sam
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge
www.samholloway.co.uk

Old July 30th 03, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
At Angel there is the famous "world's longest escalator" ...

For suitable values of "world".

Any idea how it compares with Barrikadia on the Moscow underground?
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Old July 30th 03, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Justa Lurker writes
| Might that not be simply because 'Angel is on a damn great hill'?

The hill on the surface is compensated for by putting the station
further underground. Surface terrain is not the same as the levels
they have chosen to place the rails at.

That was precisely my point. As was made perfectly clear in the part
that you snipped.

--
Dave
Old July 31st 03, 04:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

It was Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:12:32 +0100, and Dave
wrote in uk.transport.london:
| The hill on the surface is compensated for by putting the station
| further underground. Surface terrain is not the same as the levels
| they have chosen to place the rails at.
|
| That was precisely my point. As was made perfectly clear in the part
| that you snipped.

I snipped no word that you authored.

JL

Old July 31st 03, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Justa Lurker writes
| The hill on the surface is compensated for by putting the station
| further underground. Surface terrain is not the same as the levels
| they have chosen to place the rails at.
|
| That was precisely my point. As was made perfectly clear in the part
| that you snipped.

I snipped no word that you authored.

You snipped the context - as you well know. There's no need to try and
be a clever **** about it.

The previous poster said; "On the other hand, Angel station is very much
further underground."

I replied "Might that not be simply because 'Angel is on a damn great
hill'?"

And you added "The hill on the surface is compensated for by putting the
station further underground".

There you are.

--
Dave
Old July 31st 03, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Steve wrote:
In article , Mark Brader
writes
At Angel there is the famous "world's longest escalator" ...

For suitable values of "world".

Hmmm. Arbatskaya has longer, I'm sure.

What about the Mid-Levels escalator in Hong Kong which, for additional
I-Spy points, is outdoors