Old June 25th 06, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Which line is most interesting?

If, when visiting London as a tourist in August, I should like to ride one
of the underground lines in its entirety, which line and branch would you
suggest, and why?

--
jhk

Old June 25th 06, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:42:14 +0200, Jarle H Knudsen
wrote:

If, when visiting London as a tourist in August, I should like to ride one
of the underground lines in its entirety, which line and branch would you
suggest, and why?

The answer depends entirely on what you are interested in. Do you want
to see odd twisty tunnels [1] ? Do you want to see old style stations
[2]? Do you want to see the new JLE stations [3]? Do you want to see the
Tube whizzing through country fields [4]? Do you want to see an
intensive operation [5]?

I'm not sure there is a single line that properly encapsulates all that
might interest someone who wishes to get a proper flavour of the Tube.

[1] The Central Line from Liverpool St to Holborn. "double deck"
platforms as well at St Pauls and Chancery Lane.
[2] Lots of these but a few have been refurbished - Queensway, Golders
Green, Borough, Kennington, Sudbury Town.
[3] Take a trip from Green Park to Stratford on the Jubilee Line but you
need to get off to look around the stations to appreciate the
achievements of the architects.
[4] Moor Park - Amersham on the Met Line or Leytonstone - Epping on the
Central Line.
[5] Finchley Road or Wembley Park (just rebuilt) for the Metropolitan /
Jubilee Lines. Hammersmith for the District / Piccadilly Lines.

It would also be worth doing the DLR from Bank to Lewisham simply for
the tunnels, viaducts and the sheer interest of the view from the train.
If you want to do some "culture" then get off at Cutty Sark for the
historic part of Greenwich.

--
Paul C

Old June 25th 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
If, when visiting London as a tourist in August, I should like to ride one
of the underground lines in its entirety, which line and branch would you
suggest, and why?

--
jhk

I'd suggest the District Line from Ealing Common to Upminster. That way
you see a variety of architectural styles, ranging from the Art Deco of
Ealing through the Victorian splendour of Earl's Court and St. James'
Park, with a variety of styles all along the route. Passing through
some fairly stunning modernisations, such as Westminster and Gloucester
Road, with lots of old unmodernised charm still around, like Barons'
Court and South Kensington, and a fair mixture of cut-and-cover tunnel
(between Earl's Court and Mile End), but open running at each end
beyond those. Also, some interesting parallel running with other lines
between Turnham Green and Baron's Court (Piccadilly Line), Circle Line
(on same tracks) in central section, and Hammersmith & City Line at the
Eastern end. If lucky, you will also be able to see the Metropolitan
Line as you travel between Tower Hill and Aldgate (i.e. Aldgate
Station) Central Line at Mile End and Jubilee Line at West Ham.

On the maintenance side, you will see Ealing Common Depot and the
remnant of the vast Acton Works past Acton Town, and get a glimpse of
Lillie Bridge Depot West of West Kensington, Triangle Sidings at
Gloucester Road and the huge Upmister Depot East of Upminster Station.

Similarly, the Hammersmith & City Line between Hammersmith and Barking
has large sections either on or over ground (on viaducts at the Western
end), with lots to see. I'd suggest that most of the stations are
older, and some rather shabby, but the highlights would certainly be
the parallel runnning with the mainline at Paddington and near Barking
(also of course on the District Line), and some interesting
interchanges at Baker Street, Farringdon and Mile End

Although they also have much to recommend them, huge parts (and all of
the Victoria Line) of the Bakerloo, Jubilee, Northern, Piccadilly and
Central Lines are in tunnel, and therefore not much can be seen, except
the stations themselves.

I hope you enjoy your visit and good luck!

Marc.

Old June 25th 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Jun 2006 09:23:47 -0700, wrote:

I'd suggest the District Line from Ealing Common to Upminster.

Not from Ealing Broadway?

--
jhk
Old June 25th 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Jarle H Knudsen
writes

If, when visiting London as a tourist in August, I should like to ride one
of the underground lines in its entirety, which line and branch would you
suggest, and why?

In addition to the excellent suggestions from others, it is worth taking
a look at Baker Street, one of the oldest of all "underground" stations,
where the Circle/Hammersmith & City platforms have been restored to
something approaching their original appearance - given all sorts of
modern operating restraints.

Also, if your definition of "underground" is broad, then take a ride on
the Docklands Light Railway from Bank out to Greenwich (Cutty Sark). If
you position yourself right at Bank you can sit at the front of the
usually driverless trains, in a "driver's eye" position" and enjoy the
very steep climb from deep-level Bank to above the rooftops as you join
one of the oldest viaducts in London - then enjoy the spectacular views
of Docklands before plunging under the river to Greenwich.

After seeing the sights, return to central London by River Bus if the
weather is good - or double-back to Canary Wharf and then enjoy the
spectacular modern architecture of stations on the Jubilee line on your
return trip (it is well worth getting out at most of them, up as far as
Westminster, if you are keen). I've lived in London for more than 50
years and I still find this one of the most enjoyable trips when showing
visitors around.

--
Paul Terry

Old June 25th 06, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
On 25 Jun 2006 09:23:47 -0700, wrote:

I'd suggest the District Line from Ealing Common to Upminster.

Not from Ealing Broadway?

--
jhk

Sorry - typographical error on my part! Yes, of course, Ealing
Broadway!

Marc.

Old June 25th 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Jarle H Knudsen
writes

[...]

I agree, Paul.

I normally hate modern architecture but, for some reason, the new
stations on the Jubilee Line I find very appealing, especially Canary
Wharf. Well done T.f.L. on maintaining the tradition of excellence
that has (almost) always been its hallmark.

Marc.

Old June 25th 06, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

If, when visiting London as a tourist in August, I should like to ride
one of the underground lines in its entirety, which line and branch
would you suggest, and why?

The Victoria Line - it's the shortest!

For my money, it would have to be one with both ends in the sticks, so you
can get a feel for the huge size of the whole thing; the Central would be
an obvious contender, as would the District. The latter is probably a lot
more interesting to look at, due to being subsurface rather than deep
tube.

tom

--
Yesterday's research projects are today's utilities and tomorrow's
historical footnotes. -- Roy Smith
Old June 26th 06, 12:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

The Victoria Line - it's the shortest!

No it isn't. Allowing for the Waterloo and City to be still closed in
August, the shortest line then will be the East London.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old June 26th 06, 07:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Jarle H Knudsen
writes

[...]

Not to mention the really strange contrast of moving from the granduer
of the city to council blocks in a few minutes
HTH Phil