London Banter

-   -   St Johns Wood or St John's Wood? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4234-st-johns-wood-st-johns.html)

Stimpy July 8th 06 01:56 PM

St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

On 8/7/06 13:42, "Phil Clark" wrote:

I tend to think that if panini is going to be used as a singular, it
should be one of those words that is always plural, like trousers. So
one panini, two panini.

I went to the shop today and bought a trousers? :-)

Chris Tolley July 8th 06 04:41 PM

St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

James Farrar wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 13:08:25 GMT, Chris Tolley
wrote:

Phil Clark wrote:

one of those words that is always plural, like trousers.

Never stayed in a hotel room with a trouser press?

Adjectival form.

Pardon? If you are saying that trouser is an adjective, then I'm
beginning to wonder what it means, and if it is part of the sequence:
trous, trouser, trousest.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10589947.html
(37 092 at London Liverpool Street, 13 Apr 1980)

James Farrar July 8th 06 06:59 PM

St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

wrote:

Phil Clark wrote:

one of those words that is always plural, like trousers.

Never stayed in a hotel room with a trouser press?

Adjectival form.

Pardon? If you are saying that trouser is an adjective, then I'm
beginning to wonder what it means, and if it is part of the sequence:
trous, trouser, trousest.

Sure it's an adjective. It modifies the word "press", telling you what
kind of a press it is.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com

Richard J. July 8th 06 09:24 PM

wrote:

On 8/7/06 13:42, "Phil Clark" wrote:

I tend to think that if panini is going to be used as a singular,
it should be one of those words that is always plural, like
trousers. So one panini, two panini.

I went to the shop today and bought a trousers? :-)

OK then, gallows.

You bought gallows in a shop?? Is that legal?
--
Richard J.

Chris Tolley July 8th 06 10:18 PM

wrote:

Phil Clark wrote:

one of those words that is always plural, like trousers.

Never stayed in a hotel room with a trouser press?

Adjectival form.

Pardon? If you are saying that trouser is an adjective, then I'm
beginning to wonder what it means, and if it is part of the sequence:
trous, trouser, trousest.

Sure it's an adjective. It modifies the word "press", telling you what
kind of a press it is.

Such an idea gives me an ache. The adjective "head" tells you what kind
of an ache.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683667.html
(50001 (Class 114) at Sheffield Midland, Dec 1979)

Phil Clark July 8th 06 11:30 PM

St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

wrote:

On 8/7/06 13:42, "Phil Clark" wrote:

I tend to think that if panini is going to be used as a singular,
it should be one of those words that is always plural, like
trousers. So one panini, two panini.

I went to the shop today and bought a trousers? :-)

OK then, gallows.

You bought gallows in a shop?? Is that legal?

Entirely. Using it is a bit dodgy, though.

Phil Clark July 8th 06 11:31 PM

wrote:

On 8/7/06 13:42, "Phil Clark" wrote:

I tend to think that if panini is going to be used as a singular,
it should be one of those words that is always plural, like
trousers. So one panini, two panini.

I went to the shop today and bought a trousers? :-)

OK then, gallows.

You bought gallows in a shop?? Is that legal?

ObPedant: a gallows....
^^

James Farrar July 9th 06 09:57 AM

St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

wrote:

Phil Clark wrote:

one of those words that is always plural, like trousers.

Never stayed in a hotel room with a trouser press?

Adjectival form.

Pardon? If you are saying that trouser is an adjective, then I'm
beginning to wonder what it means, and if it is part of the sequence:
trous, trouser, trousest.

Sure it's an adjective. It modifies the word "press", telling you what
kind of a press it is.

Such an idea gives me an ache. The adjective "head" tells you what kind
of an ache.

They have headaches; not heads ache.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com

Nobody July 9th 06 06:37 PM

St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 12:05:39 GMT, Chris Tolley
wrote:

Richard M Willis wrote:

"James Farrar" wrote in message

Simply wrong. It's the singular form of pence in the same way that
pound is the singular form of pounds.

"penny" is the singular form of "pence", so that "pence" is inherently
plural ?! I didn't know that.

Isn't learning wonderful.

We need the word penny (which, just to extend your education, also has
the plural "pennies") so that we can communicate properly.

Thus, we can say:

I have one penny. - this is how much money I have.
I have a one penny coin. - this is the form it is in.

And

I have two pence - this is how much money I have

I have two pennies/I have two one penny coins/I have a two pence coin.
- to indicate the form it is in.

zero centimetre, one centimetre, two centimetre.

Arguable. Perhaps correct in technical documents, but to TMOTCO, it's
zero centimetres, one centimetre, two centimetres.

As this is probably posted for Those Down Under in New Zild as of a
certain day 39 years ago... Monday the tenth of July... DC Day!

When pence finally made cents (sorry).