Old July 15th 04, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Maps of London on the internet

Hi all,

Does anyone suspect which of the various street maps of *Greater* London
which can be found on the internet is the newest? (I would include the TfL
journey planner as one candidate, because if one asks for a walking route
between two points close together, one gets a very detailed map.)

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old July 15th 04, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...
Hi all,

Does anyone suspect which of the various street maps of *Greater*

London
which can be found on the internet is the newest? (I would include

the TfL
journey planner as one candidate, because if one asks for a walking

route
between two points close together, one gets a very detailed map.)

--

The cycling maps of London, on the internet at
www.londoncyclenetwork.org.uk have the Geographers A-Z map as the

They do have all of Greater London, but since it's an A-Z you don't
see a very big area at any one time.

Actually, I'm not sure it's even the best journey planner for
cycling, since its love of sending you down the London Cycle Network
verges on the demented. The TfL Journey Planner chooses better
routes, and seems to know about bike only short cuts, although it is
a bit inconsistent in its knowledge of one way streets. I'm not sure
it would be an acceptable excuse to the police "Well TfL told me to
come this way."

Jeremy Parker

Old July 15th 04, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Does anyone suspect which of the various street maps of *Greater* London
which can be found on the internet is the newest? (I would include the TfL
journey planner as one candidate, because if one asks for a walking route
between two points close together, one gets a very detailed map.)

streetmap.co.uk and multimap.com both credit 'Collins Bartholomew
2003' as their source for 'A to Z' scale maps. tfl's Journey Planner's
maps say (eventually - site is terrible slow at times) '(c) 2001
NAVTEQ/PTV AG/Map&Guide', but despite this, only the latter shows the
Diana Memorial Fountain in Kensington Gardens.

I tried to think of a relatively recent road layout change, or
similar, with which to test them, but I couldn't.

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please.
Old July 15th 04, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Hi all,

Does anyone suspect which of the various street maps of *Greater*
London which can be found on the internet is the newest? (I would
include the TfL journey planner as one candidate, because if one
asks for a walking route between two points close together, one
gets a very detailed map.)

Both Streetmap and Multimap have maps that say (C) Collins Bartholemew
2003. However, the Multimap one is more up to date, at least for
Chiswick. Compare the roundabout at the eastern end of Edensor Road;
look for Corney Reach Way east of the roundabout, and Chiswick Pier on
the river. Streetmap is out of date here, though its aerial photos are
OK.

The .pdf maps in the TfL Journey Planner are out of date for this area.
The JP doesn't even recognise Corney Reach Way as a road.

MapQuest ( http://www.mapquest.com/maps/main.adp?countrycode=GB ) has
maps with a date of 2004, and show Corney Reach Way correctly, but not
the Pier (but then it isn't a road).

--
Richard J.

Old July 16th 04, 09:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(LarryLard) wrote...
I tried to think of a relatively recent road layout change, or
similar, with which to test them, but I couldn't.

Have a look at Canary Wharf, specifically the developments around
Heron Quays. Streetmap.co.uk does not show Bank Street, Upper Bank
Street, etc. But multimap.com does.

Graham

Old July 17th 04, 06:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Graham Hick wrote:

Have a look at Canary Wharf, specifically the developments around
Heron Quays. Streetmap.co.uk does not show Bank Street, Upper Bank
Street, etc. But multimap.com does.

Unfortunately, multimap seem to be illiterate ****wits. Even after pointing
out several times that they can't spell Beckton Park correctly (and despite
it being spelled correctly on map graphic directly above their error),
they've entirely failed to take on board my correction. Given their
incorrect attitude toward accuracy, I now refuse to use them.
--
Ian Tindale
Old July 17th 04, 10:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Tindale wrote:
Graham Hick wrote:

Have a look at Canary Wharf, specifically the developments around
Heron Quays. Streetmap.co.uk does not show Bank Street, Upper Bank
Street, etc. But multimap.com does.

Unfortunately, multimap seem to be illiterate ****wits. Even after pointing
out several times that they can't spell Beckton Park correctly (and despite
it being spelled correctly on map graphic directly above their error),
they've entirely failed to take on board my correction. Given their
incorrect attitude toward accuracy, I now refuse to use them.

I've read that some mapmakers put deliberate mistakes into their
maps so they can catch copyists -- who'd make the same few mistakes
out of the many thousands of details in a map? If so, you may
be asking them to change one of their signatures, which may explain
their reluctance to fix it. Alternatively, they may just be
$GENERIC_INSULT.

#Paul