Old August 21st 06, 04:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube cars on Shoreditch roof

Hi everyone,
I'm suprised nothing's appeared on here already, but yesterday
afternoon (Sun 20 Aug) two cars of old 1983 stock were hoisted up onto
a roof on Great Eastern St. There are a couple of photos on Flickr
he http://www.flickr.com/photos/jailuss...n/photostream/
It looks from the pictures as if the cars are the stub of old line into
Broad St station- but why are they there? Can anyone solve the mystery?

Seb

Old August 21st 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
" writes
Hi everyone,
I'm suprised nothing's appeared on here already, but yesterday
afternoon (Sun 20 Aug) two cars of old 1983 stock were hoisted up onto
a roof on Great Eastern St. There are a couple of photos on Flickr
he http://www.flickr.com/photos/jailuss...n/photostream/
It looks from the pictures as if the cars are the stub of old line into
Broad St station- but why are they there? Can anyone solve the mystery?

I wonder if they are the ones that were removed from Uxbridge sidings a
couple of weeks go. I assumed they were on a one way journey to some
scrap yard.
Old August 21st 06, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:00:03 +0100, Steve Fitzgerald ]
wrote:

In message .com,
" writes
Hi everyone,
I'm suprised nothing's appeared on here already, but yesterday
afternoon (Sun 20 Aug) two cars of old 1983 stock were hoisted up onto
a roof on Great Eastern St. There are a couple of photos on Flickr
he http://www.flickr.com/photos/jailuss...n/photostream/
It looks from the pictures as if the cars are the stub of old line into
Broad St station- but why are they there? Can anyone solve the mystery?

I wonder if they are the ones that were removed from Uxbridge sidings a
couple of weeks go. I assumed they were on a one way journey to some
scrap yard.

Yes they are those units.

Let's just say it's been a bloody long process to get rid of the damn
things. We're currently trying to get rid of the static graffiti
display at Cockfosters as well.
--
Paul C

Old August 21st 06, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm suprised nothing's appeared on here already, but yesterday
afternoon (Sun 20 Aug) two cars of old 1983 stock were hoisted up
onto a roof on Great Eastern St. There are a couple of photos on
Flickr he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jailuss...n/photostream/ It
looks from the pictures as if the cars are the stub of old line into
Broad St station- but why are they there? Can anyone solve the
mystery?

I read something last week that said that they had been purchased for
commercial use - the suggestion was as temporary office accomodation
(although I couldn't see their suitability). Perhaps someone wants them as
greenhouses?

Old August 21st 06, 06:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

I'm suprised nothing's appeared on here already, but yesterday
afternoon (Sun 20 Aug) two cars of old 1983 stock were hoisted up onto
a roof on Great Eastern St. There are a couple of photos on Flickr
he http://www.flickr.com/photos/jailuss...n/photostream/
It looks from the pictures as if the cars are the stub of old line into
Broad St station- but why are they there? Can anyone solve the mystery?

I wonder if they are the ones that were removed from Uxbridge sidings a
couple of weeks go. I assumed they were on a one way journey to some
scrap yard.

Yes they are those units.

Let's just say it's been a bloody long process to get rid of the damn
things. We're currently trying to get rid of the static graffiti
display at Cockfosters as well.

Oh yes, and the Sarf Arrer ones too I don't doubt.

I gather, many months ago, a team descended on the CFS ones to establish
what would be required to get rid. My contact (one of the DMTs who
attended) advised that they've been there so long now that they're
rusted to the rails and require a huuge crane to get them out.

Old August 21st 06, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:34:29 GMT, "Jack Taylor"

Hi everyone,
I'm suprised nothing's appeared on here already, but yesterday
afternoon (Sun 20 Aug) two cars of old 1983 stock were hoisted up
onto a roof on Great Eastern St. There are a couple of photos on
Flickr he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jailuss...n/photostream/ It
looks from the pictures as if the cars are the stub of old line into
Broad St station- but why are they there? Can anyone solve the
mystery?

I read something last week that said that they had been purchased for
commercial use - the suggestion was as temporary office accomodation
(although I couldn't see their suitability). Perhaps someone wants them as
greenhouses?

They are to be converted for use as artists studios.
--
Paul C

Old August 22nd 06, 01:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

They are to be converted for use as artists studios.
--

Ah, of course. My guess was that they were going to become a bar
(everything in Shoreditch gets turned into a bar if you turn your back

Old August 22nd 06, 11:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
I gather, many months ago, a team descended on the CFS ones to establish
what would be required to get rid. My contact (one of the DMTs who
attended) advised that they've been there so long now that they're
rusted to the rails and require a huuge crane to get them out.

Perhaps someone should have shunted them up & down occasionally then
they
wouldn't have rusted to the rails. I'm sure they still worked at least
for a while.

B2003

Old August 22nd 06, 11:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
Let's just say it's been a bloody long process to get rid of the damn
things. We're currently trying to get rid of the static graffiti
display at Cockfosters as well.

Far be it for me to state the bleedin obvious , but perhaps if LUL had
even half decent security in its depots the graffiti problem might be
somewhat alleviated. You know, a dozen big blokes with big dogs that
go woof woof at the smell of chav? Funny how private companies
can protect their premises but LUL can't. Perhaps theres a lesson to
be learnt there, who knows eh?

B2003